[COMPLETE] The History of Philosophy by William Turner - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Also, if you need any help with Greek pronunciation again, I can go look at the page and write it out phonetically for you. I’m a Classics student (so I’m relatively proficient in Ancient Greek - still can’t read Homer without some assistance :D )
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
daddo

Post by daddo »

Elizabby wrote: June 19th, 2019, 4:22 pm Hi, sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you - I'm having internet problems, probably due to the NBN rollout in my area.

This is the link for the text with the Greek rendered into English script: https://maritain.nd.edu/jmc/etext/hop09.htm

Yes, that introduction sounds perfect - the two-page introduction is too short to make a separate section so I've just included the introductions to each section with the first chapter.

Alternatively, if it's all too tricky, feel free to switch sections if you haven't started recording yet.
NBN more like NB-When amirite?

That's fantastic and saves me some hassle! And I'm happy to keep with this chapter, I'll aim to have it recorded and submitted within the next week.
Epip

Post by Epip »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting my reading done. In the last month and change we have moved cities, and my primary microphone didn't survive the move. It's on its way to Audio-Technica for repairs, so I will do the Schopenhauer section as soon as I can afterwards.
andrelevy

Post by andrelevy »

hi
I'd like to claim: Modern Philosophy: Section 53:Chapter 63: German Philosophy - Kant p527-548
Cheers
André
elizabethcanright

Post by elizabethcanright »

I will claim sections 22 and 23!

Elizabeth
andrelevy

Post by andrelevy »

Regarding footnotes and citations: is there a preferred form of reading. For example,
- should we precede a citation with "quote" followed by "end of quote"?
- should we read the footnote when not interrupting the flow of a sentence (rather than immediately when footnote appears), and precede footnot with "footnote" followed by "end of footnote".
Any thoughts are appreciated. (First time reading a more academic text for Librivox.)
Cheers
André
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

andrelevy wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 8:11 am Regarding footnotes and citations: is there a preferred form of reading. For example,
- should we precede a citation with "quote" followed by "end of quote"?
- should we read the footnote when not interrupting the flow of a sentence (rather than immediately when footnote appears), and precede footnot with "footnote" followed by "end of footnote".
Any thoughts are appreciated. (First time reading a more academic text for Librivox.)
Yes and yes :) It’s standard LibriVox policy to say “quote” “end quote” for quotes. For footnotes, you would say “footnote” “end footnote” and I usually wait until the end of the sentence before reading the footnote. Hopefully this helped!
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

However not all references and footnotes need to be given! Please only read footnotes that add to the text or are interesting, not just citations. I expect most footnotes to be omitted - interested readers can look them up.
daddo

Post by daddo »

I have finished chapter 13 (section 16) and am ready for proof listening:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_16__turner_128kb.mp3 (file length: 31:44).

@elsieselwyn I do worry I may have butchered some of the Greek and Latin words; if that is the case, could you please let me know which and how to pronounce them, and I'll practice those before re-recording.
andrelevy

Post by andrelevy »

Hi

just posted section 53
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy53_turner_128kb.mp3
I'm afraid it's 66 mins long. Should I split it or try to shorten it?
Cheers
Cheers
André
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

No, 66 mins is fine and just under our 72 minute limit! If a file ends up longer than 72mins then I would usually split it into two sections - reading faster is not usually a good solution.

If there are PL notes, I’ll get you to correct the filename when you reupload, as it currently is missing an underscore, the sections won’t sort themselves into the correct order.
Tillouz

Post by Tillouz »

Hello-
This is my first project on Librivox, although I've done some (limited) voice acting before (don't ask me what happened to it, project just shut down one day)
I'd like to claim some parts, and since I'm the new kid around the block for now I'd like to have just section 2 and see where we go from there.
Thanks!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sure, I can hold Section 2 for you, but before you record for me, please check the Wiki or the introduction email for the full instructions on how to complete your 1 minute test. It’s just to make sure your files will be compatible with our system in terms of bit rate and other techy things I don’t really understand.

Then come back here and confirm your name for your voice credit in the catalogue and you can start!
Tillouz

Post by Tillouz »

Hey!
I've completed the one minute test, so everything's taken care of more or less.
I'll start recording today.
Name's Tyr Illouz.

Edit: I've noticed that section 2 was actually already claimed, so I've started recording section 3 instead. I'll keep the part of section 2 I've already recorded for now, but I wouldn't want to accidentally claim someone else wanted.
kassiey wrote: May 18th, 2019, 6:35 am Can I claim section1&2?
Just lemme know if this is fine with you.

Thanks,
Tyr
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

No, that claim was rescinded and the Magic Window is up to date. I have you in as Section 2, please record that one first - you can claim Section 3 as well if you like.