[COMPLETE][SOLO] Capital and Interest, by Frédéric Bastiat - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 26th, 2019, 5:04 pm
williamjones wrote: July 26th, 2019, 3:04 pm Sections 03, 04, 05 all, every one of them is PL OK!
That was quick. Thank you! :D
His commentaries in Section 05 are very illuminating and make more sense now.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 28th, 2019, 12:01 pm Section 6 is uploaded. Leisure

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/capitalandinterest_6_bastiat_128kb.mp3 8:11
Section 06 is PL OK! (what else is new? :) )
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here is Section 7, What is Money? What is Credit? What is Interest?

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/capitalandinterest_7_bastiat_128kb.mp3 18:58
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: August 6th, 2019, 5:44 pm Here is Section 7, What is Money? What is Credit? What is Interest?

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/capitalandinterest_7_bastiat_128kb.mp3 18:58
PL NOTES:
I am almost (not quite) embarrassed to bring up this one divergence from the source:

7:27 heard "ninety laborers"
s/b "eighty laborers"
in subsequent text, the figure of "ninety" is heard several times, however.
Eighty? ninety? laborers... who cares? You want to pick this "nit"?

Over all, your recitation is very, very interesting. It's a pleasure to learn of Bastiat's writings through your charming Southern voice.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Two comments:

(1)
What is it with the size of sheep's heads that he goes on about?????

(2)
At 4:40.5 - zeno's paradoxes set in terms of farm produce!
Bastiat: "It appears, at first, paradoxical, but it is well known to all mathematicians, that, through all eternity, fractions may be taken from a weight without the weight ever being annihilated."
This is a reference to Zeno's paradoxes which "Prove" that Achilles will never overtake the tortoise in a race, and that an arrow from the bow is stationary and that, in fact, *all* motion is impossible. These proofs are all presuppose the infinite divisibility of time and distance. A very good, short explanation of this paradox can be found here:
http://platonicrealms.com/encyclopedia/Zenos-Paradox-of-the-Tortoise-and-Achilles
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

100 - 10 = 90. In one place the text says 80, an obvious misprint, because he says 90 every other place. I fixed it. As to sheep's heads and things being infinitely divisible, I just read what he said without understanding how that applies to interest. In general, Bastiat makes great points, but a few of his examples leave me scratching my head, as do paradoxes that try to prove what we all know can happen, can't!

I'll mark this PL OK.

Now to attend to the summary and keywords, and the cover, and this project will be finished. One more thing off my bucket list.
Alas, it is hard to find a good PD image of a sack of corn. Perhaps I should use a headless sheep :roll:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: August 7th, 2019, 6:40 amNow to attend to the summary and keywords, and the cover, and this project will be finished.
and the good news is that I am back from my holidays since yesterday, so just in time :mrgreen:

Let me know when all is ready and I'll do the final upload !

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Welcome home, Sonia. Will do. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sonia, I have edited my summary, but can't find a place to add keywords.

Also, I was thinking, rather romantically, that we might catalogue this on LV's birthday! What do you think?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: August 8th, 2019, 3:30 pm Sonia, I have edited my summary, but can't find a place to add keywords.
Also, I was thinking, rather romantically, that we might catalogue this on LV's birthday! What do you think?
haha, so you want me to hold out for another day ? I probably also have to check that it's already midnight in the US so that the server time will notice the correct date. :hmm: Ok, I don't mind. I have everything ready and will catalogue it tomorrow then.

Regarding keywords, I have many in already. You tagged it when you completed the fill-out form in the beginning.

Congrats to this fast completion.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here we have it, as desired, on LV's 14th birthday:

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/capital-and-interest-by-frederic-bastiat/

Will move it now to Completed projects.

Well done, Michele and William !

:clap:

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oops, Sonia, Bill pointed out to me there is a big mistake in the first line of the summary. Instead of "18th century", it should say "early 19th century". Is there any way you can change it?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: August 10th, 2019, 8:46 amOops, Sonia, Bill pointed out to me there is a big mistake in the first line of the summary. Instead of "18th century", it should say "early 19th century". Is there any way you can change it?
done ! sorry, didn't notice either. Thanks, Bill for your vigilance !

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

WONDERFUL! Indeed, thank you both.
I will now upload the cover, and it should be linked later today or tomorrow. Then, off we all go to our next projects. :9: