[COMPLETE][HISTORY/GEOGRAPHY]World's Story 8: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland, the Poles - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: August 4th, 2019, 6:51 pm I hope your Holiday was great fun and they didn't detain you at any more borders and you are back home safe and sound!
thank you, Nemo, and yes, I'm back safe and sound. Bunny is fine :9: all is back to normal

I have already reduced a lot of PL jobs today, but I think I will leave this project for tomorrow. Will PL you all then, promised !!!!

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kitty wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 1:53 am
The text itself was flawlessly narrated, only in some places the pauses are uncomfortably long :
> at 1:10-1:13: after “the editor”
> at 7:40-7:43: after “freezing point of human courage”
> at 13:06-13:09: after “polysyllabic societies of Europe
Section 44 fixed and reuploaded.new time: 25:58

Two more sections to add to your post-holiday PL load: :twisted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_077_tappan_128kb.mp3 (09:21)
Very interesting, but I did some choice swearing about some of the Icelandic names... :roll:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_087_tappan_128kb.mp3 (01:32)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: August 7th, 2019, 1:35 am Two more sections to add to your post-holiday PL load: :twisted:
:lol: thank you, Jo and Availle, I see I won't be out of a job soon.

actually my goal for today is to PL all the outstanding sections (17 so far) in this project. 8-) I'll start from the beginning, so let's hope I'll get to yours before the day is over ;)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: July 28th, 2019, 6:23 pm Section 55 for PL .... hope your trip is wonderful!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_055_tappan_128kb.mp3 2:57
Here is section 11 for PL to add to your growing list .... after you are all settled in, unpacked and relaxed!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_011_tappan_128kb.mp3 6:20
so let's start with the beginning, Nemo :)

thank you, both poems are beautifully read. :9: I especially loved the one of Othere on the North Pole. The other one was a bit sad, but still beautiful.

Both sections PL ok.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hopeforce1 wrote: July 30th, 2019, 7:22 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume8_036_tappan_128kb.mp3
Here is my contribution, I feel proud but it still needs prooflistening.
Hopeforce1
thank you for your section, Hope. Wow this episode of Swedish history was indeed quite gruesome. :shock: You have an interesting accent in the Swedish names, are you by any chance Scandinavian ? :D

The section is very lively narrated, very fitting to the action going on. :thumbs: However I found a few small things to correct before this is all ok. Now no need to re-record anything, just do some spot corrections, which are easily done, at the following time stamps:

> at 0:45-0:52: you don't need to say the title and author twice, so this repetition can get cut out

> at 8:31: (p. 154) stumble - "by whom the blood-bath was continued" - you can cut out the word "but"

> volume a bit below our accepted limits (86-92 dB), yours is only 85.6 dB. Could you please amplify with about 4 dB to get into the perfect average? There are some high peaks, for example at 8:32 and 11:29, which you could manually reduce before amplifying, so it won't get clipped

> also careful with the filename, you missed a 0 in front of "volume08". When you re-upload your section, please change the filename

> and please always include the length of the section when you post the link

thank you for this nice narration !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kikisaulite wrote: July 31st, 2019, 6:02 am Section 101 uploaded, duration is 05:17. Grand poetry!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_101_tappan_128kb.mp3
oh wow, yes, this is a great poem. I just read up on the fate of John Franklin. :( aweful to be trapped in ice like this and trying to find a way to safety. But these explorers must have known the dangers.

Wonderfully read, Kristine, thank you so much. It's PL ok. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 12:20 pm Here is 15:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume08_015_tappan_128kb.mp3 26.02 KB
27:45
oh ! this was a long section, Jim, thank you so much. Made up of some smaller chapters in the interesting life of Olaf, this was quite interesting to listen to, I didn't know anything about this man yet. Flawlessly narrated, the lot of them. All PL ok. :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 6:41 am Section 69 - Irish in Thule (time 2:09)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume8_069_tappan_128kb.mp3
I think the text here is confused between Ireland and Iceland, but I have read it as printed.
indeed this is strange...well they mentioned Iceland at one point, so I'm not sure that they just made a typo with the rest. :hmm: Maybe back in the day they mentioned the Irish people in relation with both islands, Ireland and Iceland.

Be it as it may, the section is absolutely PL ok. Thank you for another great contribution, Alan. :) (just careful with the filename: we need volume08, not just 8.) I'll change it in my folder now, since there are no other errors.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. I decided on this one because I had done The Heimskringla as a solo project and was interested in the difference in the treatment. Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Fongie wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 9:49 am First one about Vasa. Calling him "Gustavus" is weird since it's some sort of latinized version. He is called Gustav Vasa here :P
Section 37 (14:47)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume8_037_tappan_128kb.mp3
Section 38 (13:09)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume8_038_tappan_128kb.mp3
excellent job, Fongie, so great to have you read these sections. I was thrilled to hear all the local names with the correct Swedish pronunciations :9: Also the flight of Gustav Vasa through these regions was fun to listen to, as I knew many of these localities from my own trip through Sweden two years ago. Nice to hear them mentioned now.

The reading itself was absolutely perfect and flawless. I would only suggest a few cuttings in the lengthy pauses you do in between sentences. I know this is very subjective, but as listener, anything over 2 seconds really seems like a long time and one starts to wonder whether there is something wrong with the recording ;) Also I get easily "thrown out" of the action when the breaks are too long.

I would suggest the following cuts, if you wouldn't mind. Best start from the end and work yourself up to the beginning, that way the time-stamps stay the same ;) Also in those lengthy breaks there are often some clicks or sharp intakes of breath, which you could easily remove as well in the process.

for section 37:

> at 0:00-0:02: at the beginning, 2 seconds seem very long to wait for the section to start. We recommend 0.5-1 second of silence, not more

> at 0:25-0:28: pause could be shortened before "the world story volume 8"

> at 0:52-0:54: same here, right after the title and author

> at 6:10-6:12: before "and so after many wanderings"

> at 14:30-14:33: before "end of section 37"

> likewise at the end, just leave the standard 5 seconds of silence, you have over 7 here

> please also note that the filename needs a 0 in "volume08". When you reupload, please change the filename accordingly

for section 38:

> at 0:00-0:04: again, please shorten intro silence to about 1 second

> at 0:51-0:54: shorten after the title

> at 4:26-4:28: shorten after "branches sway against the sky"

> at 10:21: (p. 169) stumble and repeat "lest their memory" - can be cut out once

> at 12:52-12:55: shorten before "end of section 38"

> also please include a 8 in the filename at "volume08" before you reupload

thank you ! great job. Hopefully you liked the recording process and I'll be hearing more from you soon. 8-)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Jo, these are all wonderfully read and PL ok. After the longer sections, it's really a treat to get this info in a nutshells. :9: I love the historical notes. (though some info was a bit repetitive this time :lol: )

And with this, my backlog accumulated over the holiday week is worked off 8-) actually went faster than expected

Availle: I need a break and some food now, but I will get to your sections right after that !

Sonia
Phjodor

Post by Phjodor »

Hello there!

Seeing Sweden here I just felt like contributing. I would like to claim section 33 and I'll probably post it tomorrow :)
thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Phjodor wrote: August 7th, 2019, 7:43 am Seeing Sweden here I just felt like contributing. I would like to claim section 33 and I'll probably post it tomorrow :)
hello Phjodor and welcome to this World story series. :) I'm happy you're interested in the topics of this part. Section 33 is reserved for you. Have fun !

Since you're new to the series, please read carefully the first two posts, there is important information about how to read the intro (long or short), the title, the footnotes (if there are any) and how to name the file correctly.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: August 7th, 2019, 1:35 amVery interesting, but I did some choice swearing about some of the Icelandic names... :roll:
haha, yes they are quite special, but I think you did a great job with them. :thumbs: And wow the narrative of the eruptions in Iceland again reminds me what a dangerous holiday I was spending there a few years ago. We actually did a short hike on the Vatnajökull and our hotel was not far away from the Hekla. :| And apparently some huge volcanoes are already long overdue in their regular eruptions.

Sections 44 and 77 are PL ok already. A wonderful listen !

I have a tiny note for Section 87:

> at 0:10: "read for librivox.org" - you forgot "dot org" ;)

thank you ! And I finished the PL jobs for this project for now :9: Great readings, all of them. Thank you all for being busy while I was on holidays.

Sonia