COMPLETE Short Ghost and Horror Story Collection Vol. 035 -rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
FlamboyantOtter

Post by FlamboyantOtter »

Hi, I did a recording of The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe.

Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2148
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor035_themasqueofthereddeath_poe_fo_128kb.mp3
Duration: 14:33
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

ryfink wrote: July 29th, 2019, 7:35 pm Hi,

I am thinking about recording "The Ghost of Dr. Harris" by Nathaniel Hawthorne (I saw it was included in the list of unrecorded ghost stories).

The text can found here.

I have some questions regarding Librivox (I have had an account for a while, but am just now starting to be more active).

1. What are the guidelines for putting a recording under the short story collection v the ghost story collection (or for that matter, any similar collection)? For example, could you put a ghost story in the short story collection?

2. In the link above, the text is difficult to read (and the "text only" version of the file on the site is difficult to read, as well). Besides gutenberg, what are some alternatives to finding easy-to-read texts?

3. Lastly, when recording a work (for example, a short story), does the recording have to be perfect ( e.g. no stumbling) before it is uploaded? Do people often re-record parts of a work, or record an entire chapter or so without stopping? I'm wondering if re-recording parts of a work will sound odd after recording.

Thanks.:thumbs:
Hi Ryan!
Let's see,
1. I'd say the short story collection can contain all subjects, and that means a ghost story, too, but then the Book Coordinator might suggest the ghost and horror collection for it. And then, there are the subject-oriented collections, like this, or the children's short stories, or I see one now for love stories, etc, aimed for listeners that want to listen to the specific subject.

2. I can't check the link now, because I'm travelling, but after tomorrow I'll see what you mean by difficult to read. When I look for a text, I go through gutenberg.org first, then archive.org, then hathitrust.org, then a google search in case an unexpected source appears, with publication info, etc, and actually preferably scanned.

3. Yes, the goal is to upload a recording ready for the catalogue, then there is the proof-listening where hopefully any missed errors are caught. Those might be repetitions, distracting stumbles, and other distracting noises, like a dog barking. Every person have their own routine for recording and editing their recordings. I don't record much, so my way might not be the optimal. I try to record in one go, then depending on how long the recording is, I edit, too, or leave it for another day if too long. When I edit, I listen through the recording in Audacity, while looking at the text, and when I get to a stumble, repetition or wrong word, I record the correct phrase (in a new audacity file) and add it in (copy and paste), deleting the old one. In our wiki, you can also find lots of tips and video guides for editing, and the subject of "how do you record" has been discussed in the forums, so you can read how other people do it, too. When I record the new parts, I try to have the same conditions, but yes, sometimes there is some difference between the old and new recording. When I think it's ready I upload the file, and then the proof-listener might point out any missed edits, or things I hadn't noticed myself.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

FlamboyantOtter wrote: July 30th, 2019, 11:45 am Hi, I did a recording of The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe.

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor035_themasqueofthereddeath_poe_fo_128kb.mp3
Thank you! :thumbs: I've entered it into the Magic Window awaiting proof-listening!
christinabui

Post by christinabui »

Thanks for your examples and welcoming me to the community, Rapunzelina! What you said about the catalog makes a lot of sense. :)
brockprice

Post by brockprice »

I'm happy to have another recording to share.
  • Author: Jacques Futrelle
  • Title: Problem of the Stolen Bank Notes
  • Runtime: 37:43
Thanks!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

That's great! Thank you, Brock! Entered into the Magic Window awaiting Proof-listening.
sadclown

Post by sadclown »

Nice! I will give this a listen soon, hopefully tomorrow!
Jennifer
brockprice

Post by brockprice »

Another story for PL'ing! Another case for The Thinking Machine!
  • Author: Jacques Futrelle
  • Title: The First Problem
  • Runtime: 27:42
Thanks!
ryfink

Post by ryfink »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 30th, 2019, 1:19 pm
ryfink wrote: July 29th, 2019, 7:35 pm Hi,

I am thinking about recording "The Ghost of Dr. Harris" by Nathaniel Hawthorne (I saw it was included in the list of unrecorded ghost stories).

The text can found here.

I have some questions regarding Librivox (I have had an account for a while, but am just now starting to be more active).

1. What are the guidelines for putting a recording under the short story collection v the ghost story collection (or for that matter, any similar collection)? For example, could you put a ghost story in the short story collection?

2. In the link above, the text is difficult to read (and the "text only" version of the file on the site is difficult to read, as well). Besides gutenberg, what are some alternatives to finding easy-to-read texts?

3. Lastly, when recording a work (for example, a short story), does the recording have to be perfect ( e.g. no stumbling) before it is uploaded? Do people often re-record parts of a work, or record an entire chapter or so without stopping? I'm wondering if re-recording parts of a work will sound odd after recording.

Thanks.:thumbs:
Hi Ryan!
Let's see,
1. I'd say the short story collection can contain all subjects, and that means a ghost story, too, but then the Book Coordinator might suggest the ghost and horror collection for it. And then, there are the subject-oriented collections, like this, or the children's short stories, or I see one now for love stories, etc, aimed for listeners that want to listen to the specific subject.

2. I can't check the link now, because I'm travelling, but after tomorrow I'll see what you mean by difficult to read. When I look for a text, I go through gutenberg.org first, then archive.org, then hathitrust.org, then a google search in case an unexpected source appears, with publication info, etc, and actually preferably scanned.

3. Yes, the goal is to upload a recording ready for the catalogue, then there is the proof-listening where hopefully any missed errors are caught. Those might be repetitions, distracting stumbles, and other distracting noises, like a dog barking. Every person have their own routine for recording and editing their recordings. I don't record much, so my way might not be the optimal. I try to record in one go, then depending on how long the recording is, I edit, too, or leave it for another day if too long. When I edit, I listen through the recording in Audacity, while looking at the text, and when I get to a stumble, repetition or wrong word, I record the correct phrase (in a new audacity file) and add it in (copy and paste), deleting the old one. In our wiki, you can also find lots of tips and video guides for editing, and the subject of "how do you record" has been discussed in the forums, so you can read how other people do it, too. When I record the new parts, I try to have the same conditions, but yes, sometimes there is some difference between the old and new recording. When I think it's ready I upload the file, and then the proof-listener might point out any missed edits, or things I hadn't noticed myself.
Thank you for the explanations/help. Let me know if you find an easier version of the text.
Do you know if most volunteers print out the text before reading it, or do you think they read it off of the computer/digital copy?
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." - G.K. Chesterton
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: July 28th, 2019, 12:51 pm
Rapunzelina wrote: July 28th, 2019, 12:33 pm
maxgal wrote: July 28th, 2019, 11:59 am Another logistical Q for Rapunzelina:
There was a "book suggestion" by Chuck W. from 10/18/18, about an Arthur Conan Doyle story called "Lot No. 249" -- it sounds interesting and I think I'd like to do it for GhoHor 035, but it's pretty long. So my Q is, can I break it into 2 or more parts, each one a different file?
Thank you...LJB :D
This is around 13000 words, which to me it would be 2 parts, and it would be ok to include in the collection. But if you feel that the story has natural breaks in more places that would suit your reading pace, you can also consider making it its own project with more sections :)

PS: I'm still working on the issue in the last collection... Thanks!!
FAB.
Thank you -- on both accounts! (035 & 034)
We always need more gho/hor stories in the world.
...LJB :shock:

...so I think a good place to split "Lot No. 249" would be at the end of the paragraph on the top of the second column on p.535, ending with the words "...why I should steer clear of him in the future."
This is just about at the halfway point, and is at a break of time in the story.
https://archive.org/details/1892lotno249doyleharpersmagsept/page/n9
WDYT?
Thank you...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
ryfink

Post by ryfink »

Ghost of Dr. Harris by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)

Duration: 15:06

Link to full text: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015080471876&view=1up&seq=3
Link to audio: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ghohor035_ghostofdrharris_hawthorne_rf_128kb.mp3

I ended up reading off of the text that I said was a bit difficult to read (it was in a small window). I did this because I couldn't find it on Gutenberg or any of the other main public domain sources.

Please let me know if my recording is sufficient.

Thanks! :thumbs:
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." - G.K. Chesterton
sadclown

Post by sadclown »

FlamboyantOtter wrote: July 30th, 2019, 11:45 am Hi, I did a recording of The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe.

Hi, great job, excellent reading! One of my favorites by Poe. A couple of small words were omitted (its and then), but the context of the sentences still made sense, so we can let those go.

PL OK!
Jennifer
sadclown

Post by sadclown »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 25th, 2019, 1:21 pm Hi, Jennifer! Thank you! I'll sign you up as the DPL! So you also have access to the Magic Window. Let me know if you have any questions about proof-listening and the MW.
Hi, it's been awhile, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I can't access the Magic Window.
Jennifer
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hmmm, then maybe it's your first time accessing Magic Windows after we had the system update. Please read this guide, and let me know how it goes:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_.E2.80.93_First_Time_Login

:thumbs:

And thank you for listening! :9:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

ryfink wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 7:52 pm Thank you for the explanations/help. Let me know if you find an easier version of the text.
Do you know if most volunteers print out the text before reading it, or do you think they read it off of the computer/digital copy?
I'm sorry, I was away for the weekend. So, I know some readers do print out the text and make more preparations, like pre-reading, making sure they understand the text, etc, but I think most of the readers just read off of the screen, with minimum preparation, (which means possibly more editing, if there's more stumbling). I would think that reading off of a screen is more environment-friendly?