[COMPLETE]Multilingual Short Works Collection 022 - Poetry & Prose - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Abhat

wow I would be happy to have something in Hindi for this collection. Even though I need someone to PL the section, as I cannot read the script at all.
abhat wrote: July 18th, 2019, 4:25 am I would like to submit one or maybe more stories in hindi from this link
https://www.hindisahityadarpan.in
Could you please confirm if this will be accepted?
at first glance, no, I don't think this is an acceptable site. I don't see any original scans from books older than 1923. :? (please correct me if I'm wrong and give me an exact link to a scanned text). We need this to confirm the text is out of copyright and unaltered from what it was in the original.

Have you tried checking on archive.org ? I think they have a large collection of books scanned by Indian libraries, there is bound to be many in Hindi. A simple search for "Hindi" gives me over 50,000 books :shock:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=hindi&and[]=languageSorter%3A%22Hindi%22

maybe there is something to your liking. Now what is important is that you check inside the book that there is a page stating the publishing date. It needs to be before 1923. If the scanned book has such a page, then I would say it's safe to use.

Unfortunately I cannot further help here, because I don't speak the language at all, or decipher the script.

Good luck, and I hope you find something. 8-)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
abhat

Post by abhat »

Thanks Kitty.

I will try to see if I can find something on that site. I didn't know I could use that site. :D

I am sure there are Hindi speaking users on Librivox ;)

Cheers!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

abhat wrote: July 18th, 2019, 4:37 amI will try to see if I can find something on that site. I didn't know I could use that site. :D
yes actually this site is very good because we can check the original scan. So if you find a date previous to 1923, you're good to go (I would say). But post the link back here before you record, just to make sure.
I am sure there are Hindi speaking users on Librivox ;)
yes if you have anyone you could recommend, I'll ask him over to help us out 8-) I think I actually know one or two readers who could help...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Just to confirm, I have contacted a Hindi-speaker/reader who is willing to PL your section, once you find a suitable source. So I would say: go for it ! :thumbs:

Sonia
abhat

Post by abhat »

Kitty wrote: July 18th, 2019, 7:11 am Just to confirm, I have contacted a Hindi-speaker/reader who is willing to PL your section, once you find a suitable source. So I would say: go for it ! :thumbs:

Sonia
Thanks Sonia.

I know some of the texts in archive.org is very old but the scans are of new editions. I am trying to find the older edition prints... :|
As soon as I find something I will send the link!

Cheers!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

abhat wrote: July 18th, 2019, 8:25 amI know some of the texts in archive.org is very old but the scans are of new editions. I am trying to find the older edition prints... :|
I know, unfortunately that is the problem. Of course any Veda-texts (for example) are really really old, but we need to read from a book that was published before 1923. Unless you read from the original scrolls in a museum ;) , it's what we have to rely on. Otherwise, newer editions have copyright and they also usually edit the texts, so this is not ok for LibriVox.

I am sure some of the texts must be from old prints. Keep digging.

Sonia
Anders

Post by Anders »

Kitty wrote: July 16th, 2019, 11:27 pm
Anders wrote: July 16th, 2019, 11:45 amCan I use this source: https://da.wikisource.org/wiki/Konen_med_%C3%86ggene?
It's from Wikisource, and I can see it has a public domain disclaimer in the end :)
no, sorry :( we only use wikisource if they include the original scan as well. Otherwise we cannot be sure, that the text is the same, because wikisource is not really checking the PD status accurately. Anybody can write anything on there. So unless we have the scan as well, we are cautious about wikisource. As far as I can see, this page doesn't include the scan, or did I miss something ? :hmm:

But you're in luck, I made some further researches on the official Danish Andersen site and found the collection where the poem was included. "Digte, gamle og nye". 8-) And I found the scan as google-books: https://books.google.lu/books?id=4BBeAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=de&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
here the poem is included (p. 92) and you can see on the first page that it's the edition of 1847, so we can use this source. I hope the old typefont is not a problem for you ;) Could you read from this source please, so we can be sure it's the unaltered text ? I will also check against this source.

Now looking forward to this :9: Have fun !!!

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

That's great! Thank you very much for your research :D

I'll definitely read it soon so it can be a part of this collection :)

Best regards,
Anders
Lucasoliveira

Post by Lucasoliveira »

Hi again! Another contribution, now in portuguese.
  • Duration of recording (mm:ss) - 02:38
  • Title of work - Lei Áurea ou Lei Imperial n.° 3.353
  • Date of publication - 1888
  • Name of author - Rodrigo Augusto Da Silva
  • Birth date and date of death of author if available - (1833-1889)
  • Brief indication of the work in a few words: (for example: poetry or prose, fiction or non-fiction, genre or keywords; will be used in the summary): Non-fiction, law that abolished slavery in Brazil. Brazil, law, slavery, abolishment, escravidão, abolição.
  • Language: Portuguese
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lucasoliveira wrote: July 19th, 2019, 6:47 pm Hi again! Another contribution, now in portuguese.
  • Duration of recording (mm:ss) - 02:38
  • Title of work - Lei Áurea ou Lei Imperial n.° 3.353
this is such a COOL find, Lucas :9: thank you so much, and it will give us another language in this project.

Here we can use wikisource, because the original scan is included. I even checked with the original charta to see if it was correctly transcribed. Luckily it's easy to read (often old texts aren't :? )

A great text, well worthy to be included.

I have a few small notes to edit though:

> the volume is too low, barely 83 dB. I would at least amplify with 4 dB, preferably 5 if that is possible without clipping

> at 0:01: for such small texts you can use the abbreviated disclaimer, see first post ! otherwise the disclaimer is longer than the text :lol:

> at 0:35-0:37: the pause is a bit too long here, I would say cut one second

> at 1:43-1:46: also here in the middle of the sentence, the pause is too long

thank you

Sonia
sonora

Post by sonora »

Hello,

I would like to add this:
• URL for the mp3 file from the Uploader - msw022_smrtkmotrenka_erben_mch_128kb.mp3
• Duration of recording (mm:ss) - 07:26
• URL for online text - https://archive.org/details/stoprostonrodn00erbeuoft/page/n5
• Title of work - Sto prostonárodních pohádek a pověstí slovanských v nářečích původních (A hundred national Slavic fairy-tales and legends in original dialects)
• Date of publication - 1865
• Name of author - Karel Jaromír Erben
• Birth date and date of death of author - 1811 - 1870
• URL for author information (e.g. wikipedia) if available - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_Jarom%C3%ADr_Erben
• Brief indication of the work in a few words: A collection of (fairy) tales in Western, Southern and Eastern Slavic languages)
• Language: Czech (Moravian dialect)
• Reader's name to use on the catalogue page: Martina Chumak

PS. I realized I should re-record the beginning and add "read in Czech" but I have a cold right now and can't really use my voice :D So I'll do it as soon as I can, I just couldn't wait to hear if the recording's any good :)

Thank you for your feedback!
M
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sonora wrote: July 20th, 2019, 9:41 pm I would like to add this:
• URL for the mp3 file from the Uploader - msw022_smrtkmotrenka_erben_mch_128kb.mp3
• Duration of recording (mm:ss) - 07:26
• URL for online text - https://archive.org/details/stoprostonrodn00erbeuoft/page/n5
• Title of work - Sto prostonárodních pohádek a pověstí slovanských v nářečích původních (A hundred national Slavic fairy-tales and legends in original dialects)
hello Martina, good to have you finally in this collection !!! I see this is the first ever official recording you're making for LV. :9:

Well I'm excited to listen to Czech for once. Your reading was very clear and I even understood many words in there, because they are so similar to Russian. It was fun detecting a vocabulary that I would understand.

I hope that you liked the recording process and that we will hear a lot more from you. :D

Now concerning your recording, as a whole it was word perfect :thumbs: but you need to do a few minor corrections before I can mark it ok. Nothing difficult, so no need to re-record anything ! Just do the following:

> the volume is only at 75 db, we need between 86 and 92. Could you amplify the whole with 12 please ? Do you use Audacity ? It's very easy to amplify in that program:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 12 in the first upper slot (called "amplification dB")
> press ok

> in the disclaimer, as you already noticed yourself, yes please add "read in Czech"

> at 5:38-5:41: between "chystrosti nemel" and "syn jednou": anything over 2 seconds of pause feels much too long for a listener. I would keep the breaks to a maximum of 1.5 if possible. At least less than 2 seconds, and here you have 3 ! :shock: I already thought the recording was over when the silence started

> at 7:19: you have over 7 seconds at the end, please cut it down to the standard 5 seconds

> and please always post the correct link, yours was not a "link" proper, it should look like this and be clickable:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_smrtkmotrenka_erben_mch_128kb.mp3

Thank you for this great contribution. And if there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask

Sonia
Anders

Post by Anders »

Hi,

I just finished reading a poem in Danish by the Danish author H.C. Andersen called "Konen med æggene" :D
Besides his famous fairy tales, H.C. Andersen did many other creative things in his life, including poems.

• URL for the mp3 file from the Uploader: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw022_konenmedaeggene_andersen_ak_128kb.mp3
• Recording time: 2:33 min.
• URL for online text: https://books.google.lu/books?id=4BBeAAAAcAAJ&hl=de&pg=PA92#v=onepage&q&f=false
• Title of work: Konen med æggene (en gammel historie sat i rim)
• Date of publication: 1847
• Name of author: H.C. Andersen (1805-1875)
• URL for author information (e.g. wikipedia) if available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Christian_Andersen
• Brief indication of the work in a few words: Poetry, funny, wishful thinking
• Language: Danish

I was a little unsure if I filled out the ID3 tags correctly (for instance if I should write enter "H.C. Andersen" or "Hans Christian Andersen"), but I hope it works out! If you need me to change anything, just tell me :D
Edit: I found an error in the ID3 tags in my first upload, so I uploaded the file again.

Best regards,
Anders
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Actually, you don't need to worry much about the ID tags. I think they are now mostly done automatically except for info I have to enter about the author and PD source material.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Anders wrote: July 21st, 2019, 11:36 am I just finished reading a poem in Danish by the Danish author H.C. Andersen called "Konen med æggene" :D
wow my first excursion into the Danish language. First of all, thank you for the very expressive and clear narrative. It made my job easier to listen to and follow along. Not only is it an unknown language to me (and knowing German does not really help, I noticed) but the script was difficult to read since I don't know the words. :?

I managed to stay with you till the end though and I am fairly sure that you read everything that was in the text. ;) I think I can give it a PL ok without any problems. I loved the finale where the eggs break (I think I got this from the text). So is this the famous fable of the girl who wants to sell her eggs on the market and muses what she could buy with the money and in the end the eggs break and she has nothing ?

Excellent addition in any case. :thumbs: Thank you so much

Oh and Todd already replied to your question, indeed the ID tags are automatic, no need to add anything there.

Sonia
Anders

Post by Anders »

ToddHW wrote: July 21st, 2019, 1:25 pm Thank you.

Actually, you don't need to worry much about the ID tags. I think they are now mostly done automatically except for info I have to enter about the author and PD source material.

Todd
Oh, okay! Thank you, Todd :D

And thank you very much for the PL and the feedback, Kitty!

It's great to hear that you could follow along with the Danish. That's very well done (and probably must have sound a bit weird to you) :D

I guess you're right about the old fable. It's very much about wishful thinking and dream yourself away, until the reality hits you :lol: