COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 068 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

KevinS wrote: August 6th, 2019, 8:15 am 'The Martians' from The Patient Observer and His Friends by Simeon Strunsky (1879-1948.)
Thank you, Kevin! :) A humorous essay with a great deal of truth!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sue Anderson wrote: August 6th, 2019, 8:39 am
KevinS wrote: August 6th, 2019, 8:15 am 'The Martians' from The Patient Observer and His Friends by Simeon Strunsky (1879-1948.)
Hahaha! Indeed!

I'm going to do one more for this collection. This time a horror story, of sorts. It's about book worms ... and not the good ones!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

KevinS wrote: August 6th, 2019, 8:54 am
Hahaha! Indeed!

I'm going to do one more for this collection. This time a horror story, of sorts. It's about book worms ... and not the good ones!
Please be sure to hold off until the next collection (SNF069) with this, as we are strictly adhering to a 2-readings per person per SNF collection rule at this time... and no "worming in" with 3!

Regards,
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sue Anderson wrote: August 6th, 2019, 9:31 am
KevinS wrote: August 6th, 2019, 8:54 am

Hahaha! Indeed!

Please be sure to hold off until the next collection (SNF069) with this, as we are strictly adhering to a 2-readings per person per SNF collection rule at this time... and no "worming in" with 3!

Regards,
Hahaha! You're da boss!
soupy

Post by soupy »

The Martians was a very well thought out idea.

Thanks Kevin

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

soupy wrote: August 5th, 2019, 6:56 pm Thanks for the speech on liberalism in 1905 Silverquill :thumbs:

A ew errors noted:

2:07 That the method of their going would be a masterpiece of tactical skill. Forgot to read the method

3:44 What lesson then are we to draw – you read they

11:43 And by referring the Alabama dispute to arbitration – you read by referring to the Alabama

15:32 Or crying out for lighter taxes and fewer of them? You read higher

16:22 We believe in that principle – you read I

17:12 Down to last spring – you read the last spring

Craig
Thanks for the PL, Craig.
Here is the corrected file. Sorry there patches aren't a better match, though.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_policy__campbell-bannerman_lcw_128k.mp3 21:46
~ Larry
lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic »

soupy wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 5:17 pm Thanks for the Kangaroo court story Mike.

A few errors noted:

6:33 forgot end quote after “an intrinsic utilitarian function that is not merely to portray the appearance of the article or to convey information.

7:05 forgot end quote after “is eligible for copyright if, when identified and imagined apart from the useful article, it would qualify as a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work either on its own or when fixed in some other tangible medium.

8:09 after The second requirement, which is “ordinarily more difficult to satisfy,” requires “that the separately identified feature has the capacity to exist apart from the utilitarian aspects of the article.” Id. forgot to read this p. 7 (“In other words, the feature must be able to exist as its own pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work as defined in § 101 once it is imagined apart from the useful article.”)

13:51 A judge’s own aesthetic judgments must play no role in copyright analysis. After this forgot to read: See Star Athletica, 137 S. Ct. at 1015. “Our inquiry is limited to how the article and feature[s] are perceived, not how or why they were designed.”

17:05 Courts term this rare occurrence “merger,” forgot quote end quote

17:41 Here, copyrighting Rasta’s banana costume would not effectively monopolize the underlying idea because there are many other ways to make a costume resemble a banana. You read monopolizing

Craig
Got back to this!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_silvertopkangaroo_hardiman_mlo_128kb.mp3 (20:27)

6:35 end quote

7:18 end quote

8:11 Id. forgot to read this p. 7 (“In other words, the feature must be able to exist as its own pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work as defined in § 101 once it is imagined apart from the useful article.”) (Id. expands to Star Athletica)

14:11 See Star Athletica, 137 S. Ct. at 1015. “Our inquiry is limited to how the article and feature[s] are perceived, not how or why they were designed.” (citation number omitted)

17:32 quote end quote (I read them both upfront because it was only one word)

18:09 copyrighting
Mike
soupy

Post by soupy »

the speech on liberalism is PLOK :thumbs:

Thanks Silverquill

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Mike, Kangaroo is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

Sue - what source do you want to use?

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: August 10th, 2019, 3:56 am Thanks Mike, Kangaroo is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

Sue - what source do you want to use?

Craig
Craig, Whether you take a short-cut thru Google, or go the long-way around thru
https://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/, you still end up with the same URL for the court case
https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/182266p.pdf, and that's the URL I put in the section complier.
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hello!
I have attempted another recording.
Author: James Aspinall (1795-1861).
Title: Liverpool a few years since
URL to text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40732/40732-h/40732-h.htm#page122
Below is my audio recording ready for PLing:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_liverpoolafewyearssince_aspinall_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 13:27
I hope recording this portion of the text is okay. Any issues please let me know :D
Kind regards,
Chad
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Horner94 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 4:52 pm Hello!
I have attempted another recording.
Author: James Aspinall (1795-1861).
Title: Liverpool a few years since
URL to text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40732/40732-h/40732-h.htm#page122
Below is my audio recording ready for PLing:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_liverpoolafewyearssince_aspinall_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 13:27
I hope recording this portion of the text is okay. Any issues please let me know :D
Kind regards,
Chad
Hi Chad, Thank you for this recording about the Church in Liverpool in the early 1800's! :) This will be your second selection accepted for volume 068, and since we currently have a 2-selections per person rule in effect, please be sure to save any other recordings you may have in mind for volume 069.

Craig (Soupy) our DPL will proof listen your recording.

A few things--you still have corrections to make on your previous recording.
You can find the comments from both Craig and myself on page 4 of the notes for this volume of the SNF. These corrections need your attention. In future, I cannot accept a new recording from you until you have done the edits on your previous recording.

I would strongly recommend to you, and everybody, that you run your recording through "Checker" https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker before you send it up to us. This easy-to-use program will catch most errors of volume, file name etc.

Checker indicates that the volume of your present recording is too loud. Target volume for Librivox is 89dB. Please fix this before you re-upload with any edits Craig might point out.

Thank you for your attention and for contributing to the Nonfiction Collection. We're glad to have your participation! :)
Last edited by Sue Anderson on August 11th, 2019, 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

To Everybody--

Please check the "vitals" of your recording with Checker before sending it up to the Nonfiction Collection. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker. Checker is an easy to use " open source tool that looks for common problems with recordings for LibriVox... Checker saves time by checking contributions for common issues before files are uploaded."
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi. I've got another question. Is it OK to use 2 MW spots for a particularly long section?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Chad :thumbs:

one error noted:

10:17 But, never mind, they cannot do it – you read can do it

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge