Hello, from Guelph, ON Canada!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Bathsraikou

Post by Bathsraikou »

Hello there!

My name is Alana Shalom Tallman, and I am a new member to Librivox.org! I am hoping to contribute as a reader and a proof listener, as I have always been told that I have a great voice, and am excellent at editing and hopefully helping others to improve their projects. I first found out about Librivox.org at the end of highschool when I came across the recording of The Art of War by Sun Tzu, and I listened to most of it while exploring the temperate rainforests of Vancouver Island. I have since found more recordings from Librivox pertaining to communist and anarchist philosophy, and I believe I have much improved myself by absorbing the information.

As a Librivox reader, I hope to contribute excellent recordings as my partner went to school for recording engineering, and thus has good quality audio equipment that I can make use of. I will be open to suggestions to improve my work, and hopefully I can become the best reader I can be for any projects I am brought on to.

My personal life outside of librivox includes my continuing work on my bachelor's of science with a major in zoology and a minor in microbiology. I have discovered a love of mycology, and I hope to find a way to combine that love with my current work in Entomology for the Barcode of Life Database (please check out what we do at http://v4.boldsystems.org/index.php! We hope to obtain DNA information on every multicellular organism on earth, and we hope that this will be useful in many applications, including the preservation of ecosystems).

I recently was sent on a trip to Cambridge Bay and Kugluktuk (both in Nunavut, in the arctic circle) for work, and was amazed by the tundra landscape of Northern Canada. I saw lichens like I had never seen before, and got a taste of wildnerness and Inuit culture in the modern day. I hope to learn more about how to combat racism, colonialism, and imperialism, and I hope that I can turn theory into good praxis in order to confront the resurgence of fascism in North American politics.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to working with all of you.

-Alana Shalom Tallman
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Bathsraikou wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 7:33 am Hello there!

My name is Alana Shalom Tallman, and I am a new member to Librivox.org! I am hoping to contribute as a reader and a proof listener, as I have always been told that I have a great voice, and am excellent at editing and hopefully helping others to improve their projects. I first found out about Librivox.org at the end of highschool when I came across the recording of The Art of War by Sun Tzu, and I listened to most of it while exploring the temperate rainforests of Vancouver Island. I have since found more recordings from Librivox pertaining to communist and anarchist philosophy, and I believe I have much improved myself by absorbing the information.

As a Librivox reader, I hope to contribute excellent recordings as my partner went to school for recording engineering, and thus has good quality audio equipment that I can make use of. I will be open to suggestions to improve my work, and hopefully I can become the best reader I can be for any projects I am brought on to.

My personal life outside of librivox includes my continuing work on my bachelor's of science with a major in zoology and a minor in microbiology. I have discovered a love of mycology, and I hope to find a way to combine that love with my current work in Entomology for the Barcode of Life Database (please check out what we do at http://v4.boldsystems.org/index.php! We hope to obtain DNA information on every multicellular organism on earth, and we hope that this will be useful in many applications, including the preservation of ecosystems).

I recently was sent on a trip to Cambridge Bay and Kugluktuk (both in Nunavut, in the arctic circle) for work, and was amazed by the tundra landscape of Northern Canada. I saw lichens like I had never seen before, and got a taste of wildnerness and Inuit culture in the modern day. I hope to learn more about how to combat racism, colonialism, and imperialism, and I hope that I can turn theory into good praxis in order to confront the resurgence of fascism in North American politics.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to working with all of you.

-Alana Shalom Tallman
Sounds like you have some great philosophies and goals in your life. I have never even heard of mycology, but it sounds great and I am glad that you like it. As for volunteering, before recording make sure you do your one minute test to make sure you can work with this this superb equipment to get the right settings. As for proof listening (always helpful), you can go to the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum or find any thread with a ~ in front of it and volunteer to listen! Hope to see you around.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Great to have you here!. I have actually been browsing recently to find an educational book about fungi, something that goes into the amazingly complex array of life involved. I enjoy books that are scientific but not too technical for a reasonably intelligent layman to enjoy and learn from. Can't find any! Do you have any re commendations?

And welcome, we want you to have fun here. Here is a little video about our forums http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxpcbnEjoQ&feature=youtu.be.

ask lots ofquestions, we all want to help !!! :thumbs: :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk