Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, tovarisch.

thestorygirl; here you go: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Are_py.mp3 It's about one minute long.

I think Bill Bryson mentions this business of the pronounced/unpronounced terminal "r" somewhere in his "Mother Tongue", which is a lovely wander through English.

Later edit: Although that is the way I would pronounce those examples ... so it seems natural to me ... I suppose that logically, a terminal "r" would originally always have been pronounced, whatever came after it, and dropping it would have come later. .... and, to my ears "idea" almost sounds as if it does end with an "r"!

Do have a look at Bryson, if the subject interests you on top of trying to get your recording to sound "natural".

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

That was lovely; thanks so much! Can I say I'm an instant fan?
I'm so glad you put me on to this author as well. What a great resource to have!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you; when these oddities of pronunciation have been with me all my life, it's sometimes hard to notice them, unless they're pointed out. I read some sentences for a Russian web site on learning English, a while ago, and had to be told not to insert those non-existent R's.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Could someone give me the Danish pronunciation of "Kjökkenmöddings", please?

The sentence is "Do you know what has been discovered in one of the Danish Kjökkenmöddings by a little boy? It was ghastly."

Peter
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Here is my guess. I believe that the second letter is like 'y' in English and the double 'd' is similar to voiced 'th' (like in 'there'). So, 'KYO-ken-MOh-thee-ngs', except that 'O' is not truly an English 'O', but rather: KYO= KY-U[r], MOh=MU[r] (no 'r', though)

BTW, it's an archaeological term - a heap of shells and bones leftover from refuse thrown out from a kitchen.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

That's great, thanks, tovarisch.
Peter
msfry

Post by msfry »

I need help with some Latin pronunciations. Can someone reasonably fluent in Latin please send me an audio file. A normal tempo is fine, just one iteration of each, and I don't need a translation (though that would improve my understanding of the piece I am reading, which I would not mind). :) You can upload it to Lynnet. Thanking whomever in advance.

Juventutem egit erroribus, imo furoribus, plenam.

Idem manebat, neque idem decebat.

Ultima primis cedebant.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: July 19th, 2019, 11:53 amI need help with some Latin pronunciations. Can someone reasonably fluent in Latin please send me an audio file. A normal tempo is fine, just one iteration of each
if you still need this, Michele, I can do a file this afternoon. I can do the classical Latin, if that's fine with you.
and I don't need a translation (though that would improve my understanding of the piece I am reading, which I would not mind). :)
I had a go at it, although I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on this (my Latin is very rusty). I think it should mean something like this:

Juventutem egit erroribus, imo furoribus, plenam. - In our youth, with deepest frenzy, we made mistakes aplenty

Idem manebat, neque idem decebat. - it has remained the same, but it was not suitable the same way

Ultima primis cedebant. - the last ones have ceded to the first one

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Sonia. I managed to find a friend who helped me with the pronunciation, and the file has already been posted and PL OK'd. I came back here to cancel my request, but could not find my original post. I wondered if maybe I had not sent it.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 6:30 am Thank you, Sonia. I managed to find a friend who helped me with the pronunciation, and the file has already been posted and PL OK'd. I came back here to cancel my request, but could not find my original post. I wondered if maybe I had not sent it.
ok no problem :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Anyone know how to pronounce this name, Alveric. It's not a common name that comes up in an online pronunciation guide. Certainly Irish or British, I can't tell, but he's a character in one of Lord Dunsany's books, The King of Elfland's Daughter. All I want to know is if the accent falls on the first syllable, or the second.

AL ver ic
al VER ic
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

If you can't find it anywhere, chances are nobody really knows.

Decide for yourself and stick to it.
And if somebody complains, tell them this is how it's pronounced in that little village where your grandmother's uncle had a bakery where the nephew of the mayor came shopping and he was called alveric. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

Availle wrote: August 11th, 2019, 4:14 pm If you can't find it anywhere, chances are nobody really knows.

Decide for yourself and stick to it.
And if somebody complains, tell them this is how it's pronounced in that little village where your grandmother's uncle had a bakery where the nephew of the mayor came shopping and he was called alveric. :D
Ha Ha Ha. I've been practicing spitting the difference, but I will now enjoy my dinner a bit mroe either way! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Hello, could someone help me with some German place names and a personal name, please? Sherlock Holmes has a royal Bohemian visitor.

Gesellschaft;
Papier;
Eglow;
Eglonitz;
Egria;
Carlsbad;
Wallenstein;
Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, Grand Duke of Cassel-Felstein.

Peter
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm on it.

Here you go:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/German4Peter_-_2019sep13.mp3

Sorry for the bad quality, I recorded directly into my computer. With the window open. And it's raining too.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com