What next?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm looking for some things to read that are not so challenging so that I can contribute but also take a rest from doctrinal tracts and, believe it or not, children's tales. Reading for children---not that I'm any good at it---is exhausting! One has to read with a constant smile on one's face!

I like the idea of hard-boiled detective stories, but I don't think they were written until the 30s. Horror stories are a bit too Gothic / Baroque (?) for me. Maybe Zane Grey (sp?) like material. I don't know.

Suggestions would be most helpful.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Maybe Jules Verne? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75429

I often browse Book Suggestions for ideas. That's what it's there for. ;)

EDIT: Or scout the latest releases at Project Gutenberg.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: July 15th, 2019, 2:31 pm Maybe Jules Verne? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75429

I often browse Book Suggestions for ideas. That's what it's there for. ;)

EDIT: Or scout the latest releases at Project Gutenberg.
That's a good suggestion. Well, you actually made two good suggestions, I think. Hahaha.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Category:Bookshelf is handy if you want a specific type

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 15th, 2019, 2:51 pm https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Category:Bookshelf is handy if you want a specific type

Anne
Thank you! I'll look now.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I think I've found something.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2861/2861-h/2861-h.htm#link2H_4_0017

I'm sorry to be a bother all the time, but it's hard for me to make up my mind about things that are new to me.

One of the stories in this collection has been done, which I understand is fine. I can re-record it when the time comes.

I would be happy to make this a group project but should it lag, I could do a story each three weeks or so. Would that be all right?

I just want something with which I can unwind.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd suggest just making it a solo. I thought that was what you were looking for - something YOU would want to read. If you make it a group project, others could claim the whole thing, leaving you with nothing. ;)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: July 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm I'd suggest just making it a solo. I thought that was what you were looking for - something YOU would want to read. If you make it a group project, others could claim the whole thing, leaving you with nothing. ;)
Okay, I will, but it won't get done quickly I'm afraid. (Unless I get carried away. It happens!)

Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You can work a solo at your own pace. As long as you post every month or so to let your MC know you're still interested and working on the project, you can take as long as you need.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I assumed you were after a Solo too, and I agree with all Tricia said. Make it a Solo, then you control how busy you are. You have no control over your time for group projects.

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kevin, just letting you know your probably going to be bombarded with "read in my project" requests, (I see I'll be first to do so), but I would suggest reading in those projects that haven't quite gotten started yet, or are going slowly.

Otherwise, maybe have a try in one of these:
Benjamin Franklin (1 section open)
Discoveries among Ninevah (25 section open)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 15th, 2019, 3:42 pm I assumed you were after a Solo too, and I agree with all Tricia said. Make it a Solo, then you control how busy you are. You have no control over your time for group projects.

Anne
TriciaG wrote: July 15th, 2019, 3:30 pm You can work a solo at your own pace. As long as you post every month or so to let your MC know you're still interested and working on the project, you can take as long as you need.
Good advice all around! Thank you.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ej400 wrote: July 15th, 2019, 4:04 pm Kevin, just letting you know your probably going to be bombarded with "read in my project" requests, (I see I'll be first to do so), but I would suggest reading in those projects that haven't quite gotten started yet, or are going slowly.

Otherwise, maybe have a try in one of these:
Benjamin Franklin (1 section open)
Discoveries among Ninevah (25 section open)
ej, go soak your head!

I'm only kidding, of course.

I'll try to help with one of your projects, but, to tell the truth, this heat is killing me. I've sworn off AC but I'm going to give in soon. That said, I was to the doctor's today and nearly froze. I could have worn a sweater.