[Complete] Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

GillH wrote: June 24th, 2019, 3:20 am Section 16 (20:26)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_16_babbage_128kb.mp3
I'm not sure about the sound quality. My laptop doesn't seem to be recording consistently at the moment.
Thank you
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

I apologize for the delay in getting these results up but I was on vacation. I brought the recordings with me but the MW on a phone is challenging. :thumbs:

Sections 10,12,16,27,36,37

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
thevoiceoftom

Post by thevoiceoftom »

Lynnet wrote: June 19th, 2019, 10:02 am
thevoiceoftom wrote: June 19th, 2019, 5:13 am I see that there is yet one section unassigned. May I claim section: 23 Electioneering Experience; and help close out this volume?
Respectfully,
Thomas
That would be wonderful
May I have a couple more weeks? Life happed. I should have it done by the end of the month.
V/R, Thomas
-TheVoiceOfTom-
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

thevoiceoftom wrote: July 19th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Lynnet wrote: June 19th, 2019, 10:02 am
thevoiceoftom wrote: June 19th, 2019, 5:13 am I see that there is yet one section unassigned. May I claim section: 23 Electioneering Experience; and help close out this volume?
Respectfully,
Thomas
That would be wonderful
May I have a couple more weeks? Life happed. I should have it done by the end of the month.
V/R, Thomas
Sure
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 30:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_30_babbage_128kb.mp3

29:18

thanks for your patience!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ColleenMc wrote: July 25th, 2019, 5:37 am Section 30:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_30_babbage_128kb.mp3

29:18

thanks for your patience!

Colleen
Thank you
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Lynnet wrote: July 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm We have an orhan
I’ll be happy to claim that poor orphan section
regards
Jane Bennett
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Jmbau13 wrote: July 31st, 2019, 4:15 pm
Lynnet wrote: July 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm We have an orhan
I’ll be happy to claim that poor orphan section
Great!
thevoiceoftom

Post by thevoiceoftom »

Section 23, Chapter 21 Electioneering Experience. 29:50.
Posted, ready for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_23_babbage_128kb.mp3

V/R,
Thomas
-TheVoiceOfTom-
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

thevoiceoftom wrote: August 1st, 2019, 5:17 pm Section 23, Chapter 21 Electioneering Experience. 29:50.
Posted, ready for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_23_babbage_128kb.mp3

V/R,
Thomas
Thank you
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTIONS 23, 30

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks! I was so amused in reading this chapter, imagining Babbage running around showing everyone how to make a hole in glass or showing off his blind cave fish, and wondering if his friends and acquaintances all found it as thrilling as Babbage does, and as he reports they do.

I'm imagining his various acquaintances rolling their eyes and mumbling to each other, "Oh God here comes Chuck with those damn fish again! And hide the glass or he'll want to show you his trick!"

Actually, being somewhat familiar with the preoccupations and behaviors of autistic persons (especially "Asperger's" or "high functioning" persons, tho those terms are no longer officially used), reading the chapter made me wonder if he was on the spectrum...did anyone else get that impression? His fascination/obsession with his calculating machines kind of fits too.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TwoRavens

Post by TwoRavens »

ColleenMc wrote: August 5th, 2019, 12:37 pm Thanks! I was so amused in reading this chapter, imagining Babbage running around showing everyone how to make a hole in glass or showing off his blind cave fish, and wondering if his friends and acquaintances all found it as thrilling as Babbage does, and as he reports they do.

I'm imagining his various acquaintances rolling their eyes and mumbling to each other, "Oh God here comes Chuck with those damn fish again! And hide the glass or he'll want to show you his trick!"

Actually, being somewhat familiar with the preoccupations and behaviors of autistic persons (especially "Asperger's" or "high functioning" persons, tho those terms are no longer officially used), reading the chapter made me wonder if he was on the spectrum...did anyone else get that impression? His fascination/obsession with his calculating machines kind of fits too.

Colleen
Well, I read the chapter entitled "Street Nuisances", in which Babbage railed against street musicians in florid, luxuriant language.
It certainly seemed to me to be an over-the top response - but I also intend to do a bit of research to see just how much of a
problem street musicians actually were in Babbage's time.
I did see a reference somewhere to a Scientific American article which talked about a problem some people have where the fine hairs
in their ear canals are not as numerous as the average person, and so sounds affect them more. It was suggested that an autopsy
showed this to be the case for Babbage.
Anyway, the chapters I read gave me a picture of an exceptional mind, in so many ways. I look forward to listening to the whole
book once it is completed.
Cheers,
Stephen
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

I believe this now just awaits my reading the last section. Will do a.s.a.p, should be within the fortnight.
regards
Jane Bennett