[ITALIAN] I Promessi Sposi project - collaborative or solo

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Majka

Post by Majka »

Hi to all,

I hope this is the right place where to post this message.

I'd like to create a reading project for the Alessandro Manzoni's "I Promessi Sposi" in italian, a book that I appreciate so much.
This book is crucial for italian literature and I want to pay homage this author for his work with the reading.

This is the link from Gutenberg Project: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/45334/45334-h/45334-h.htm

If there are italian readers available, we can create a collaborative reading of chapters.

Otherwise, I can do it as soloist.

Please let me know If It's possibile.

Thank you,
Majka
Last edited by Majka on July 27th, 2019, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Somewhat the right place. :) We do have a suggestions forum for languages other than English. I'll move this over there.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome! Always nice to see more readers in "anything but English" :wink:

We have two versions of "The Betrothed" in English, and it would be great having an Italian version as well!

But honestly, I don't think it's a good book to start your LV carreer with.. :?
Looking at the text, the recording will probably be more than 20 hours when it's completed; that's not something I would recommend a brand new reader to tackle as a solo.
And while a group project is always an option, we don't have that many Italian readers at the moment, and the English version already took several years to complete (if I remember correctly). Besides, we want to have our BC's (Book Coordinators) to have experience with LV and how we do stuff here, because we expect them to essentially run the project on their own, more or less on a daily basis.

So... While I would love to see the Italian original of "I Promessi Sposi" on LV, I would suggest you start with something significantly shorter first to learn the ropes and to make sure that LV is something you would like to pursue for longer.
LV is not going anywhere - half a year up or down will not make any difference in the grand scheme of things! :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Majka

Post by Majka »

Hi Ava,

thank you so much for your reply and your suggestion.
I know this is a presumptuous project, but as I have already said this book is crucial for Italian literature and I am surprised that it has not yet been read by anyone and that nobody has included the project, so I will do it.
I will insert a group project and I will start reading the chapters from the beginning and then if someone wants to add, it will.
Let's face it, I took a look at the list of titles on the Gutenberg Project website and there is not much left to read in Italian in the public domain and I don't have a good English pronunciation that I can devote to English language projects.
My aim is to have a continuous collaboration with Librivox and so to begin my journey to become a full-fledged audio-book storyteller, so I'm not going anywhere either, especially now that I'm on vacation.
Leni has already given me his approval, so if it's really a problem, I'll take it off.
I know you do not want a newbie to start with such large projects, lest they disappear and the project remains oblivious, like vitomar for example, but I assure you that it will not be so for "I promessi sposi", I will bring it or we will carry it to the end. It will take about a year I tjink.

So please don't be upset or angry, I understand your point of view but reading this book for Alessandro Manzoni would be an honour for me...
These stupid italian... :D :D :D

Majka
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I am quite sure had Leni known that the book was more than 20 hours long, and the two completed books in English took 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 years respectively, she would have been more careful with her "approval". :P

You can start it as a solo if that's what you want.

But not as a group project! You have not yet completed a single section of your own, and you do not know how our procedures work etc. It is not fair to have you coordinate a group project; not to all the other (potentially new) readers who will look to you for guidance, and not to the admin who will have to help you through this.

You can start it as a solo, and if you ever find that it's a bit too much, we can convert it into a group project (just like the Galileo).

Honestly, please listen to me! I have been here for 10 years, and you're not the first enthusiastic newbie on here who wants to change the world. By tomorrow morning. :D
If I had a EURO for every time I wrote "told you so", I swear my great-great-grandkids wouldn't have to work anymore either.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Majka

Post by Majka »

Hi Ava,

thank you so much for your reply-
It' s an honor for me to hear your opinion and you're right, i'm really an enthusiastic newbie :D

So as your suggestion I will start the project as soloist and then we will see along the way.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

We do have a "Multilingual Short Works Collection 022 - Poetry & Prose by Various" project currently underway that could give you some exposure to what our processes are before you embark on a long solo. You could get some experience, and it could benefit from having an Italian selection in it.

viewtopic.php?p=1590658#p1590658

Thanks, Todd
Majka

Post by Majka »

ToddHW wrote: July 29th, 2019, 3:13 am We do have a "Multilingual Short Works Collection 022 - Poetry & Prose by Various" project currently underway that could give you some exposure to what our processes are before you embark on a long solo. You could get some experience, and it could benefit from having an Italian selection in it.

viewtopic.php?p=1590658#p1590658

Thanks, Todd
Hi Todd,

thank you so much for your suggestion.
How does this project work? Can I add any short text (public domain for sure) in italian as I find them around?
For example, some Giacomo Leopardi's poem or some short stories by Pirandello?
And I must consider just italian authors?

Thanks for your answers.

Majka
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You may consider any public domain short work - less than an hour - in any language. Poems or short stories are perfect.

All the instructions are in the first posting and you can see examples of how to offer something in the postings of the other contributors.

Thanks, Todd
sabinadg

Post by sabinadg »

Majka wrote: July 26th, 2019, 1:20 pm Hi to all,

I hope this is the right place where to post this message.

I'd like to create a reading project for the Alessandro Manzoni's "I Promessi Sposi" in italian, a book that I appreciate so much.
This book is crucial for italian literature and I want to pay homage this author for his work with the reading.

This is the link from Gutenberg Project: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/45334/45334-h/45334-h.htm

If there are italian readers available, we can create a collaborative reading of chapters.

Otherwise, I can do it as soloist.

Please let me know If It's possibile.

Thank you,
Majka
Hello Majka,
I appreciate your initiative so much Iwas about to launch it by myself.
May I participate as an italian lecturer?
Thanks
Sabina