[COMPLETE][Psychology]Nerves And Common Sense by Annie Payson Call - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Scientila wrote: May 14th, 2019, 5:28 am I plugged in and opened the program.
Left to right
Now it shows MME to the extreme left
Microphone(Realtek Audio) is selected.(in the drop down there is Microsoft Windows mapper)
1(Mono) Recording
Speakers/headphones(Realtek)
yes, I'm pretty sure that Realtek is your laptop microphone and not your headphones. So the headset is not recognized by the computer. :|

Can you do a right-click on the loudspeaker icon in the bottom right corner of your computer ? You can open "Recording devices" then and there you must see a list of all the recording devices that your computer recognizes. If your headset is not listed there, then you need to "install" them first. Maybe you have a CD with a driver with the headset ? :hmm: Then you need to run it first on the computer. Or maybe you find some help online if you search for the brand of your headset.

Jay, do you have any idea what to do so the computer recognizes the headphones as microphone ?

Sonia
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Sonia,

You are sooo correct. My laptop is not recognizing the panasonic headset. Will try to fix this.

Thank you so much for your continuos help!

-Scientila
This username is also my Gmail address.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Scientila wrote: May 16th, 2019, 6:46 pmYou are sooo correct. My laptop is not recognizing the panasonic headset. Will try to fix this.
ah yes, I feared something like this. As I said, I had the same trouble with my first microphone. You need to check online, or in the original box you bought the headset. There must be some way to "install" the driver on your computer. You can also write a post in the Help forum here, post all the details about your microphone. Maybe someone else uses it too and know how to install it.

Good luck !

Sonia
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Hi Gren and Sonia,

Thank you so much for the tremendous help ! I got a new headset and recorded chapter 1 again and this time I ensured my headset was recognized/selected. Pretty satisfied with my recording. Huge difference with respect to noise levels when compared to the previous one.

Sorry for the trouble... Gren, could you please PL it again as I have done a new recording.

Thanks,
Scientila
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Scientila wrote: May 29th, 2019, 4:22 pmThank you so much for the tremendous help ! I got a new headset and recorded chapter 1 again and this time I ensured my headset was recognized/selected. Pretty satisfied with my recording. Huge difference with respect to noise levels when compared to the previous one.
brilliant choice, Scientila :clap: I am happy that we found the trouble with the microphone right from the start, that way you didn't lose too much work. I had a short listen to your section, just to hear the sound and I agree, this one is totally better, clearly understandable and no background noise. :thumbs: You can absolutely continue like this.

Please always make sure that your microphone is plugged in before you open Audacity. Believe me, it still happens to me sometimes that I open Audacity first and then I'm always annoyed when it doesn't show the microphone in the drop-down box :lol:

I will let Gren do the full PL job, but I figured you wanted some quick feedback on sound ;) The volume is a bit low on our accepted limit, you are just over 86 dB. It's accepted, but if you can boost it by 2 dB that would even be perfect. You don't have to do that now, wait for PL feedback first and if all is fine, just try to boost the next sections.

Another thing you could watch out for is the DC bias. That one should be about -1, 0 or +1. I am not totally sure what it is, but it has to do with your recording waves being "centred" exactly on you middle blue line (in Audacity). If it's too much out of kilter, the sound may be distorted. Yours is at +7 here, which is still fine and there is no distortion. Only watch it that it's not getting larger (I once had a reader whose DC bias was over 1000 :shock: there we had to change the settings). If you want to normalize your recording, this is easily done in Audacity:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> got to Normalize
> tick the box "remove DC offset"
> press OK

you may notice that your waves are slightly moving, meaning they are more centralized now

But as I said, maybe it's not important with an offset of +7 only.

In any case, a great choice of microphone and I hope you enjoy recording much more now that you know that the sound will be better. :9:

happy continuation

Sonia
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Hi Sonia,

I completely agree with you. Glad all is on track at first chapter...else I would have felt so bad.
Thank you again for your suggestions. will amplify and normalize my recording.

Feels good now!

Thanks,
Scientila
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Scientila wrote: May 29th, 2019, 4:22 pm Sorry for the trouble... Gren, could you please PL it again as I have done a new recording.
so, since Gren right now is pretty busy with life outside LV ;) and I didn't want to leave you waiting too long for feedback, I just listened to your first section. It's very nicely read, a good pacing, not too fast, so it's easily understandable. :thumbs: The sound is much better too, so I'm glad you got that new microphone.

No errors found, it's PL ok. Good job.

Have fun with the next section.

Sonia
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Awesome. Thank you!
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Hi Gren/Sonia,

Posted Chapter 2. Thanks for PLing.

Thanks,
Scientila
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I have not heard back from Gren in a while. She mentioned that she may be too busy for some time.

I will put myself in as DPL for the time being, so at least you won't have to wait too long for feedback, Scientila. I will try to PL your section over the weekend :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Scientila wrote: July 6th, 2019, 4:16 pm Posted Chapter 2. Thanks for PLing.
so I finally found some time to PL your section. Very interesting, he is promoting yoga in a way to relax the body and the calm the nerves.

I have a few small notes to make:

> at the beginning you leave over 2 seconds of silence, we recommend 0.5-1 second, which is plenty enough. Else people may already think something is wrong with the recording that it doesn’t start ;)

> at 3:16: “Anything that this poor little invalid did not like about circumstances or people she felt ugly and cried over.” – I don’t know if you wish me to correct pronunciation errors, but here is a word that changes meaning the way you say it: “inVALid” stressed on the second syllable means “not valid” – but “INvalid” stressed on the first syllable is meant here, a “person who is ill”.

> you need to be careful not to bump the microphone too much, there is some rustling and plosives in the recording. No need to change this time, but it may be a good thing to place the mic to the side of your mouth, so you don’t blow immediately into it. When the air of the breath blows alongside it, the plosives will lessen

thank you, looking forward to the next chapter :)

Sonia
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Thank you for listening to it. I’ll make the corrections.
I would love those pronunciation corrections. It’s a learning opportunity for me. I can improve a lot from this.

Thanks again!

Scientila
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Scientila

I haven't heard from you in quite some time. I hope all is well. Could I just have a short status update ? No need to rush recordings in a solo, but a regular update from time to time would be helpful, let's say once every two months at least. That way I know you are still around and interested. :)

Sonia
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

During summer break I recorded a few. Will edit them and post for PF.
Thanks for the patience.

Scientila
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Scientila wrote: October 4th, 2019, 5:06 amDuring summer break I recorded a few. Will edit them and post for PF.
super, thanks for letting me know. And I hope your holidays were refreshing :D

Sonia