Is Librivox a good platform for putting our church books into audio format

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Biglazy14

Post by Biglazy14 »

Our church group has had its own publishing company for years. The books they published were not copyrighted. We have a lot of the books in pdf format on our church website. So it would be easy to access the reading material. I am researching a good way to put the books into an audio format. We would use volunteers from our church to do the readings. Is Librivox a good platform for doing this? I saw where you can do solo readings but if a group wanted to read is it possible to reserve the chapters to only the ones from our church group?
Also after the reading of a book is finished about how long does it take for it to be published?

Thank in advance
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Others will answer with the definitive answer, but I believe that LibriVox does not publish any work whose copyright has never been registered nor surrendered. It's for that reason that almost all the works you find here were published before 1924. And you'll find some public documents of kind that are not allowed copyright.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome!

We have received requests like this before, and unfortunately, copyright is a bit sticky, so let me explain that first:

There is no such thing as "not copyrighted". The moment you create something, it is copyrighted. There is no registration anywhere required, not even publishing is necessary. This very post of mine is copyrighted! :mrgreen:
That means: all your published books are copyrighted UNLESS you actively placed them in the public domain or you published them under what is called a "copyleft" (the usual CC-BY attributions etc. you see online)

LibriVox only makes audiobooks of books in the public domain. Mostly that means "published before 1924", but there are exceptions. Since your books are copyrighted, they cannot be recorded for LV.

If you want to make your books into audiobooks, the best (and easiest) option is to create them yourself and then upload them to the internet (to archive.org or elsewhere, or on your own website) and make them available under one of the creative commons licenses mentioned in the article above (like: free use for all except commercial purposes). This gives you perfect freedom to choose what can happen to these audiobooks while retaining some rights for yourself.

Hope this helps!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com