COMPLETE [FORTNIGHTLY POEM] Fruitionless by Ina Coolbrith - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Fruitionless by Ina Coolbrith (1841 - 1928).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/fruitionless-by-ina-coolbrith/
A wistful poem, capturing in a few lines the joy and industry of 3 of natures creations (flowers, birds, and bees), with the listlessness we humans sometimes feel.
(Michele Fry)
Each fortnight a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This fortnight's poem can be found here.

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording. If this is your first recording, you'll also find this Newbie Guide to Recording useful.
Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Fruitionless by Ina Coolbrith, read for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal url.]
Then read the poem:
AH! little flower, upspringing, azure-eyed,
The meadow-brook beside,
Dropping delicious balms
Into the tender palms
Of lover-winds, that woo with light caress,
In still contentedness,
Living and blooming thy brief summer-day: —
So, wiser far than I,
That only dream and sigh,
And, sighing, dream my listless life away.

Ah! sweetheart birds, a-building your wee house
In the broad-leavëd boughs,
Pausing with merry trill
To praise each other’s skill,
And nod your pretty heads with pretty pride;
Serenely satisfied
To trill and twitter love’s sweet roundelay: —
So, happier than I,
That, lonely, dream and sigh,
And, sighing, dream my lonely life away.

Brown-bodied bees, that scent with nostrils fine
The odorous blossom-wine,
Sipping, with heads half thrust
Into the pollen dust
Of rose and hyacinth and daffodil,
To hive, in amber cell,
A honey feasting for the winter-day: —
So, better far than I,
Self-wrapt, that dream and sigh,
And, sighing, dream my useless life away.

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: fruitionless_coolbrith_your initials_128kb.mp3

ID3 tags (Version 2):
Artist Name: Ina Coolbrith
Track Title: Fruitionless - Read by YOUR INITIALS (e.g. Fruitionless - Read by KLH)
Album Title: LibriVox Fortnightly Poetry
Comments: (optional) Recorded by [your name]

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalogue page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)
(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, August 25th (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!<p>

Magic Window:

BC Admin

(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming fortnightly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Fortnightly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
Last edited by msfry on August 24th, 2019, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/fruitionless_coolbrith_ks_128kb.mp3

1:40

A very nice poem. I feel a bit like this on my bad days.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Here is my reading Michelle...
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/fruitionless_coolbrith_dl_128kb.mp3
1:48

Also moving over to Short Works. :wink:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
jaxon517

Post by jaxon517 »

Sorry I'm new here. Do I need to post this in the New Project Launch pad if I want to get started or can I just record, upload, and post it as a reply on this thread? (I'm probably just missing something so I acknowledge and appreciate your patience!)
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hello!
Here is my audio recording ready for PLing: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/fruitionless_coolbrith_cjph_128kb.mp3 Time: 01:26
Kind regards,
Chad
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

jaxon517 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:11 am Sorry I'm new here. Do I need to post this in the New Project Launch pad if I want to get started or can I just record, upload, and post it as a reply on this thread? (I'm probably just missing something so I acknowledge and appreciate your patience!)
Please post your recording link in this thread. :) :D We collect as many different readings of the same poem as possible. Follow the instructions in the opening post above and have fun. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jaxon517 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:11 am Sorry I'm new here. Do I need to post this in the New Project Launch pad if I want to get started or can I just record, upload, and post it as a reply on this thread? (I'm probably just missing something so I acknowledge and appreciate your patience!)
Do wait til you hear from someone regarding your one-minute test. They will clear your specs and whatnot and save you from having to re-record anything. Welcome to LibriVox!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi Jaxon. The New Projects Launch pad is how BC's (Book Coordinators) introduce new projects for people to sign up for. To participate in a project, just read the Opening Post and follow the directions. Everything you need to know is right there. We do ask that you first submit your 1-minute test before reading for a project, and wait for someone to check out that your tech specs meets LV's requirements. This OK'd file lets all the BC's know at-a-glance that you're all set to go, too.

Hopefully you received your Welcome Letter with these and many other good tips. Also found here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=36743

Welcome to the LV playground.
Last edited by msfry on August 12th, 2019, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Campbell
pronouns: they/them
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

A fascinating poem. Great selection. Here is my contribution:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/_fruitionless_coolbrith_dcw_128kb.mp3__.mp3

1:35

Dave
brucek

Post by brucek »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Here's mine. Now I can start PL'ing the other ones.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/fruitionless_coolbrith_mtf_128kb.mp3 1:42
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:29 am Here's mine. Now I can start PL'ing the other ones.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/fruitionless_coolbrith_mtf_128kb.mp3 1:42
Did you need a listener for your contribution? It's PL OK!
msfry

Post by msfry »

DaveW wrote: August 13th, 2019, 6:07 am A fascinating poem. Great selection. Here is my contribution:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/_fruitionless_coolbrith_dcw_128kb.mp3__.mp3

1:35

Dave
Hi Dave, please correct your file name, taking out the underline before _fruitionless, and reupload it. It's a good policy to copy and paste the filename directly from the first post to avoid any mistakes, which happen so easily. Also, your background noise is quite high, as with your other poem. It really helps for you to submit your 1-minute test, and wait for someone to check out your tech specs for LV's requirements. They can coach you on how to address noise issues. Also, that OK'd test lets all the BC's know at-a-glance that you're all set to record, too.

I direct your attention to this short video, which demos how to use the Noise Reduction Effect in Audacity. It gets rid of background noise in a flash, easy peasy, and almost everyone around here uses it.
Try to bring yours down before uploading again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw
There are plenty of video tutorials on the LV Wiki (see menu bar above), which is well worth your time perusing.

Hopefully you received your Welcome Letter with these and many other good tips. Also found here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=36743

Please note that we can't put you in the catalog until you provide us with your preferred catalog name. Could be same as your username, or your Real Name, or whatever else you want to be known by. Once chosen this will go on all your completed files and once catalogued, can't be changed.