[COMPLETE] Sketches by Boz by Charles Dickens - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Checking in again. Work is still keeping me busy. But starting this weekend I'll finally have lots of time to get back to work on this project.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

At long last, three sections are ready for PL. I should be moving more quickly from now on.

Brad
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Those sections are pl ok!
~Tiffany
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Three more ready for PL.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

And three more after that.

Brad
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

36-40 are PL OK! I will get to that last one soon!
~Tiffany
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

and 41 is PL OK
~Tiffany
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Once again I've been quite busy lately. I'll be back to work on this within the next few days. Sorry for the delay.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

At long last, the next three sections. This brings to an end the "Characters" section of Sketches. On to "Tales."
The first story in Tales is so long that Dickens divided it into two chapters, both of which are quite lengthy. Looking at Version One, I see that the second part was over forty-eight minutes long. I don't know what my reading speed will bring it too, but I hope it isn't much longer than that.

Going back to the sections I just finished, I saw something I felt was peculiar. Towards the end of Section 43 ("Characters, Chapter eleven - Making a Night of It") is a passage that reads, "And the magistrate, after an appropriate reprimand, fined Mr. Thomas Potter and Mr. Thomas Smithers five shillings each, etc." What is odd here is that the story just told was about a Thomas Potter and a ROBERT Smithers, not Thomas Smithers." I don't have my own copy in book form, so I thought I would check other online versions besides Project Gutenberg. Every one of them I looked at repeated the same error. Either they all copied their versions from the same text or Dickens made an error in his original. I chose to simply repeat the error, so both men are named Thomas in my version as well.

Brad
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Those three are PL OK! Funny when that happens, not often a mistake like that is consistantly through all of different copies.
~Tiffany
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Two more sections read. Since most of them are rather long from here on I may not always do my usual three at a time.

Brad
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Those two are PL OK!
~Tiffany
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I made a small correction of my own to Section 46. I had originally read "Tales Chapter Two - The Boarding House, Chapter the Second." My error was that although it's the second chapter of The Boarding House, it is actually still Chapter One of "Tales." I replaced my original "Chapter Two" with "Chapter One continued." The file is now one second longer.

This has been uploaded, as well as Section 47, which I decided I may as well send along since I had completed it.

Only eleven sections to go--and I'm going to try to speed things up to finish it.

Brad
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Woops, those introductions can be tricky, sorry I missed it.
47 is PL OK!
~Tiffany
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

My apologies for yet another long delay. I've had so many of them lately. Nothing serious is happening, just a lot of things that are taking up a lot of my time.
So I thought I'd check in to let you know I'll be eventually getting back to this.

Brad