1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
JulieA

Post by JulieA » August 12th, 2019, 7:02 am

Hello!

Here is my unprocessed test. I am using Audacity with Windows 7 and a Samson Go Mic. I know there is background noise from my CPU but I'll await your suggestions. :P

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_juliea.mp3

Thanks very much!

Julie Allan

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 13th, 2019, 10:37 am

Welcome!

Yeah, there's a good bit of noise in the recording, isn't there? :)

Your volume is a bit low. Try moving your mic slider in Audacity up a notch or two.

For the noise, if you can't reduce any of it before it hits the mic (if it's all your CPU, you can't dampen that, for sure!), then noise reduction is your best bet.

Quick text instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics

My settings are as follows:
Noise reduction: 10-16
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency Smoothing: 6

Because of the amount of noise you have, you might want to do two passes of noise removal set at about 10 - getting a new noise sample each time. It seems to be better to do two passes at a lower setting than one at a higher setting.

The volume and noise are your only issues. Try these suggestions and see what you think. :) Then post your results here.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

JulieA

Post by JulieA » August 14th, 2019, 7:24 am

Thanks Tricia!
I am having trouble installing the Single Band Parametric, though. I copied the files to the Audacity plug-ins folder, but I do not see option to "rescan VST effects next time Audacity is started" in the Preferences/Effects menu. I've looked through both LibriVox and Audacity wikis, but I don't see anyone else with that problem.
I can post this problem, along with a screenshot of what I'm seeing, in the Help! I have an Audacity problem! thread unless you know right away what's wrong.
Thanks
Julie

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 14th, 2019, 7:37 am

I don't know what you're talking about, so yes, please post your question in the Need Help? section.

("Single band parametric"? What's that, and why would you need to install it?)

JulieA

Post by JulieA » August 14th, 2019, 8:34 am

It's something I learned about following a link on the Noisecleaning With Pics that you sent. It was under "Removing Hum or Whistle before Using Noise Reduction," and it led to another wiki page called Removing Mains Hum. With all the wiki pages I was reading, I forgot that that wasn't part of the original link that you sent. :-)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 14th, 2019, 9:28 am

Ah. :idea:

I didn't see noise in your recording that would indicate a mains hum. Your noise is pretty general, scattered throughout the frequency spectrum. Just regular noise removal should work fine for you, IMHO.

JulieA

Post by JulieA » August 14th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Thanks for telling me there was no mains hum. Made things much easier.
Here is my new attempt, with mic slider moved up and two passes at noise reduction, one at 10 and one at 14 (thanks for the two-pass suggestion also).
I ran it through Checker and it passed with 89.1 db. Fingers crossed!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_juliea_reduction.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 14th, 2019, 2:24 pm

You're good to go! :thumbs:

I might suggest, just as a way to improve it a bit, to run the Compressor effect, with the Threshold set at about -14 dB. That will shrink down those spikes in your recording - the blasted-out vowels - and make it a little more even without much affecting the overall volume. Make sure that the check boxes are UN-checked. :)

Not a requirement; just a suggestion. Marking this off as OK!

JulieA

Post by JulieA » August 14th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Thanks so much!