My one minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
banjist

Post by banjist » August 11th, 2019, 6:38 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_banjist.mp3

That's the file location. My specs are a USB microphone and wavepad recording software on a Windows PC.

Thanks for any feedback.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 13th, 2019, 10:12 am

Welcome!

It sounds pretty good, but the volume is too low. :) It needs to come up about 10 dB.

Does Wavepad have any sort of editing functions - noise reduction, etc.? If I simply amplify the recording (in Audacity), the background noise increases also and becomes noticeable, so you might want to explore background noise reduction.

Finally, the bit rate is at 160 kbps; we need 128 kbps. This is usually a setting when you export to MP3.

There's a small program the spouse of a LibriVoxer developed to check the tech settings. If you're game, you can download it and use it to check the volume and other settings. It's here: https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html
Use the latest version. The volume information is in the Information tab. For volume, we aim for 89 dB, but anything between about 86 and 92 is good.

Holler if you have questions! And please post another test (in this thread) with the settings changed. :)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

banjist

Post by banjist » August 14th, 2019, 6:48 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'm super new to this and the only reason I didn't use audacity was that it didn't immediately recognize my mic, so I'll probably just trouble shoot that, use the settings suggested on here for audacity and re-record the whole thing.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 14th, 2019, 7:39 am

Plug in your mic before starting Audacity. That's the fastest way to have it recognize your mic.

If you don't, you can go to Transport / Rescan Audio Devices and it'll find it then. Or at least, it should. ;)

Either way, do Shift-I and select your mic, or make sure it's selected. Or if you have that device drop-down list showing in your Audacity window, do it there. (I have my device toolbar hidden.)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK