COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 012 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 14th, 2019, 11:16 amHow, by the way, do you make a cedille?
hmmm I don't know. As I often write French or German, I use a "French-Swiss" keyboard here in Luxembourg, that way I have all the French accents and also the German Umlauts right here on my keyboard from the start. I know you don't have that in the US, because you don't need those letters much in English. There must be shortcuts, but I don't know them, sorry. :(

But the copy/paste thing works, I already tried it with other diacriticals in the Multilingual. For example for Polish or Czech special letters.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

On a Windows PC, hold down ALT while typing the appropriate number code on your numeric keypad to create the cedilla accent marks. Don't use the numbers at the top of the keyboard. Use the numeric keypad and be sure Num Lock is enabled:

0199 (Ç)
0231 (ç)

On a Mac, hold down the letter C key (or Shift + C for capital letter) until a popup menu offers a set of character choices. Click the ç, or press the corresponding number key indicated. Alternately, press Option + C for the ç, or Option + Shift + C for the capital letter with the cedilla accent marks.
Last edited by KevinS on August 14th, 2019, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

update: I checked online and if you use Windows, then apparently this shortcut works:
Some word processors, such as Microsoft Word, allow you to input special characters by using Control key shortcut combinations.

1. Press and hold the Control key (Ctrl on your keyboard), then press the special key indicated.
2. Release the two keys, then press the key for the letter you want accented.

For the cédille

1. Ctrl and , (Comma)
2. press letter c

I just tried it, with my computer it works at least.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: August 14th, 2019, 11:06 am The material after 28:24 is probably unneeded.
Yowza! :shock: How long did your recording turn out to be?

I hope Campbell will be able to PL this soon. Thank you!
Fongie

Post by Fongie »

dlolso21 wrote: August 8th, 2019, 4:18 am 9. "First Come, First Served" by John Maddison Morton is ready for SPOT PL.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays012_09_various_128kb.mp3
Kitty wrote: August 8th, 2019, 1:35 am > at 47:32: "aside to Julia" - I think this is an obvious error, it should be aside to Josephine, because he would not give Julia her own portrait and tell her to conceal it. He doesn't want her to find out that he knew about the portrait. Also it's Josephine answering, so this reinforces my belief that this is a typo, which I think should be corrected to make more sense

> at 47:45: End of First Come First Served by John Maddison Morton - you forgot to name the author once more at the end
I really like the way this one came together.

A big round of applause :clap: to everyone who played a role; a very superb cast. Everyone blended well together and reacted to each other it seemed to me that they were all recording on one stage together when I listened to it.

David O
Good job everyone what a fun play :D
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

mightyfelix wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:26 pm I hope Campbell will be able to PL this soon.
I'm trying to get to it tomorrow morning if that's ok with you.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:26 pm
KevinS wrote: August 14th, 2019, 11:06 am The material after 28:24 is probably unneeded.
Yowza! :shock: How long did your recording turn out to be?

I hope Campbell will be able to PL this soon. Thank you!
I left a lot of space between entries!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:29 pm I'm trying to get to it tomorrow morning if that's ok with you.
Thanks Campbell, that will be fine!
KevinS wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:54 pm I left a lot of space between entries!
Sounds fine. Still, I'd like to know how long it is. If nothing else, that will help Campbell to know how long the PL might take.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: August 14th, 2019, 3:38 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:29 pm I'm trying to get to it tomorrow morning if that's ok with you.
Thanks Campbell, that will be fine!
KevinS wrote: August 14th, 2019, 2:54 pm I left a lot of space between entries!
Sounds fine. Still, I'd like to know how long it is. If nothing else, that will help Campbell to know how long the PL might take.
28:49
lymiewithpurpose

KevinS wrote: August 14th, 2019, 11:06 am Thompson! Tomkins! Figgins! Spriggins!

I hope this is all that you wanted and that it is adequate to your needs. Please let me know otherwise. The material after 28:24 is probably unneeded.

I tried to leave ample room in between directions and explanatory remarks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everyboyshusband_narrator_ryan.mp3
That took me a bit longer than expected but here are notes:

0:16 - “ Everybody’s Husband by Richard Ryan” should be moved to the beginning

0:55, 0:58, 1:08 – as the directions were at the beginning of the line, you needed to include the character’s names

1:24 – repeated two lines, incorrect section from 1:10 to 1:18 should be deleted

3:31 – small matter here but I think the change would add to it, I heard ‘bell rings’ instead of ‘bells ring’

5:23 – ‘Twissleton’ can be deleted

5:38 and 5:55 – can be deleted, second one is an extra aside, first one maybe an editing note?

6:39 , 6:54 – can be deleted (editing note?)

16:51 – heard ‘chair’ instead of ‘seat’ (I know plays tend to be more specific with wording)

20:15 – missing line “Aside to Mrs. Pimpernel”

28:31 – 28:35 – I’ll let Devorah decide if it is necessary to keep, I would recommend moving it up earlier to the other place you mention the cast of characters

Overall, please take another look at your spacing in between lines (I am not including timestamps as this happens with most of the lines). Some are way too long (over 10 seconds is way overkill, please cut those down so it’s easier to listen to and stuff), and some are too short with under 2 seconds. In addition, you had a tendency to leave long spaces in the middle of your lines which should be cut down. Again, I am not including timestamps as it is quite frequent.

Overall, these stage directions are tricky and I think you did a good job with it. Nice work.
Campbell
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 15th, 2019, 3:33 pm
KevinS wrote: August 14th, 2019, 11:06 am Thompson! Tomkins! Figgins! Spriggins!

I hope this is all that you wanted and that it is adequate to your needs. Please let me know otherwise. The material after 28:24 is probably unneeded.

I tried to leave ample room in between directions and explanatory remarks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everyboyshusband_narrator_ryan.mp3
That took me a bit longer than expected but here are notes:

0:16 - “ Everybody’s Husband by Richard Ryan” should be moved to the beginning

0:55, 0:58, 1:08 – as the directions were at the beginning of the line, you needed to include the character’s names

1:24 – repeated two lines, incorrect section from 1:10 to 1:18 should be deleted

3:31 – small matter here but I think the change would add to it, I heard ‘bell rings’ instead of ‘bells ring’

5:23 – ‘Twissleton’ can be deleted

5:38 and 5:55 – can be deleted, second one is an extra aside, first one maybe an editing note?

6:39 , 6:54 – can be deleted (editing note?)

16:51 – heard ‘chair’ instead of ‘seat’ (I know plays tend to be more specific with wording)

20:15 – missing line “Aside to Mrs. Pimpernel”

28:31 – 28:35 – I’ll let Devorah decide if it is necessary to keep, I would recommend moving it up earlier to the other place you mention the cast of characters

Overall, please take another look at your spacing in between lines (I am not including timestamps as this happens with most of the lines). Some are way too long (over 10 seconds is way overkill, please cut those down so it’s easier to listen to and stuff), and some are too short with under 2 seconds. In addition, you had a tendency to leave long spaces in the middle of your lines which should be cut down. Again, I am not including timestamps as it is quite frequent.

Overall, these stage directions are tricky and I think you did a good job with it. Nice work.
I can do all this. Thank you taking such care with it. The whole experience is quite new to me and, frankly, disconcerting.
lymiewithpurpose

KevinS wrote: August 15th, 2019, 3:40 pm I can do all this. Thank you taking such care with it. The whole experience is quite new to me and, frankly, disconcerting.
I totally get it. The first time I read stage directions my list was much longer than this (and sadly the list doesn't seem to be shrinking for me even as I gain experience). It's a lot.
Campbell
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you both! Regarding spacing, a trick I've learned is to disregard spacing as I read my lines, and just read them in whatever way feels natural. Then when I begin to edit, I find a spot of about 3 seconds' silence, copy it, and then paste it in between each line.

Don't worry about the extra and maybe optional bit at the end. Just leave it as is. I will decide when I edit whether to keep it, and if so, where to put it. :)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: August 15th, 2019, 4:07 pm Thank you both! Regarding spacing, a trick I've learned is to disregard spacing as I read my lines, and just read them in whatever way feels natural. Then when I begin to edit, I find a spot of about 3 seconds' silence, copy it, and then paste it in between each line.

Don't worry about the extra and maybe optional bit at the end. Just leave it as is. I will decide when I edit whether to keep it, and if so, where to put it. :)
Thanks for being so understanding. I'll clean it up and consider it a good education.