[COMPLETE][HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY]World's Story 8: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland, the Poles - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 7th, 2019, 8:53 amSection 68 Iceland historical note - time 2:30
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_068_tappan_128kb.mp3
ah, as soon as I finish there's another one :lol: thank you, Alan. And hey, they mention the Irish settlers again here, so I guess it was not a typo after all. Interesting short historical note again, and free of errors ! PL ok. :thumbs:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
PatrS

Post by PatrS »

I would be interested in reading for section 60.

And if you simply put me as PatrS for the catalog please and thank you.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PatrS wrote: August 7th, 2019, 5:05 pm I would be interested in reading for section 60.
And if you simply put me as PatrS for the catalog please and thank you.
Hello PatrS, welcome to the forum and this project in particular. I see you just passed your test and this will be the first project you're participating in :9: good choice, as the sections often are very short and perfect to start out with. I hope you enjoy the recording process.

I assigned you section 60 and here is your brand-new reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/13531 You will see all the projects listed in which you participate.

Please carefully read the first two posts, where you can find all the information you need about how to read the intro (the long one in your case), the title, the footnotes (if there are any) and how to name your file correctly. :)

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Have fun with your first section !

Sonia
Phjodor

Post by Phjodor »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_033_tappan_128kb.mp3
Duration: 07:49

I hope I did everything correctly with filename and such. I really like these history pieces, they're very well written and damn interesting.

Could I get section 40 as well? even if it won't be done the coming 2 weeks since I'll be away. If that's ok then I sure want it!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Phjodor wrote: August 8th, 2019, 3:26 am https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_033_tappan_128kb.mp3
Duration: 07:49
I hope I did everything correctly with filename and such. I really like these history pieces, they're very well written and damn interesting.
thank you, Phjodor, I will PL soon and let you know :)

And yes, the series is really interesting :9: you missed the first 7 volumes ;) but there are some 5 or 6 more to come. :D
Could I get section 40 as well? even if it won't be done the coming 2 weeks since I'll be away. If that's ok then I sure want it!
you always have a 2-month-deadline before your claim expires, so there is plenty of time to record without stress. However, Section 40 is already claimed and recorded and PL ok. Maybe you got the wrong number ? Please let me know. :)

Sonia
Phjodor

Post by Phjodor »

you always have a 2-month-deadline before your claim expires, so there is plenty of time to record without stress. However, Section 40 is already claimed and recorded and PL ok. Maybe you got the wrong number ? Please let me know. :)

Sonia
Ah, good that there are some volumes left! Then I'll probably contribute more later! :thumbs:

Also you're totally right, I meant that I want to claim the open section 39.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Phjodor wrote: August 8th, 2019, 4:42 am Also you're totally right, I meant that I want to claim the open section 39.
39 is yours then, thanks :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

so I had a listen to your section and wow this was well narrated. You have a great voice, sonorous and deep, so this is extremely fitting for this Viking battle here, I thought. :9: I'm already looking forward to your next section. Also loved the pronunciations of the many difficult names, do you by any chance know a Scandinavian language ? It sounded genuine to me. 8-)

I have a few small notes to correct though. Nothing difficult, so no need to re-record the whole ! Only do some spot edits in the time-stamps I'll mention please:

> your volume is below our accepted limits of 86-92 dB. (only 82.3) please amplify with 6 to get into a good average

> at 0:19-0:21: between the two intro titles: a pause of over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener, so I usually recommend to cut such lengthy pauses down a bit. 1-1.5 is fully enough between paragraphs

> at 0:38: in the title please always read everything, also the date. As this is a history project, especially the dates are interesting to know ;) so please insert "983" between title and author here

> at 0:40-00:43: after the title, also here, over 2 seconds silence could be cut a bit

> at 1:25: please also include "the editor" like it is written in the book. We usually read everything that is written, like the author wrote it. The pause after this could be shortened a bit again

> at 7:36-7:39: before the end disclaimer, also maybe cut the silence down a bit

The text itself was flawlessly read :thumbs: thank you so much ! Just reupload with the exact same file-name and the old file will be replaced by the new one.

Sonia
Phjodor

Post by Phjodor »

Kitty wrote: August 8th, 2019, 5:53 am I have a few small notes to correct though. Nothing difficult, so no need to re-record the whole ! Only do some spot edits in the time-stamps I'll mention please:

> your volume is below our accepted limits of 86-92 dB. (only 82.3) please amplify with 6 to get into a good average

> at 0:19-0:21: between the two intro titles: a pause of over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener, so I usually recommend to cut such lengthy pauses down a bit. 1-1.5 is fully enough between paragraphs

> at 0:38: in the title please always read everything, also the date. As this is a history project, especially the dates are interesting to know ;) so please insert "983" between title and author here

> at 0:40-00:43: after the title, also here, over 2 seconds silence could be cut a bit

> at 1:25: please also include "the editor" like it is written in the book. We usually read everything that is written, like the author wrote it. The pause after this could be shortened a bit again

> at 7:36-7:39: before the end disclaimer, also maybe cut the silence down a bit

The text itself was flawlessly read :thumbs: thank you so much ! Just reupload with the exact same file-name and the old file will be replaced by the new one.

Sonia
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_033_tappan_128kb.mp3
Duration: 07:47
Re-upload with the changes added. :thumbs: thanks for being so thorough.
Kitty wrote: August 8th, 2019, 5:53 am so I had a listen to your section and wow this was well narrated. You have a great voice, sonorous and deep, so this is extremely fitting for this Viking battle here, I thought. :9: I'm already looking forward to your next section. Also loved the pronunciations of the many difficult names, do you by any chance know a Scandinavian language ? It sounded genuine to me. 8-)
Thank you! Being kinda new at this the praise means a lot. I got the feeling that maybe me being a swede would add flavour, get my accent to work in my favour for once. :lol:
I'll do my best with on the next chapter as well. :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Phjodor wrote: August 8th, 2019, 9:22 amRe-upload with the changes added. :thumbs: thanks for being so thorough.
and thank you for the perfect corrections :thumbs: definitely PL ok now.
I got the feeling that maybe me being a swede would add flavour, get my accent to work in my favour for once. :lol:
:shock: you are a Swede !!! Well that explains the perfect pronunciations :lol: Excellent to have you join the group here. Thanks !

Sonia
Fongie

Post by Fongie »

Kitty wrote: August 7th, 2019, 5:55 am excellent job, Fongie, so great to have you read these sections. I was thrilled to hear all the local names with the correct Swedish pronunciations :9: Also the flight of Gustav Vasa through these regions was fun to listen to, as I knew many of these localities from my own trip through Sweden two years ago. Nice to hear them mentioned now.

The reading itself was absolutely perfect and flawless. I would only suggest a few cuttings in the lengthy pauses you do in between sentences. I know this is very subjective, but as listener, anything over 2 seconds really seems like a long time and one starts to wonder whether there is something wrong with the recording ;) Also I get easily "thrown out" of the action when the breaks are too long.

I would suggest the following cuts, if you wouldn't mind. Best start from the end and work yourself up to the beginning, that way the time-stamps stay the same ;) Also in those lengthy breaks there are often some clicks or sharp intakes of breath, which you could easily remove as well in the process.

thank you ! great job. Hopefully you liked the recording process and I'll be hearing more from you soon. 8-)

Sonia
Thanks for the kind words! I was practicing taking my time and not rushing; I guess I overdid it :lol:

Here are the files with the suggested editings:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_037_tappan_128kb.mp3 14:38
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_038_tappan_128kb.mp3 12:58

Hope they're OK now!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Fongie wrote: August 8th, 2019, 10:12 amThanks for the kind words! I was practicing taking my time and not rushing; I guess I overdid it :lol:
oh yes, I totally understand. I myself would be the first to tell anyone not to rush too fast through a text and to take some breaths in-between ;) When listening, I need to have some pauses between sentences to assimilate and process what I'm hearing. But still, over 2 seconds is even for me too long to wait until the action proceeds :lol:

Your corrected pauses are absolutely better now. And you speak slowly enough the things you're saying, this is what makes the pacing agreeable to listen and follow along. It doesn't need unnecessary long breaks in between to understand the story. :)

It's perfect now. PL ok, both of them. Thank you so much for participating here 8-)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and I had a bit of time for a shorty:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_047_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:55 min.

Jim, no need to rush this PL job, enjoy your holidays :)

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I thought yesterday how great it was that I had a free evening tonight so that I could get so much recording done! But then today I remembered that the webinar I'd so been looking forward to had been rescheduled for tonight. :roll: Ah, well. I had time for this one.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_062_tappan_128kb.mp3
12:17