Orgonomics (sp?)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I have no idea of how the topic is spelled, or if I'm even close to what I mean to discuss.

The question is, Would a 'pen' as a mouse be better for me? I use the 'roller' quite a lot and am beginning to feel pain in my arm. I'm going to try to use the other hand for a bit, but that's quite a change for me.

Edit: Typo corrected.
Last edited by KevinS on July 17th, 2019, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I think you probably mean "ergonomics". Regardless, I am not sure that a stylus on a tablet (that's what you likely mean by "a pen") would be a reasonably inexpensive alternative to a mouse. There is a trackball (you use your thumb/fingers to move the cursor on the screen) and there are different types of mice (some are actually a hybrid solution), differently shaped, with different ways of grasping them. I would recommend taking a trip to your local computer/electronics retailer and trying all devices they have. It's rather difficult for others to predict what would solve your particular problem.

Being a professional computer user I do use a mouse (a simple wired optical one) the whole day. I don't have any pain in the arm, so I can't really advise you any specific solution either, I can only share what my approach to preventing fatigue (and associated with it ailments) is. I use a semi-soft mouse mat, which hangs about an inch off the edge of the desk. I move my mouse with the combination of my thumb and the ring finger/pinky only, while my right palm rests on the mat (by its "heel", the soft part adjacent to the wrist), with my arm essentially hanging in the air (bridging between the shoulder and the palm). I (learned to) make large movement of the cursor on the screen by several smaller movements while repositioning of the mouse between them (not sure how to explain it better).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

tovarisch wrote: July 17th, 2019, 10:18 am I think you probably mean "ergonomics". Regardless, I am not sure that a stylus on a tablet (that's what you likely mean by "a pen") would be a reasonably inexpensive alternative to a mouse. There is a trackball (you use your thumb/fingers to move the cursor on the screen) and there are different types of mice (some are actually a hybrid solution), differently shaped, with different ways of grasping them. I would recommend taking a trip to your local computer/electronics retailer and trying all devices they have. It's rather difficult for others to predict what would solve your particular problem.

Being a professional computer user I do use a mouse (a simple wired optical one) the whole day. I don't have any pain in the arm, so I can't really advise you any specific solution either, I can only share what my approach to preventing fatigue (and associated with it ailments) is. I use a semi-soft mouse mat, which hangs about an inch off the edge of the desk. I move my mouse with the combination of my thumb and the ring finger/pinky only, while my right palm rests on the mat (by its "heel", the soft part adjacent to the wrist), with my arm essentially hanging in the air (bridging between the shoulder and the palm). I (learned to) make large movement of the cursor on the screen by several smaller movements while repositioning of the mouse between them (not sure how to explain it better).
Thank you! You may have the solution in what you describe at the close. I'll give it a try!

With grateful appreciation of your not making fun of my ignorance,

Kevin

P.S. You are more noble than I!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

One other thing helps (and I am fairly sure you know of that already): take breaks, relax. Fatigue develops because we stress/strain ourselves unduly and don't let muscles/tendons recover between periods of stress/strain. Keep reminding yourself to relax your shoulders too, that should improve blood circulation in your wrists, palms, forearms as well.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

tovarisch wrote: July 17th, 2019, 10:44 am One other thing helps (and I am fairly sure you know of that already): take breaks, relax. Fatigue develops because we stress/strain ourselves unduly and don't let muscles/tendons recover between periods of stress/strain. Keep reminding yourself to relax your shoulders too, that should improve blood circulation in your wrists, palms, forearms as well.
I do forget about breaks at times. Thank you.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I use a mouse pad with a built in soft wrist rest so the weight of my arm is taken off of my shoulder and transferred to my wrist. It doesn't reduce the scrolling using the middle button but it allows my shoulder girdle to relax a lot more. Used to have pain but not since the wrist pad. Breaks are nice too, especially to get a cup of gumbo.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
schrm

Post by schrm »

i try to avoid big mouses with an average or more than average height.
it works much better for me, i think it depends on the size of your hands and your body-posture while sitting in front of your monitor..
on the other hand, my fresh and shiny mouse i have bought is a wooden one - it is bigger then i like it, but i have no problems so far. so the mould? haptics? do matter..
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

philchenevert wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:02 am I use a mouse pad with a built in soft wrist rest so the weight of my arm is taken off of my shoulder and transferred to my wrist. It doesn't reduce the scrolling using the middle button but it allows my shoulder girdle to relax a lot more. Used to have pain but not since the wrist pad. Breaks are nice too, especially to get a cup of gumbo.
Good idea. I've always wondered what those pads were for. (I'm not too bright, you know. Very little gumbo brain food up north.)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:28 am i try to avoid big mouses with an average or more than average height.
it works much better for me, i think it depends on the size of your hands and your body-posture while sitting in front of your monitor..
on the other hand, my fresh and shiny mouse i have bought is a wooden one - it is bigger then i like it, but i have no problems so far. so the mould? haptics? do matter..
A wooden mouse? That's interesting!
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:46 am

bamboo - the mouse i wanted wasnt available and i was nosy :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:53 am

Austrians always have good taste, I've found.
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:58 am

:lol:
Mille grazie Kevin - scusi, ma non parlo portuges
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: July 17th, 2019, 12:53 pm
KevinS wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:58 am

:lol:
Mille grazie Kevin - scusi, ma non parlo portuges
Und ich spreche kein deutsch!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

My fancy mouse pad arrived today and I have set it in place. I only wish I felt better today so that I might give it a full workout. It's certainly a change, though, and seems an improvement! Thank you all for your advice.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Someone may have already posted this, but the important this is to keep your hand, wrist and forearm all straight and supported horizontal to the floor and to take breaks. If you can switch your mouse to your opposite side once and a while, I find that helps too. Personally I alternate between a trackball style mouse with my right hand, a regular 2-button mouse with my left hand and a pen tablet when I need to get in close with my selections.
Jo