Obligatory Awkward Introduction Commencing in 3, 2, 1...

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
crawf349

Post by crawf349 »

Hi everyone!

I'm always awful at these kinds of posts; it's almost as if the appropriate information leaves my mind in the instant just before I start typing. Regardless, I'll do my best.

My name is Megan, I'm 24, and I'm currently a graduate student working toward my MSW. I've always loved audiobooks, as well as reading aloud. Even as a kid, I used to read books out loud to myself under the covers at night or in the tub. Nowadays, I mostly read books out loud to my mom. She's told me a million times I should get into audiobook recording, but I never quite knew how. I saw someone on Twitter mention this site and decided to give it a try!

Some more random facts about me:
  • I have 6 tattoos.
  • I have a stud in my nose, a septum piercing, and a lip ring.
  • I go to school online and help my mom run her daycare during the week.
  • I minored in Russian during college.
  • My dog's name is Dixie and she's the best.
  • I enjoy true crime, sci-fi, fantasy, historical fiction, non-fiction, chick lit, YA (occasionally), thriller, and horror novels. I'll start reading almost anything, but the real test is whether or not I decide to finish it.
  • I have a rare sleep disorder.
  • I once kept a list of every book I read over a one-year period and the list ended up being over 150 entries long.
If you'd like to know anything else, don't hesitate to ask! :9:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Megan. Wow! You certainly will fit right in here. I am preparing a series of 4 talks on what happens while we sleep and will be covering a few major sleep disorders. Since you did say to ask, I am asking: what is yours? Just curious and it's none of my business of course.

Anyway, welcome to LibriVox. It is so nice of you to volunteer. At first some things may seem a bit confusing. Be patient; everything will clear up eventually. I've made a little video to welcome people and share a few things that I think are nice to know about us at the start of your adventure. Note, these are just my feelings. In any case ask lots of questions, we are a helpful bunch here and want VERY much for you to succeed. https://youtu.be/mwtn_2d3_qs
Disclaimer: LibriVox has been known to have side effects of joy, happiness and tons of good karma. Proceed with caution or wild abandon, your choice. Toy not included. Best if shared with others. MSWs get extra bonus warm fuzzies!
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Megan,
So I take it your interest is in recording for Librivox. In that case, your first step is to get some recording equipment and submit your 1 minute test (as described in your Welcome Letter). Then, when you get the OK on your tech specs, poke around the Readers Wanted forums and find short things to read. A great place to start getting used to our process is the Poetry Weekly and Fortnightly projects -- we post a new poem every week. Or contribute a short story to one of our collections. The Opening Post on each project explains in detail exactly how to participate. I recommend you start with short sections. Each one completed will add to your confidence in recording, editing, naming and submitting files.

Welcome aboard!
ryfink

Post by ryfink »

philchenevert wrote: August 12th, 2019, 6:35 am Hi Megan. Wow! You certainly will fit right in here. I am preparing a series of 4 talks on what happens while we sleep and will be covering a few major sleep disorders. Since you did say to ask, I am asking: what is yours? Just curious and it's none of my business of course.

Anyway, welcome to LibriVox. It is so nice of you to volunteer. At first some things may seem a bit confusing. Be patient; everything will clear up eventually. I've made a little video to welcome people and share a few things that I think are nice to know about us at the start of your adventure. Note, these are just my feelings. In any case ask lots of questions, we are a helpful bunch here and want VERY much for you to succeed. https://youtu.be/mwtn_2d3_qs
Disclaimer: LibriVox has been known to have side effects of joy, happiness and tons of good karma. Proceed with caution or wild abandon, your choice. Toy not included. Best if shared with others. MSWs get extra bonus warm fuzzies!
Hi, I have two questions: 1)How did you get the dancing penguin? 2) How did you get the smaller italicized text/where did you get that quote from? Haha!
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." - G.K. Chesterton
crawf349

Post by crawf349 »

philchenevert wrote: August 12th, 2019, 6:35 am Hi Megan. Wow! You certainly will fit right in here. I am preparing a series of 4 talks on what happens while we sleep and will be covering a few major sleep disorders. Since you did say to ask, I am asking: what is yours? Just curious and it's none of my business of course.

No worries - I have absolutely no problem talking about it. I was recently diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia. Since idiopathic basically means unknown cause, most institutions won't recognize it as a disability and most insurance plans won't cover it. So, my official medical records say atypical narcolepsy without cataplexy. If it didn't, I'd have to pay a little under $2k a month for my medication.

Thanks for the video! I've got it bookmarked for when I have my set-up finished. It's a larger closet that I've got a little desk and a mic in, but I'm working on cleaning the area around it and finding a comfy, silent seat. Right now, there's a toy box with a little kitchen set on top that's parked right in front of the door. Once I find/make a better spot for that, I'll be ready to do my tutorial viewing and my technology testing. I can't wait!
crawf349

Post by crawf349 »

msfry wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:30 am Hi, Megan,
So I take it your interest is in recording for Librivox. In that case, your first step is to get some recording equipment and submit your 1 minute test (as described in your Welcome Letter). Then, when you get the OK on your tech specs, poke around the Readers Wanted forums and find short things to read. A great place to start getting used to our process is the Poetry Weekly and Fortnightly projects -- we post a new poem every week. Or contribute a short story to one of our collections. The Opening Post on each project explains in detail exactly how to participate. I recommend you start with short sections. Each one completed will add to your confidence in recording, editing, naming and submitting files.

Welcome aboard!
Hey, thanks for the tips! I have a Blue Yeti with a really cheap pop filter off Amazon, but I'm working on getting my set-up a little more soundproofed and a little more comfy. Just need to find the perfect chair... And also some sort of handheld fan to combat the humidity between paragraphs. I'm excited to test various settings on my mic and in Audacity to see what works best. It'll be helpful for sure.

Also, I never would have thought to look into poetry, but I can definitely see how it could be a real confidence boost to get me going! I'm even more excited now. :clap:
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

crawf349 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:25 pm most institutions won't recognize it as a disability and most insurance plans won't cover it
First of all, welcome to LibriVox! I'm just jumping in to offer my sympathy, I have a chronic illness that the CDC denies exists, so almost no coverage whatsoever (and I get intense treatment). And there are 5 in my family with this! Anyways, just saying welcome, and I'm glad you found some way to get some coverage. It can be very annoying without it.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
crawf349

Post by crawf349 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm
crawf349 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:25 pm most institutions won't recognize it as a disability and most insurance plans won't cover it
First of all, welcome to LibriVox! I'm just jumping in to offer my sympathy, I have a chronic illness that the CDC denies exists, so almost no coverage whatsoever (and I get intense treatment). And there are 5 in my family with this! Anyways, just saying welcome, and I'm glad you found some way to get some coverage. It can be very annoying without it.
God, that's awful. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. It sucks, which is probably the least eloquent way I could say that. I'm a little nervous to turn 26 and go off my dad's insurance, but I've got around 18 months to finish school and snag a job with benefits, I guess. Wish me luck, lol.
lymiewithpurpose

crawf349 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:35 pm I'm a little nervous to turn 26 and go off my dad's insurance, but I've got around 18 months to finish school and snag a job with benefits, I guess. Wish me luck, lol.
Good luck! I feel you on that, I still rely on my parents for financial dealios. I'm lucky, as I am currently on 29 different orals daily (yes I counted) and am about to go on IVs. I'd be screwed without their help. Well, hopefully I can cut out some of these meds before I need to pay for them.
Campbell
crawf349

Post by crawf349 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:39 pm
crawf349 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:35 pm I'm a little nervous to turn 26 and go off my dad's insurance, but I've got around 18 months to finish school and snag a job with benefits, I guess. Wish me luck, lol.
Good luck! I feel you on that, I still rely on my parents for financial dealios. I'm lucky, as I am currently on 29 different orals daily (yes I counted) and am about to go on IVs. I'd be screwed without their help. Well, hopefully I can cut out some of these meds before I need to pay for them.
I wish you the best of luck! Weaning off old and starting new meds is the worst, but it's for the best in the long run!
lymiewithpurpose

crawf349 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:42 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 12th, 2019, 7:39 pm
I wish you the best of luck! Weaning off old and starting new meds is the worst, but it's for the best in the long run!
Thanks! As for now I don't have to go off of anything, just adding the IVs to this. But I'm sure I will, which as you said is not good. And best of luck to you.
Campbell