Librivox material sold on Audible by Author's Republic

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
PandorasBox

Post by PandorasBox »

Hello all,

I first would like to thank each and every narrator from the Librivox community for making this project possible. It is such a blessing for avid audiobook listeners like me to be able to have so many audiobooks available for listening.

I am posting this message today because, as an Audible member, I noticed that many LibriVox audiobooks are re-published ans sold on Audible by a company named "Author's Republic". I recently came across "The Complete Wizard of Oz Collection" (https://www.audible.com/pd/1982720301) but they seem to have 50+ other Librivox-sourced titles.

I don't know if any action can be triggered in such cases, but thought I'd let you know.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Our books are released into the public domain, which means that this is completely legal.

It may seem unethical, but it's legal, and because of this, we can't and won't do anything about it.

Wiki page for more information: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Copyright_and_Public_Domain
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Basically the only thing some of us volunteers will do is write an angry review and tell people librivox makes audiobooks for free and you can download our books for free... so no more spending! But yes, it is rather unfortunate that people exploit free things.. like librivox.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I suppose that LibriVox itself could be sold. Wouldn't that be interesting?!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Since I have recorded all of the OZ series (all by Baum anyway) I was at first excited to see whether they used my mine but unfortunately, they were by someone else. Shucks! Anyway,I personally don't mind others using my recordings at all whether for profit or just fun. I've already had my fun doing the recording and been paid handsomely in that currency. Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Anybody can be sold anything if the marketing is right and you catch the buyer at a weak moment. I, myself, am working on flipping a bridge in New York.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

philchenevert wrote: August 7th, 2019, 2:39 pm Since I have recorded all of the OZ series (all by Baum anyway) I was at first excited to see whether they used my mine but unfortunately, they were by someone else. Shucks! Anyway,I personally don't mind others using my recordings at all whether for profit or just fun. I've already had my fun doing the recording and been paid handsomely in that currency. Image
It is you, Phil ~ take a listen to the sample. :D They made up a fake name, which seems to be the new thing with these type of operations.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Just so yall know. Authors Republic is just a publisher (basically its a acx alternative) so we don't know who actually posted the book! :| :roll: :evil:
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

EDIT: Botched entry.
Last edited by KevinS on August 7th, 2019, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just curious Kevin - how did you manage to get the quotes above all wrong? Did you recreate them or something ?

Anne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hmmph! My last name is French and means Green Oak Tree (Chene - oak vert = green). Chene vert Symbol of strength and virility! pronounced three ways even here in Louisiana so it ain't easy!!

So it is me eh? The reviews seemed completely underwhelmed by my narration. tsk tsk. But as one of 'em said, 'the price was right'. ha. Image
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: August 7th, 2019, 4:16 pm Just curious Kevin - how did you manage to get the quotes above all wrong? Did you recreate them or something ?

Anne
Wow! I didn't notice. I hit the delete button too much, I guess!

EDIT: I better fix it.
Last edited by KevinS on August 7th, 2019, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: August 7th, 2019, 4:34 pm Hmmph! My last name is French and means Green Oak Tree (Chene - oak vert = green). Chene vert Symbol of strength and virility! pronounced three ways even here in Louisiana so it ain't easy!!

So it is me eh? The reviews seemed completely underwhelmed by my narration. tsk tsk. But as one of 'em said, 'the price was right'. ha. Image
Chien vert. Hahahah!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

m8b1 wrote: August 7th, 2019, 2:45 pm They made up a fake name...
Thank God. I mean, how do you pronounce Phil's name, right?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

KevinS wrote: August 7th, 2019, 4:48 pm
m8b1 wrote: August 7th, 2019, 2:45 pm They made up a fake name...
Thank God. I mean, how do you pronounce Phil's name, right?
Chene rhymes with pen vert - rhymes with chair two syllables yeah, it's strange. Or you can say "chen' a 'vair. Or you can ignore it and say I'm cute. Which I am. (No, not chien dog, but chene!) Although one my nicknames in 9thg grade was green dog.