[COMPLETE] The History of Britain by Milton - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

One PL note for Section 6 @ 7:11 repeat “at Wibbandum”
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Fixed now (https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofbritain_3c_milton_128kb.mp3). The error was actually at 17:11.

Thanks,

Tom
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

chymocles wrote: July 9th, 2019, 9:45 am Fixed now (https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofbritain_3c_milton_128kb.mp3). The error was actually at 17:11.

Thanks,

Tom
Oh I am so sorry - I must have mistyped! I'll check this soon
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Section 6 PL OK :thumbs:
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks, LC! I am uploading the first of three parts to Book 4. I have handled quotation marks inconsistently in this section, and I want you to understand why. First, Milton uses quotation marks for both direct and indirect questions, as we do not, but the reason he does so is that he wants his readers to know that the main words are those of the speaker in indirect quotations. We would record an indirect quotation thus: "To the intruder the enraged husband suggested that he get out of the house before the police arrived." For direct quotation we would write, "To the intruder the enraged husband said, 'I suggest that you get out of my house before the police arrive.'" Milton would have written the first sentence this way: "To the intruder the enraged husband 'suggested that he get out of the house before the police arrived.'" When it seems to matter, therefore, I have indicated quotation marks, but I omit them when (even in direct quotation form) the listener can easily understand that the words are reported as another's and not the author's own. I try to reduce clutter. The footnotes of dates are already pretty intrusive.

The file is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofbritain_4a_milton_128kb.mp3.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I have uploaded the second part of Book 4, and I would be grateful for your advice about p. 149. It reads as follows: ". . . he [Kenred], reigning two years, left Osric in his room. In whose seventh year, if Beda calculate right, Victred, king of Kent, deceased, having reigned thirty-four years, and some part of them with Suebbard, as Beda testifies." You will notice the double vertical line signifying a footnote before "In whose seventh year." Milton very often—in fact, habitually—places his date-notes before rather than after a reference to an event, unlike modern usage, but here it appears to refer not to the seventh year of Osric's reign but rather to Kenred's death and the beginning of Osric's reign, which occurs just before the note signal, given what follows and what other time references there are. If you think I have read the note at the wrong point and can convince me, I am willing to change it.

You will find the file here: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofbritain_4b_milton_128kb.mp3.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

chymocles wrote: July 12th, 2019, 11:59 am I have uploaded the second part of Book 4, and I would be grateful for your advice about p. 149. It reads as follows: ". . . he [Kenred], reigning two years, left Osric in his room. In whose seventh year, if Beda calculate right, Victred, king of Kent, deceased, having reigned thirty-four years, and some part of them with Suebbard, as Beda testifies." You will notice the double vertical line signifying a footnote before "In whose seventh year." Milton very often—in fact, habitually—places his date-notes before rather than after a reference to an event, unlike modern usage, but here it appears to refer not to the seventh year of Osric's reign but rather to Kenred's death and the beginning of Osric's reign, which occurs just before the note signal, given what follows and what other time references there are. If you think I have read the note at the wrong point and can convince me, I am willing to change it.

You will find the file here: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofbritain_4b_milton_128kb.mp3.
I think your interpretation of the text is perfectly reasonable - I will listen to the whole recording (and the one for 4a) as soon as possible :D
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Yes, the main thing is that a listener needs to get some sense of which words belong to the narrator and which to the characters, whether or not the reader says "quote" and "unquote." A lecturer who can be seen by the audience often makes a double-hand gesture to indicate quotation marks.

Well, now the last part of Book 4 has been added: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofbritain_4c_milton_128kb.mp3. Have fun.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

This is a note to Availle. I will need a few more sections. I added a couple, but when I tried to indicate the reader, I got an error message saying that the reader's e-mail address was not found. Yet there was no place to indicate an e-mail address, only a website, which I did not care to add. If you tell me how to add the reader's identity, I can do it myself.

Thanks,

Tom
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That's weird - certainly an error I never had before.

When I entered your name from the dropdown, there was no problem.

Edit: I think I know what went wrong. You need to click "Assign reader sections", not the "add new reader" button when adding your name to the new sections. And you'll need to use your forum name, chymocles. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Section 7 PL OK :thumbs:
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Section 8 PL OK :thumbs:
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Chapter 9 PL OK :thumbs:
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Book 5 Part 1 PL OK :thumbs:

I think you accidentally reuploaded Book 5 Part 1 as well under the name of Book 5 Part 2 because they are the same recording?