[COMPLETE] The Artist, or Young Ladies' Instructor in Painting, Drawing... - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The Artist, or Young Ladies' Instructor in Ornamental Painting, Drawing etc. by B. F. Gandee ( - 0).

This book is now complete. It can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/the-artist-by-b-f-gandee/

A lovely art instruction book in dialogue form where young ladies teach themselves various art forms, from painting in the Grecian and Japanese style, to Oriental and Mezzotinting, as well as Inlaying. A few simpler projects with paper are mentioned at the end of the book. </br>Cast.... ( Ava)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/artistoryounglad00gand
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Art, Design & Architecture; *Non-fiction/Crafts & Hobbies
    Keywords that describe the book: dramatic reading, lessons, dialogue, painting, drawing
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Section [#] of The Artist, or Young Ladies' Instructor in Ornamental Painting, Drawing etc. by B. F. Gandee. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Section [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    artist_[role]_[##].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the number of the section.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Charlotte has been tentatively claimed by maxgal. :clap:
This leaves Ellen and Mamma, the latter one has the least to say.

I guess I'll do the preface and epilogue plus all the intros/outros to the sections myself while I'm editing this - unless somebody would like to do that.

DPL for parts and completed sections very welcome!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

I've got Charlotte in a headlock. :lol:
Please cast me.
Thanks!
I'm ready for my closeup. 8-)
...LJB
(Louise)
(aka "maxgal")
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You're in, thank you!

The filenaming is a bit complicated - please look down at the full sections for what the file number should be.

Good luck and holler if you have questions.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

:mrgreen:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

May I take Ellen, please?
Last edited by EmmaHatton on July 22nd, 2019, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Uh-oh.
Page 40 is virtually illegible. :cry:
I tried the version above: https://archive.org/details/artistoryounglad00gand/page/n59
I also tried HathiTrust: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=gri.ark:/13960/t0ns5bz25&view=1up&seq=58
Don't see it in PGutenberg.
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

maxgal wrote: July 21st, 2019, 2:40 pm Uh-oh.
I tried the version above: https://archive.org/details/artistoryounglad00gand/page/n59
I also tried HathiTrust: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=gri.ark:/13960/t0ns5bz25&view=1up&seq=58
...LJB
I'll see what can be done by working on the contrast of the page (from archive.)
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

KevinS wrote: July 21st, 2019, 3:21 pm
maxgal wrote: July 21st, 2019, 2:40 pm Uh-oh.
...LJB
Google books has a better scan of page 40. Strangely enough, other pages in that scan are awful. Give this a try. You'll have to scroll through it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9m7FPlRp2fsC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=The+Artist,+or+Young+Ladies%27+Instructor+in+Ornamental+Painting&source=bl&ots=H8D7e333DO&sig=ACfU3U10TqjkS_MqgCldAoisuXoIiqqxjw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjYu93LhcfjAhVCUK0KHaJcASEQ6AEwEHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=The%20Artist%2C%20or%20Young%20Ladies'%20Instructor%20in%20Ornamental%20Painting&f=false
Ah.
Thank you.
The Google version's image of p.40 is fine.
And I can pretty much tell it's the same as on the "official" versions, from peering at the ghostly images thereon.
Availle, OK with you?
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Yes, that's fine with me - thanks Kevin for finding that!

In general, google is not a good source because they often restrict countries that can view the books. That's why I won't make this the official source, but it's good to have a backup.

Emma, you're Ellen - thank you!
I need to go out now, but I'll add your claim to the MW when I'm back later.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

I just realized that the sentences are a bit long and difficult for my cold ridden voice to handle at the moment. I am afraid that it would take me far too long to complete. Sorry that I will have to resign Ellen. Thanks for understanding.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Emma, you don't have to start rightaway. Also, Dramatic Readings tend to take longer than the standard group project anyway, so there's no huge rush as long as you keep steadily at it.

I have removed you from the project for now, but if Ellen is still available when your voice is better, feel free to come by and claim again.
Speedy recovery! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

thank you, I'll remember that for later. :D
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

So Availle, here's a logistical Q:
I seem to recall seeing on some other forum having to do with dramatic works, that some editors prefer having no editing done by the various readers, except maybe for noise reduction -- so as to edit all the readings of a single section together more seamlessly, all at once.
Is this correct?
Or what should I do re. editing?
Thank you...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."