1 Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
MsShida

Post by MsShida » August 6th, 2019, 10:59 am

Hi, here's my 1 minute test.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_MsShida.mp3

Thank you.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 6th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Welcome!

We've got some settings to adjust. Most of these will only have to be done once, so while it may look like a lot, they'll be set and right for future recordings. :)

Are you using Audacity? I'm going to assume you are in my instructions.

1. The recording is in stereo. To change all future recordings, go to Edit, Preferences, Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)".

2. Your volume is too low. Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

Make sure the microphone slider in the Audacity window is all the way up. Also, have you increased your input volume in Windows yet? Here's a link to instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3#Volume

3. You have some plosives. This is when your breath directly hits the microphone on letters like P, F, or TH. Move your microphone a little bit to the side of your mouth if a desktop mic, or a little above or below your mouth if a headset mic. This will help the air pass by the mic instead of directly hitting it.

4. Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps.

Try making these adjustments, then record another test. Please leave a few seconds of silence (where the mic is running but you're not speaking) at the end, so we can use that to listen to and perhaps clean up some background noise. :) Post in this thread when the new test file is uploaded. 8-)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK

MsShida

Post by MsShida » August 6th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Thank you so much I will make all adjustments and re-post. This is a big help a I really appreciate it :)