Navigating the MW

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Is there a way of having the MW fill the screen when working with it? It's not a terrible problem for me, but something like this would be helpful.

To be clear, I know a BC or PL (etc.) can just hit the BC button, but then one seems to lose the helpful shading of entries.

Again, not a big problem. Maybe I'm just more curious than anything else.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You can zoom in using your browser settings. That's about it. You can't adjust the column widths or anything like that.

(Posted before you edited and clarified a bit in your OP.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ej400

Post by ej400 »

KevinS wrote: July 10th, 2019, 2:08 pm Is there a way of having the MW fill the screen when working with it? It's not a terrible problem for me, but something like this would be helpful.

To be clear, I know a BC or PL (etc.) can just hit the BC button, but then one seems to lose the helpful shading of entries.

Again, not a big problem. Maybe I'm just more curious than anything else.
I'm terribly confused as to what your asking, no offence. Like, you click the login button and it automatically fills in things for you? What I said there doesn't make sense, but that's what I'm getting.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My guess would be that he would like to be able to expand the MW in the thread so he didn't need to scroll all the time which would be handy at times but not possible with the present software, he will just need to use the workflow and contemplate how difficult it must have been before the MW existed - it's no wonder it earned its nickname of magic window :D

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 10th, 2019, 3:44 pm My guess would be that he would like to be able to expand the MW in the thread so he didn't need to scroll all the time which would be handy at times but not possible with the present software, he will just need to use the workflow and contemplate how difficult it must have been before the MW existed - it's no wonder it earned its nickname of magic window :D

Anne
You are correct about his inquiry.

And, yes, it is all a bit magical, isn't it?
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

actually, there is a trick I discovered a while back when I was combing through older project threads and getting my head around librivox history for my dissertation--
the iframe element that makes the MW work can be viewed as its own page if you poke around a bit.
here's an example from an almost-finished project:
https://librivox.org/public_readers_iframe/13527

the number at the end of the URL there is the project number, same as the one in the BC's section compiler link and the same one that marks the project's eventual place in the catalog. so you can edit my random example URL above to show the project number from something you're working on, like this: https://librivox.org/public_readers_iframe/14179 (Explanation of Catholic Morals by John H. Stapleton).

the only thing is, the MW frames don't include any title info or anything, so once you have the iframe open by itself, it could be difficult to remember which project it's actually from.

anyway, this minor "hack" might be a solution of sorts to what you're looking for. let me know if you have any questions about it and I'll see if I can help or explain things better.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

plaidsicle wrote: July 11th, 2019, 5:36 am actually, there is a trick I discovered a while back when I was combing through older project threads and getting my head around librivox history for my dissertation--
the iframe element that makes the MW work can be viewed as its own page if you poke around a bit.
here's an example from an almost-finished project:
https://librivox.org/public_readers_iframe/13527

the number at the end of the URL there is the project number, same as the one in the BC's section compiler link and the same one that marks the project's eventual place in the catalog. so you can edit my random example URL above to show the project number from something you're working on, like this: https://librivox.org/public_readers_iframe/14179 (Explanation of Catholic Morals by John H. Stapleton).

the only thing is, the MW frames don't include any title info or anything, so once you have the iframe open by itself, it could be difficult to remember which project it's actually from.

anyway, this minor "hack" might be a solution of sorts to what you're looking for. let me know if you have any questions about it and I'll see if I can help or explain things better.
That's fascinating. I'll play around a bit with it. Thank you.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can't really see that you could cause any irreversible problems but please do be careful. Fiddling with URLs can give unexpected results so tread very carefully. It is untested waters and the database is precious.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 11th, 2019, 7:00 am I can't really see that you could cause any irreversible problems but please do be careful. Fiddling with URLs can give unexpected results so tread very carefully. It is untested waters and the database is precious.

Anne
You're right. I think I'll leave off any experimentation for now. I'm far from an expert on anything to do with a computer. Anyway, things are working all right as they are for me.