The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

PhyllisV wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:43 am ...
The crazy thing is, the mic is absolutely fine with my old laptop.
Did you try it again after you found the muffled-ness on the new laptop? If yes, then what is the difference between the laptops? Different OS? Different brand? USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0? What? And, as Tricia asked, and Kevin reminded you, do try a different USB port on your new laptop, as well.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PhyllisV wrote: July 19th, 2019, 12:28 pmI just got a new laptop and have installed Audacity, with all of the settings changed according to Librivox recommendations. I did a test recording with my mic, and the recording is sounding very, very muffled. I've checked to make sure there was no noise reduction going on, looked at the settings on my old computer for Audacity and it matches the new laptop. I have no idea what's going on - anyone have any ideas?
the only thing I could think of is the new Windows...is your new laptop coming with Windows 10 and maybe your old one still had the old version ?

That is the main reason why I never upgraded to Windows 10. I heard it from other users that the sound is muffled since the program update, though nobody knows why and I did not follow up whether there is a solution to the settings. I never wanted to test it, because once I have installed it I cannot uninstall it. I already dread the day I need to buy a new laptop. :?

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

By the time you need to buy a new laptop there will be Windows 12, probably :wink: Or they will figure out how to make old[er] microphones work correctly (i.e. like in Win 7). So, don't fret it.

I think that in the majority of cases the device drivers that worked in Win 7 should just as well work in Win 10 (but don't quote me). It's always a good idea to check, of course. If you can find a Win 10 laptop (at a computer store or at a friend's) and try your microphone with it to make sure it's OK before committing to getting a Win 10 laptop, it might save you some worrying.
tovarisch
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

tovarisch wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 5:29 am By the time you need to buy a new laptop there will be Windows 12, probably :wink: Or they will figure out how to make old[er] microphones work correctly (i.e. like in Win 7). So, don't fret it.

I think that in the majority of cases the device drivers that worked in Win 7 should just as well work in Win 10 (but don't quote me). It's always a good idea to check, of course. If you can find a Win 10 laptop (at a computer store or at a friend's) and try your microphone with it to make sure it's OK before committing to getting a Win 10 laptop, it might save you some worrying.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The old laptop is HP as is the new one. Both have usb 3.0. I tried the mic on the old laptop and it works fine, and I tried both usb ports on the new computer. The old computer had windows 7 and this has 10, which sounds like that's what I'm having problems. I'm really bummed as the main reason for the laptop is to do the audio recordings. I think my last resort will be to get an adapter that will let me use the XLR cable on my laptop to see if that does the trick. Fingers crossed!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Generally speaking a dynamic microphone can be simply plugged into the microphone port of your computer, and all you need is a cable that connects the respective pins correctly. Think of an XLR-to-1/4" patch cable plus a 1/4"-1/8" adapter. Maybe.

So, it seems that the Samson mic driver for Win 10 is deficient. Have you tried contacting Samson? If your computer is new, can you seek help from HP? I think those two choices have better chance of success than using the XLR output from your mic...
tovarisch
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

tovarisch wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 8:10 am Generally speaking a dynamic microphone can be simply plugged into the microphone port of your computer, and all you need is a cable that connects the respective pins correctly. Think of an XLR-to-1/4" patch cable plus a 1/4"-1/8" adapter. Maybe.

So, it seems that the Samson mic driver for Win 10 is deficient. Have you tried contacting Samson? If your computer is new, can you seek help from HP? I think those two choices have better chance of success than using the XLR output from your mic...
Went to Best Buy, who had no ideas, but said the same as you- the XLR output won't make a difference. emailed Samson so we'll see what they say and tomorrow morning I'm trying a friend's computer with windows 10. wish me luck!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

PhyllisV wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 9:41 am
tovarisch wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 8:10 am Generally speaking a dynamic microphone can be simply plugged into the microphone port of your computer, and all you need is a cable that connects the respective pins correctly. Think of an XLR-to-1/4" patch cable plus a 1/4"-1/8" adapter. Maybe.

Went to Best Buy, who had no ideas, but said the same as you- the XLR output won't make a difference. emailed Samson so we'll see what they say and tomorrow morning I'm trying a friend's computer with windows 10. wish me luck!
Let's go from last to first...

Good luck with your friend's computer!

Let's hope Samson at least responds. Does their site have customer forums, maybe?

No difference with XLR is not what I said. At all. It would make some difference, I have no doubt. But it would mean using your computer's ADC (analog-to-digital converter), which is likely crap, and you're not much better off than with the built-in mic. At Best Buy you could ask to plug your mic into their test computer's USB port, and see how it goes.

Anyway, if you find that it's not the microphone and not Windows 10 but the new laptop, do contact HP with your problem. It's likely still on warranty from them.

Again, good luck!
tovarisch
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

maxgal wrote: July 18th, 2019, 9:40 am O my goodness!
I haven't been abandoned to the tech demons after all!
"I'm no export" either :D -- I will try your suggestion as soon as I can concentrate.
Thanks very much...LJB
Did it work?
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

Help needed! I just updated Audacity and now find that although my settings are as before, the waveform is practically invisible even at 90% level! I use a usb mic (Zoom H1) and MME and havent had this particular recording problem before (lots of others:) Any suggestions? .. not too technical please :D :D cheers Anne F
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

anneflebari wrote: July 27th, 2019, 8:42 pm Help needed! I just updated Audacity and now find that although my settings are as before, the waveform is practically invisible even at 90% level! I use a usb mic (Zoom H1) and MME and havent had this particular recording problem before (lots of others:) Any suggestions? .. not too technical please :D :D cheers Anne F
Hey! Looks looking I’m following you around :lol: when you say 90% what do you mean? Recording levels? Zoom? It could be helpful to post s picture (you can use photo bucket or imagebb)
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

AH ha! Thanks for the hint..Just realised that after a break of six weeks my Zoom was set to input level of 56....problem solved!! I had terrible problems previously when windows 10 couldnt recognise the mic, kept insisting it was a Zoom stereo mixer every time I switched off...hope that doesn't happen this time :D cheers, Anne F
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

tovarisch wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 10:21 am
PhyllisV wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 9:41 am

Let's go from last to first...

Good luck with your friend's computer!

Let's hope Samson at least responds. Does their site have customer forums, maybe?

No difference with XLR is not what I said. At all. It would make some difference, I have no doubt. But it would mean using your computer's ADC (analog-to-digital converter), which is likely crap, and you're not much better off than with the built-in mic. At Best Buy you could ask to plug your mic into their test computer's USB port, and see how it goes.

Anyway, if you find that it's not the microphone and not Windows 10 but the new laptop, do contact HP with your problem. It's likely still on warranty from them.

Again, good luck!
Just to update - Samson got back to me right away and said there have been intermittent problems with their mics and Windows 10. I sent my mic back to them and they will send me a new one. Hoping this solves everything as I'm sorely missing reading my chapters!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

That's good news. Let's hope for a nice, new, functioning mic!
md9999

Post by md9999 »

I have a recording and there are a few words which I have simply mispronounced and didn't notice at the time. So I need to go back and either re record the word or the sentence and insert them in. I can't find the "How to" file for this for audacity.
Could someone point me in the right direction please?
Thank you.
Maria
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

md9999 wrote: August 4th, 2019, 2:01 am I have a recording and there are a few words which I have simply mispronounced and didn't notice at the time. So I need to go back and either re record the word or the sentence and insert them in. I can't find the "How to" file for this for audacity.
Could someone point me in the right direction please?
Thank you.
Maria
It's largely a question of re-recording the material and then using cut and paste to edit your project. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/edit_menu.html#cut

I find it easier in most cases to re-record an entire phrase or sentence because it's not always possible to place a single word into the recording.