[COMPLETE] Raspberry Jam by Carolyn Wells - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Raspberry Jam by Carolyn Wells (1862 - 1942).

This project is complete! Please listen from the catalog: https://librivox.org/raspberry-jam-by-carolyn-wells/
This is the 11th book featuring the distinguished detective, Fleming Stone.

When a titan of industry is found dead in his locked bedroom without evidence of natural death. The doctors and the police are trying to figure out who the murder is from among the suspects. And it isn't an easy job, for each suspect either have a motive but no opportunity or have an opportunity but no motive. And to make matters worse, one of the victim's relative claims to have seen the dead man's ghost, whose appearance corresponded with a remarkable taste and smell of raspberry jam. ( SaraHale )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5335
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Mystery, detective fiction, carolyn wells, fleming stone, locked room mystery

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Raspberry Jam. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Raspberry Jam, by Carolyn Wells. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Raspberry Jam by Carolyn Wells. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Raspberry Jam, by Carolyn Wells. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename raspberryjam_##_wells_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. raspberryjam_01_wells_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Carolyn Wells
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Raspberry Jam

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by SaraHale on August 8th, 2019, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

The wonderful narrator, Campbell (lymiewithpurpose), has kindly agreed to DPL this book. Thank you so much!! :9:

I've picked a Special PL Level and added CC which stands for Constructive Criticism sought. So, you are free to speak your mind. :mrgreen:

Let us do our best with our SOLOs. :thumbs:
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

DPL checking in! I will do my best to PL as carefully as you wish, of course feel free to give me feedback. I can't wait to begin this with you!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 6th, 2019, 7:12 am DPL checking in! I will do my best to PL as carefully as you wish, of course feel free to give me feedback. I can't wait to begin this with you!
Thanks!! Same here! :9:
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can set this up for you :)

ETA:

Here we go! At some point before you finish, please write your own blurb or find one that is PD for our catalog.

Please holler if you need anyhting :thumbs:
Kathrine
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

kathrinee wrote: August 6th, 2019, 11:37 am I can set this up for you :)

ETA:

Here we go! At some point before you finish, please write your own blurb or find one that is PD for our catalog.

Please holler if you need anyhting :thumbs:
Hey Kathrine,

Thanks so much!!! Sure, I'll write a different one. I'm not good with writing summaries but at the same time didn't want to leave it blank. :D
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

kathrinee wrote: August 6th, 2019, 11:37 am At some point before you finish, please write your own blurb or find one that is PD for our catalog.
Hey Kathrine,

Here's another blurb, I re-worded the Goodread's blurb.
This is the 11th book featuring the distinguished detective, Fleming Stone.

When a titan of industry is found dead in his locked bedroom without evidence of natural death. The doctors and the police are trying to figure out who the murder is from among the suspects. And it isn't an easy job, for each suspect either have a motive but no opportunity or have an opportunity but no motive. And to make matters worse, one of the victim's relative claims to have seen the dead man's ghost, whose appearance corresponded with a remarkable taste and smell of raspberry jam.
I hope it's okay. If you don't like it, I'd be happy to change it. :D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Looks good to me :D Thanks!

ETA
Hang on tight while I move us over to Going Solo
Kathrine
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Kathrine,

I'm glad you liked the new blurb. :thumbs: I've added it to the main post.

Have a nice day!
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Campbell,

Chapter 1 is Ready for PL

Let me know what you think. :D
lymiewithpurpose

Yay! Lovely recording, I can't wait to see where this goes. I can already feel the author setting up the plot for the mystery.

You told me to be blunt with PLing, so I was pretty picky. Again, feel free to ignore some of these notes and give me feedback on if you want me to ignore certain types and stuff.

3:13 – “and Aunt Abby sighed resignedly”, heard residingly
4:32 – pronunciation note (let me know if you want me to hold back on this, I only mentioned ones I thought you could change), “You can’t monopolize the willpower of the whole family”, stress should be on mo-NO-po-lize
6:21 - “Conventions mean nothing to me!”, sounded more like convinctions
7:47 – “Trail round the streets and alleys after a fool mountebank!”, rather than pronouncing as two separate words, should be more of a ‘mount-ah-bank’
9:10 – “she permitted herself any lapses from conventional laws that recommended themselves to her inclination”, here it sounded more like ‘lows’
12:37 – “somewhat like those of Petruchio toward Katherine”, pronounced with the ch sounding like a k
12:48 – “Sanford Embury grew more so and by harder words and more scathing sarcasms he”, heard ‘scanting’
13:50 – “This inconvenienced the Emburys”, heard ‘inconvinced’
14:51 – “desires was to have a Reading given at the Embury home by the Swami Ramananda”, heard ‘Ramadanda’
17:59 – “I’ll take Ferdinand with me to-morrow!”, heard ‘Ferninand’
18:05 – “who was also Embury’s valet and a general household steward”, pronounced ‘valei’
18: 35 – “Ferdinand”, heard ‘Fernand’
21:22 – “the Metropolitan Athletic Club can’t stoop to such entertainments”, heard ‘metropolin’
22:46 - “Alvord Hendricks would walk the plank if you invited him to do so!” heard ‘Hendrickson’
25:27 – Same note as above (Hendricks)
33:39 – Same note as above (Hendricks)
35:06 – Same note as above (Hendricks)

Now to constructive criticism. Overall I thought it was very well read and nicely expressive. The one thing I did have a hard time with was distinguishing which characters were talking. I thought you did a nice job distinguishing between male and female characters, but I could not tell the females apart or the males apart. This ties into my second note, which can help solve the first. I think that your dialogue lines were a tad close together, and maybe allowing for just a little bit more space in between lines could help a bit.

Sorry, I know this was a lot, please let me know if you want me to hold back on anything!
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 8th, 2019, 9:31 am Yay! Lovely recording, I can't wait to see where this goes. I can already feel the author setting up the plot for the mystery.

You told me to be blunt with PLing, so I was pretty picky. Again, feel free to ignore some of these notes and give me feedback on if you want me to ignore certain types and stuff.

Now to constructive criticism. Overall I thought it was very well read and nicely expressive. The one thing I did have a hard time with was distinguishing which characters were talking. I thought you did a nice job distinguishing between male and female characters, but I could not tell the females apart or the males apart. This ties into my second note, which can help solve the first. I think that your dialogue lines were a tad close together, and maybe allowing for just a little bit more space in between lines could help a bit.

Sorry, I know this was a lot, please let me know if you want me to hold back on anything!
Hey Campbell,

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I want. So, please don't hold back. I know it means more work for you. But I want it to turn out well.

I'll take more time before I can edit them. I think I'll be able to do it on Sunday.
lymiewithpurpose

SaraHale wrote: August 8th, 2019, 9:53 am I know it means more work for you. But I want it to turn out well.
That's exactly how I feel with my solos! And I honestly don't mind the extra work at all. I just don't ever want you to feel discouraged by the amount and type of notes, because you are doing an incredible job and my notes are very nit picky. So just keep me updated!
Campbell
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Campbell,

I'd like to apologize for the late edit. My lame excuse is that I got cold feet. :?

I hope that I've done well with the editing and not cause you more trouble. I've fixed them all except Petruchio and the silences.

I'll pay extra attention to the silences in the next chapters.

It's a great thing I have a deadline for myself. I may have taken a long time to upload. :oops:
lymiewithpurpose

SaraHale wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 10:21 am Hey Campbell,

I'd like to apologize for the late edit. My lame excuse is that I got cold feet. :?

I hope that I've done well with the editing and not cause you more trouble. I've fixed them all except Petruchio and the silences.

I'll pay extra attention to the silences in the next chapters.

It's a great thing I have a deadline for myself. I may have taken a long time to upload. :oops:
Take your time! Editing is no fun, it's my least favorite part. Overall, nice work! There were a few that I heard little to no difference on. I tried to be more detailed on it, but by all means feel free to ignore if you can't change it:

3:13 – resignedly, I heard it slightly differently this time. I think you’re trying to force it into 2 syllables when it should actually be 4 (‘re-si-ned-ly’)

4:32 – heard no change (still heard monopoLIZE vs moNOpolize), very insignificant edit

13:51 – ‘inconvenienced’, heard no difference, again I think you may be trying to condense syllables instead of ‘in-con-vee-nienced’

21:22 – heard no difference, condensing syllables instead of ‘me-tro-pol-i-tan’
Campbell