[COMPLETE] Dred, A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp, by H. B. Stowe - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: August 16th, 2019, 10:31 am Section 25 is PL OK! Good job. Wow. :thumbs:

That Dred is quite a character, and your rendition had me convinced I was listening to he himself! I wonder, did Stowe make him up out of her own imagination? And I don't understand why he isn't as well known today as Ishmael in Moby Dick, Jean Valjean in Les Miserables, or other such uniquely driven literary characters. I couldn't find a movie, either.
I've been thinking that he, the named character of this book, has so few lines in it.
I think you're right: the scenes where he plays a major role could be spliced together and, with professional editing, would make a powerful cinematic experience. You know anybody?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: August 16th, 2019, 8:56 am If still available I would like to be assigned
52 Ch. 51 The Slave Hunt
53 Ch. 52 "All Over"

I see that sections 23 and 24 are hanging in the wind, if iBeScotty doesn't want to do these, I'll be happy to continue my efforts doing Dred's gravely voice.

If this is the case, then I'll put the other two ( 52 and 53) back into the pool for other lucky readers.
Let me contact Scotty. Thanks.
BTW, for anybody listening, when you edit a post, no notice gets sent out, so it is very easy to overlook edited posts. Always best when conveying new information to write a new post. Editing works fine when you are just correcting information that doesn't change the workflow. Like when you've misspelled a word, or someone's name, or say something stupid you wish you hadn't!!!!! :shock:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The Clerical Conference, captures the spirit of the wrangling church so well.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dred_42_hbstowe_128kb.mp3 30:11
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

22 is PL OK. More Dred, dramatically read. That poor man is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Dred 42 Chapter 41

4:56 clouds of misrepresentation, you say misinterpretation (would not mention this if there weren't other items, though it is quite different.)
13:25 repeat "and find a need to ballast"
20:54, 21:17, and 21:38 "said Clayton", you say said Dr. Clayton. Delete Dr, as he's not a doctor!!!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Bill. No word from Scotty on two PM's and he's not active on LV these past several weeks, so I've assigned The Camp Meeting (sections 23 and 24) to you. For now, we'll leave the two shorter sections you offered to do, open. If they are still there when you're done with these, they can be yours. Thanks for your support of this project.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 10:32 am Hi, Bill. No word from Scotty on two PM's and he's not active on LV these past several weeks, so I've assigned The Camp Meeting (sections 23 and 24) to you. For now, we'll leave the two shorter sections you offered to do, open. If they are still there when you're done with these, they can be yours. Thanks for your support of this project.
Thanks (I think!) 23 and 24 are not easy. But, I'll record at least one of them today, and the other tomorrow. Then, I'll need a day to an At-Home proofing job.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 12:40 pm
msfry wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 10:32 am Hi, Bill. No word from Scotty on two PM's and he's not active on LV these past several weeks, so I've assigned The Camp Meeting (sections 23 and 24) to you. For now, we'll leave the two shorter sections you offered to do, open. If they are still there when you're done with these, they can be yours. Thanks for your support of this project.
Thanks (I think!) 23 and 24 are not easy. But, I'll record at least one of them today, and the other tomorrow. Then, I'll need a day to an At-Home proofing job.
There is no rush on this. Take your time.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: August 17th, 2019, 8:45 pm PL Notes Dred 42 Chapter 41

4:56 clouds of misrepresentation, you say misinterpretation (would not mention this if there weren't other items, though it is quite different.)
13:25 repeat "and find a need to ballast"
20:54, 21:17, and 21:38 "said Clayton", you say said Dr. Clayton. Delete Dr, as he's not a doctor!!!
Hmmm. I did the corrections on this, and didn't get it uploaded.
Well, it is up now: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dred_42_hbstowe_128kb.mp3 30:07

Easy snips, except for the patch which doesn't match well.
I'v made some changes, improvements, in my recording set up and the tone is quite different.
Let me know what you think, Michele.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Larry. 42 is PL OK.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 23, Chapter 23 Part 1 The Camp Meeting

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dred_23_hbstowe_128kb.mp3 35:39

Section 24 will be uploaded tonight or tomorrow.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 9:54 pm
I'v made some changes, improvements, in my recording set up and the tone is quite different.
Let me know what you think, Michele.
Not sure what you meant by this but I didn't mean to ignore you. I thought your old recording setup was pretty darn good-sounding! And I can't tell from the one replaced word how the new one will sound. I can give more feedback when you submit your next file, if that is what you are asking for.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Dred 23 Chapter 23 Pt 1
13:38 As the laugh that rose at his last sally, you say laugh of that rose, delete of

NOTE: The MW says Chapter 23, Part 1. and Chapter 23, Part 2. You inverted it in both the intro and outro. No big deal, but it should be done the same way in both sections.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded section 24 (Chapter 23 Part 2)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dred_24_hbstowe_128kb.mp3 42:59

In "Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenence", Robert M. Pirsig describes "Chautauquas" thus: Chautauqua is the most American thing in America! ... The Chautauqua varied in content, approach, and quality. Typically they were held in an outdoor setting under tents where the public could attend a lecture or performance. The Camp Meetings that Stowe describes here is just another name for a Chautauqua.

Note: Nina has lines in both this section and the previous section.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: August 24th, 2019, 4:36 pm PL Notes Dred 23 Chapter 23 Pt 1
13:38 As the laugh that rose at his last sally, you say laugh of that rose, delete of

NOTE: The MW says Chapter 23, Part 1. and Chapter 23, Part 2. You inverted it in both the intro and outro. No big deal, but it should be done the same way in both sections.
RE-Uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/dred_23_hbstowe_128kb_raw.mp3 35:39
with the errant "of" snipped out.

However, I do not understand your statement about "Chapter 23, Part 1" being inverted. I checked both the Intro and Outro and both say identically "Chapter 23, Part 1".
Likewise, I checked Section 24 (Chapter 23 Part 2) and found in both the Intro and Outro "Chapter 23, Part 2"
Please explain what your comment means.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison