COMPLETE [ESSAYS] Twentieth Century Negro Literature-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

mightyfelix wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm
mightyfelix wrote: April 28th, 2019, 12:03 pm Thanks, bhavya, for section 98. Notes for this section are:

Beginning of intro is cut off.
0:58 "Greenfield, Ind." This abbreviation stands for Indiana. Indianapolis was a reasonable guess, since it was just mentioned, but both cities are within the state of Indiana.
2:19 "St. Louis, Mo." St. Louis is in Missouri, not Montana. If you'd like, you may correct the pronunciation of St. Louis as well. It is not pronounced Louie, but Lewis. That is optional, however.
3:33 Longish pause. "The history of the black man's past in no wise serves .... to usurp the functions of present duties."
8:58 Repeated phrase: "...and instead encourage him to industry and correct living, and correct living and increase our efforts..."
9:09 Longish pause. "common condemnation because of the slothfulness .... and lawlessness of some of its members..."
15:23 Small stumble. Correcting this one is optional. "Politics has played an undue part in perpetuating prej- ...prejudices."
24:29 "We endured slavery 243 years..." This one is optional as well, but I think it would sound more natural to fully articulate this number: "two hundred forty-three"
26:47 Longish pause. "...and eventually land owners and a wealthy class of citizens .... of this country."
Thanks for the fixes on this one. Unfortunately, it looks like you overlooked two notes which were rather important. They are marked in red above.
Hi,

Here it is, corrected:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_098_culp_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

bhavya wrote: June 29th, 2019, 10:54 pm
mightyfelix wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm Thanks, bhavya, for section 98. Notes for this section are:

2:19 "St. Louis, Mo." St. Louis is in Missouri, not Montana. If you'd like, you may correct the pronunciation of St. Louis as well. It is not pronounced Louie, but Lewis. That is optional, however.
Hi,

Here it is, corrected:

I'm not sure what happened, Bhavya, but I'm still hearing the same errors. :hmm: I've cleared my history and tried on a different device, so it really seems like the same file is still there. Are you sure the upload completed?
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

mightyfelix wrote: June 30th, 2019, 4:01 pm
bhavya wrote: June 29th, 2019, 10:54 pm
mightyfelix wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm Thanks, bhavya, for section 98. Notes for this section are:

Hi,

Here it is, corrected:

I'm not sure what happened, Bhavya, but I'm still hearing the same errors. :hmm: I've cleared my history and tried on a different device, so it really seems like the same file is still there. Are you sure the upload completed?
Yes, let me try again.
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Happy Fourth of July weekend! :clap:

I just uploaded section 73: Topic 21, 2nd Paper, by Prof. W.H. Councill, PHD.

Link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_073_culp_128.mp3

Duration: 00:18:25

-Mmemari
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you Mari. I wasn't able to update this project today, but I will put your section in the MW tomorrow.

I also notice that I have several sections that should probably be orphaned. I'll start cleaning that up tomorrow as well.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I have orphaned four sections. I've PMed the reader of another two, to see if she's still working on them. The other outstanding sections were claimed by readers who've been active in this thread recently, so I assume you guys know that you've still got some more to do. :wink:
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Hello,

I just uploaded:

Section 72; topic 21, 1st paper by Rev. J. H. Anderson

Duration: 00:09:28

Link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_072_culp_128.mp3
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I could do Chapters 47, 48, 90 and 91
Russ Bruno
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is Section 71

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_071_culp_128kb.mp3 11:42

This was a particularly interesting chapter hearing of Kerr's work in Haiti where I spend several years doing medical work. Still a desperately needy place.

I have the remainder of my sections recorded, so will try to squeeze in some editing time.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, everyone. MW updated.

Also, it's been over a week and I haven't heard from the reader of sections 38 and 89, so those are now open again.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

And, here are two more sections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_081_culp_128kb.mp3 12:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/negroliterature_082_culp_128kb.mp3 14:55

I have the next one ready to edit, so should have it in soon.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Larry.

I'm sorry to say that the demands on my time have not decreased of late, but in fact the opposite, and there are still many sections I've not yet been able to PL. I know you guys have been waiting a long time on those PLs, and I really appreciate your patience, but I don't want to take advantage of it. So as much as I want to hear all of these great sections, I'm going to have to call for backup, to get this catalogued in a timely manner. Would anyone here like to volunteer to PL other reader(s) section(s), before I post in Listeners Wanted?
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

mightyfelix wrote: July 15th, 2019, 10:48 am Thank you, Larry.
I'm sorry to say that the demands on my time have not decreased of late, but in fact the opposite, and there are still many sections I've not yet been able to PL. I know you guys have been waiting a long time on those PLs, and I really appreciate your patience, but I don't want to take advantage of it. So as much as I want to hear all of these great sections, I'm going to have to call for backup, to get this catalogued in a timely manner. Would anyone here like to volunteer to PL other reader(s) section(s), before I post in Listeners Wanted?
Hi Devorah--I will try to begin PL'ing some sections as I am able to do so--it is such an interesting project!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi Russ--I listened to Sections 56 and 57, and I have a few notes for you--but most are quick fixes.

Section 56:
--At ~21:13 Stumble “co—to constitute” (I think that you can zoom in and easily snip out the stumble.)
--At ~22:03 Repeat “…and moisten and warm the soil”
--At ~22:25 Repeat “The planting of morals—of moral principles…”

Section 57:
--At ~1:19 Stumble “Her mother was—represents one of the…” (Again, I think that you can zoom in and just snip out that stumble.)
--At ~14:25 I hear “The dark picture of the Negro’s surroundings…” but it should be “The dark picture of the Negro’s shortcomings…”
--At ~18:16 Repeat “…that while the illiterate--illiterate Negro population”
--At ~18:59 through ~20:29 You have a lengthy repeat of nearly a couple of paragraphs:
“The young or post-bellum Negro is steadily improving morally. In the face of strong opposition, in his moral development, just as he does in mental, financial and civil growth, against all the opposing forces that would hinder his growth and relegate him to the lowest stratum of mankind, he is forcing his way up the stream. His spiritual and moral nature is beating under the animal nature which for so long a time held him as a slave. He now does right for right's sake, and loves the pure and good. He honors the women of his race and is raising her to nobler plains in his thoughts and life.
The Negro woman is asserting herself also and is building for herself a character that rests upon a foundation of personal purity. This she is doing not only for herself, but for after—for—after higher ideals…” (there are some stumbles at this point). You then go backwards in the text and begin again with the sentence “The young or post-bellum Negro…” So I would delete that first part from 18:59 through 20:29.
--Ending silence is about 20 seconds long—please cut the ending silence down to 5 seconds.

Upload the edited files, post the links here again along with the new track lengths, and I'll take another look at them. Let us know if you have any questions or need some assistance. :)

NOTE TO DEVORAH: I'll try to listen to a couple more sections tomorrow.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you so much, Lucretia. This is a huge help!