New member from Florida

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
maxolasersquad

Post by maxolasersquad »

I have been contributing to various FOSS projects for over a decade. I am most active on OpenStreetMap https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/maxolasersquad. I've been thinking about trying my hand at audio books for a while, and when I stumbled upon this project I knew I had to give it a go. It also works out that in a couple of weeks I will begin acting classes, which I suppose may be handy. If anyone has any good suggestions on an easy project to get involved with here, I'm all ears.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

I've dabbled on OSM myself - although I'm no expert, to say the least. (There's an expressway on-ramp that was moved. It goes over a creek; I don't know how to designate that, so it's just going through the creek for now. :roll:)

Regarding easy projects: First, do the 1-minute test to get your tech settings checked out and OK'd. Then, almost any group project would work. The "Readers Wanted: Short Works" forum is a good place to start, with poetry (if you're into that) and short stories, self-contained rather than chapters in a book that you don't know what's going on. I'd suggest looking for sections that have smaller word counts. A 3000-word section will be about 20 minutes of finished recording, to give an estimate. You probably don't want to start with sections much bigger than that right off the bat. :)

In my current signature there's a project with shorter sections - the "Old Soak" one. If you're interested. You can read over some of the text and see if it fits your style/interests.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart