COMPLETE [Solo] Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Sardonic indeed! I love Miss Dunstable, though--probably more so because I don't have to risk her uncovering any of my prejudices or blind spots.

Chapter 3 has a repeat of "some first-class official men do that" at 28:24.

My daughter is going to use her new degree as a Registered Nurse in a cardiac unit. She's following the plan of a first degree in what fascinates her (Biology) and a second degree to pay the bills (Nursing), only to find that the second degree was actually more interesting than the first one.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

That sounds wonderful.

I have removed the first of the two duplicates - I thought I had got rid of it before!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_03_trollope_128kb.mp3

We are off to see the Harry Potter play - Part 1 in the afternoon and Part 2 in the evening - my birthday treat for Helen whose birthday it is next Wednesday. I get to enjoy the treat as well!

Just finished watching Coco Gauff win her round 3 match at Wimbledon - breath-taking.

Have a lovely weekend

nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 4

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_04_trollope_128kb.mp3 26:38.4

It may be a little while before I can upload the next chapter as I have run out of my recordings to edit, and it being Helen's birthday tomorrow the next few days will be celebrating that - including a trip to Northampton Friday/ Saturday.

Hope your week goes well

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

A Harry Potter play! We've all been wondering how they manage the Quidditch scenes. Hope it was good and that Helen enjoyed her birthday.

Chapters 3 and 4 are PL OK. Quite a lesson in the mechanics of peer pressure.

My daughter is going to be a registered nurse in the cardiac unit of a university hospital. She's excited about it both because of the hopital's reputation and because it's one of the best places for first-year nurses. They have a year-long mentoring program, rather than throwing the new nurses out on their own to inflict their inexperience on the patients.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

The Harry Potter play (or rather two plays - Part 1 in the afternoon, Part 2 in the evening) was wonderful - the staging and choreography quite amazing and outstanding. No significant quidditch though.

The medical school sounds fantastic - such a good approach. I look forward to hearing how your daughter gets on!

Here is Chapter 5
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_05_trollope_128kb.mp3 37:19.6

Helen has just gone down to the Isle of Wight - all very stressful as the wonderful Christian Centre which we have been supporting - and of which Helen is a trustee - is having to close at the end of August, and she is having to take responsibility when there are too few instructors! Very worrying and much prayer is needed.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 5 has a couple of phrases missing. Both sound like edits, so I suspect you have them recorded already:

Missing at 12:47 "What letter, Fanny?"....It seems a little odd, because Justinia is speaking, and she already knows about the letter. Maybe that one is an error in the text?

Missing at 23:00 "I can't explain why, but I know it does."

Looks like the Harry Potter play won't be getting any closer than San Francisco this year. Maybe next year it will come to Seattle. Sometimes I go to San Francisco in the fall for a conference, so might get to see it yet this year.

Will keep Helen and the Christian Centre in my prayers.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

You were quite right - both were editing errors.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_05_trollope_128kb.mp3 37:24

In the case of "What letter", I checked with my Penguin text and there it is a new paragraph so it is quite clear that it is Lady Lufton speaking, not Lady Meredith; that makes much more sense of it so I voiced it accordingly.

I hope you do manage to see the play - Try and get consecutive performances, it makes a tremendous difference.

Your prayers for Helen and the Centre are much appreciated.
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 6
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_06_trollope_128kb.mp3 29:16.5

I don't know if you have ever read Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (If not, I would heartily recommend it) - she awards stars to some of her purple passages (it is a satire). This chapter includes a lovely piece of purple prose from Mr. Harold Smith - definitely worth 3 of Stella Gibbons' stars.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapters 5 and 6 are marked PL OK.

Poor Mr. Smith! Being upstaged by Mrs. Proudie would be painful. I so enjoy your Miss Dunstable. I don't remember taking much notice of her when I read these novels to myself, but now I look forward to encountering her. I would have loved to hear her opinion of Mr. Smith's "purple prose".
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 7
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_07_trollope_128kb.mp3 21:01.1

I enjoy Miss Dunstable too. There's a little bit more of her this chapter - not much though.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 7 is PL OK.

So nice to retreat into Trollope's simpler world for a little bit. Ours seems to have had more than the usual share of insanity and inhumanity this past week.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi His world gets a little more complex now - though still nothing like today's world.

Enjoy Chapter 8

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_08_trollope_128kb.mp3 46:53.7
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Complicated indeed!

Do you know what "and he points away to the East, where our dear allies the French are supposed to live" is supposed to refer to? I can't imagine a location for Gatherum Castle which would have France to the east, so suspect I'm missing an allusion to something.

One edit you'll want to make--the very first mention of the chapter says "chapter 7" instead of "chapter 8".
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Thanks for that - now corrected. It could have caused a lot of confusion!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_08_trollope_128kb.mp3

The fount of all knowledge(Google) has given an Oxford University Press edition of Framley Parsonage with notes; these suggest the allusion is to the Crimean War, during which England's traditional enemy France became its ally against Russia. I shall hope to draw on these notes for explanations of other obscure references https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NEaZBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA455&lpg=PA455&dq=The+East+where+our+allies+the+French+are+supposed+to+live+Trollope+allusion&source=bl&ots=QzGRa0Z1RG&sig=ACfU3U0RLhG32Uy-8kGswaylfLy6odoSug&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwm86rkI3kAhXJTBUIHeH6A30Q6AEwAnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=The%20East%20where%20our%20allies%20the%20French%20are%20supposed%20to%20live%20Trollope%20allusion&f=false

I am just back from the weekend with Helen on the Isle of Wight; she has one more week teaching sailing and then comes home. Very sadly the Centre (originally established as The Christian Sailing Centre - I think we may have told you a bit about it) is now about to close because it is no longer financially viable. A very sad time.
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 9. Enjoy