The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

TriciaG wrote: July 1st, 2019, 8:51 am You need to copy/move that file you downloaded and cannot open into the plug-ins subfolder. Did you do that?
It won't let me.
I have downloaded it.
And I can (apparently) copy it, but when I go to the plug-ins subfolder, I can't paste it there; the subfolder doesn't give me a "paste" option in the list of things that pops up when I right-click.
I can also move it from the download list onto the screen (desktop), but it won't let me move or copy it into the plug-ins subfolder.

Here is the list of what is in the plug-ins subfolder:
adjustable-fade.ny
beat.ny
clipfix.ny
crossfadeclips.ny
crossfadetracks.ny
delay.ny
equalabel.ny
highpass.ny
limiter.ny
lowpass.ny
notch.ny
nyquist-plug-in-installer.ny
pluck.ny
rhythmtrack.ny
rissetdrum.ny
rms.ny
sample-data-export.ny
sample-data-import.ny
sc4_1882.so
SilenceMarker.ny
SoundFinder.ny
SpectralEditMulti.ny
SpectralEditParametricEQ.ny
SpectralEditShelves.ny
StudioFadeOut.ny
tremolo.ny
vocalrediso.ny
vocalremover.ny
vocoder.ny

There is also a nyquist subfolder; here is the list of what is in there:
aud-do-support.lsp
dspprims.lsp
envelopes.lsp
equalizer.lsp
evalenv.lsp
fileio.lsp
follow.lsp
init.lsp
misc.lsp
nyinit.lsp
nyqmisc.lsp
nyquist-plot.txt
nyquist.lsp
printrec.lsp
profile.lsp
rawwaves
sal-parse.lsp
sal.lsp
seq.lsp
seqfnint.lsp
seqmidi.lsp
sndfnint.lsp
stk.lsp
system.lsp
test.lsp
upic.sal
velocity.lsp
xlinit.lsp
xm.lsp
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Scarlettohara wrote: May 25th, 2019, 2:19 am Hi everyone! I'm a newbe and I'm trying to download audacity into my new Apple ipad. I have a bluetooth keyboard that I use with it. Does audacity work with apple ipads? It's all that I work with because I travel and regular laptops are so cumbersome. Thanks ahead of time for helping!
So audacity does not work with the iPad. BUT if you have 10$ (and with a brand new iPad I assume that you do) there is a app called Houksie that I have used successfully for librivox. You can do all the production in there then export to Dropbox and upload from safari. This is the link
https://www.wooji-juice.com/products/hokusai/
I’m not affiliated with them and will not revive anything for your clicking that link! Just bragging on the only iPad app like audacity!

Hope that helps
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

maxgal wrote: July 1st, 2019, 11:24 am
TriciaG wrote: July 1st, 2019, 8:51 am You need to copy/move that file you downloaded and cannot open into the plug-ins subfolder. Did you do that?
It won't let me.
I have downloaded it.
And I can (apparently) copy it, but when I go to the plug-ins subfolder, I can't paste it there; the subfolder doesn't give me a "paste" option in the list of things that pops up when I right-click.
I can also move it from the download list onto the screen (desktop), but it won't let me move or copy it into the plug-ins subfolder.

Here is the list of what is in the plug-ins subfolder:
adjustable-fade.ny
beat.ny
clipfix.ny
crossfadeclips.ny
crossfadetracks.ny
delay.ny
equalabel.ny
highpass.ny
limiter.ny
lowpass.ny
notch.ny
nyquist-plug-in-installer.ny
pluck.ny
rhythmtrack.ny
rissetdrum.ny
rms.ny
sample-data-export.ny
sample-data-import.ny
sc4_1882.so
SilenceMarker.ny
SoundFinder.ny
SpectralEditMulti.ny
SpectralEditParametricEQ.ny
SpectralEditShelves.ny
StudioFadeOut.ny
tremolo.ny
vocalrediso.ny
vocalremover.ny
vocoder.ny

There is also a nyquist subfolder; here is the list of what is in there:
aud-do-support.lsp
dspprims.lsp
envelopes.lsp
equalizer.lsp
evalenv.lsp
fileio.lsp
follow.lsp
init.lsp
misc.lsp
nyinit.lsp
nyqmisc.lsp
nyquist-plot.txt
nyquist.lsp
printrec.lsp
profile.lsp
rawwaves
sal-parse.lsp
sal.lsp
seq.lsp
seqfnint.lsp
seqmidi.lsp
sndfnint.lsp
stk.lsp
system.lsp
test.lsp
upic.sal
velocity.lsp
xlinit.lsp
xm.lsp
So this is what normally works for me:

1) Find the item in the download menu

2) Press Cmd (on Mac) or Ctrl (on windows) + C

3) Go to the folder that you want to move it to and pree Cmd/Crtl+V

4) Check to make sure that it has copied. If so; move on to the next set of instructions

So as you have already put this in the correct folder this is all that you have need to do.

You just need to do one thing.

1) open audacity

2) Go to effects

3) Click on "Add/Remove Plugins

4) Scroll through the list until you find the one that your trying to add

5) Click enable

6) restart audacity

7) You should be good to go!

Presuming that this was followed correctly and that your version of audacity is working you should be good to go!

If your not just post on here again. I'm no export but I've been goofing around with audio for about 4 years now. If I can help I would love to :)
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

O my goodness!
I haven't been abandoned to the tech demons after all!
"I'm no export" either :D -- I will try your suggestion as soon as I can concentrate.
Thanks very much...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

HI all - need help and I'm not sure if I'm having an Audacity problem or a problem with my mic (Samson Q2u). I just got a new laptop and have installed Audacity, with all of the settings changed according to Librivox recommendations. I did a test recording with my mic, and the recording is sounding very, very muffled. I've checked to make sure there was no noise reduction going on, looked at the settings on my old computer for Audacity and it matches the new laptop. I have no idea what's going on - anyone have any ideas?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

PhyllisV wrote: July 19th, 2019, 12:28 pm HI all - need help and I'm not sure if I'm having an Audacity problem or a problem with my mic (Samson Q2u). I just got a new laptop and have installed Audacity, with all of the settings changed according to Librivox recommendations. I did a test recording with my mic, and the recording is sounding very, very muffled. I've checked to make sure there was no noise reduction going on, looked at the settings on my old computer for Audacity and it matches the new laptop. I have no idea what's going on - anyone have any ideas?
Did you select your mic as the input device?

Plug in the mic, then start Audacity. (Alternately, go to Transport / Rescan Audio Devices)
Then do Shift-I and select your mic as the recording device.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

TriciaG wrote: July 19th, 2019, 12:30 pm
PhyllisV wrote: July 19th, 2019, 12:28 pm HI all - need help and I'm not sure if I'm having an Audacity problem or a problem with my mic (Samson Q2u). I just got a new laptop and have installed Audacity, with all of the settings changed according to Librivox recommendations. I did a test recording with my mic, and the recording is sounding very, very muffled. I've checked to make sure there was no noise reduction going on, looked at the settings on my old computer for Audacity and it matches the new laptop. I have no idea what's going on - anyone have any ideas?
Did you select your mic as the input device?

Plug in the mic, then start Audacity. (Alternately, go to Transport / Rescan Audio Devices)
Then do Shift-I and select your mic as the recording device.
Hi Tricia - yes, I selected my mic. I tried closing Audacity and unplugging the mic. Plugged the mic back in, then opened audacity, but it's still very muffled. So frustrating!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do you have other USB ports on your computer that you could try?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

PhyllisV wrote: July 19th, 2019, 1:03 pm ... I tried closing Audacity and unplugging the mic. Plugged the mic back in, then opened audacity, but it's still very muffled. So frustrating!
Is there any other software you could try? Like "Sound Recorder" or Skype or FaceTime... Is there another microphone you could try as well, maybe the built-in one? Does it sound better than the new Samson?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

tovarisch wrote: July 19th, 2019, 2:00 pm
PhyllisV wrote: July 19th, 2019, 1:03 pm ... I tried closing Audacity and unplugging the mic. Plugged the mic back in, then opened audacity, but it's still very muffled. So frustrating!
Is there any other software you could try? Like "Sound Recorder" or Skype or FaceTime... Is there another microphone you could try as well, maybe the built-in one? Does it sound better than the new Samson?
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I haven't Skype'd or Facetime'd, I don't have anything to compare the sound quality to. I did try the internal mic - it doesn't have the muffled sound that the Samson does, but it sounds like I'm talking through a tin can.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

PhyllisV wrote: July 21st, 2019, 9:08 am
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I haven't Skype'd or Facetime'd, I don't have anything to compare the sound quality to. I did try the internal mic - it doesn't have the muffled sound that the Samson does, but it sounds like I'm talking through a tin can.
I also just tried ocenaudio and the sound was muffled, which tells me it's the mic that's the problem and not Audacity. Any suggestions on what I should do next?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

PhyllisV wrote: July 21st, 2019, 9:46 am
I also just tried ocenaudio and the sound was muffled, which tells me it's the mic that's the problem and not Audacity. Any suggestions on what I should do next?
If you were to take the mic to a BestBuy or something like it, they would probably test the mic in the hope of selling you a new one (then or one day.) I suppose I would telephone first.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

KevinS wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:08 am

If you were to take the mic to a BestBuy or something like it, they would probably test the mic in the hope of selling you a new one (then or one day.) I suppose I would telephone first.
The crazy thing is, the mic is absolutely fine with my old laptop.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

PhyllisV wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:43 am
KevinS wrote: July 21st, 2019, 10:08 am

The crazy thing is, the mic is absolutely fine with my old laptop.
I also checked to see if drivers for the mic needed updating, or even for the USB ports. No luck with that either. :(
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: July 19th, 2019, 1:07 pm Do you have other USB ports on your computer that you could try?
Did you answer this question? The connection at the current port may be flawed.