[SOLO] 20 Short Science Fiction Stories by Various - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kirk202

Post by kirk202 »

20 Short Science Fiction Stories by Various .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/20-short-science-fiction-stories-by-various/
Science fiction (sometimes called Sci-Fi or simply SF) is a genre of speculative fiction that has been called the "literature of ideas". It typically deals with imaginative and futuristic concepts such as advanced science and technology, time travel, parallel universes, fictional worlds, space exploration, and extraterrestrial life. It often explores the potential consequences of scientific innovations.
Science fiction, whose roots go back to ancient times, is related to fantasy, horror, and superhero fiction, and includes many subgenres. However its exact definition has long been disputed among authors, critics, and scholars.
Science fiction literature, film, television, and other media have become popular and influential over much of the world. Besides providing entertainment, it can also criticize present-day society, and is often said to generate a "sense of wonder". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction
  • Text source (only read from this text!): Links to text in MW Metadata
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: science fiction, fantasy, sf

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] 20 Short Science Fiction Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[story title] by [author]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of 20 Short Science Fiction Stories by Various. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[story title] by [author]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of 20 Short Science Fiction Stories by Various. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename sf20stories_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sf20stories_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      Please use your BC/DPL login.
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by kirk202 on July 10th, 2019, 8:23 am, edited 10 times in total.
Kirk
kirk202

Post by kirk202 »

dlolso21 is willing to MC and cherylstewart is willing to PL this project.
Kirk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Confused: you're going to read all 20 stories yourself? (You have one source in the template, but it's only one story.)

I don't think I've ever heard of a Sci-Fi collection being done as a solo. I suppose there's no rule against it, though. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kirk202

Post by kirk202 »

Yes, but the template required a link. I'll make an edit and remove it. I'll put the text links in the MW. Thanks.
Kirk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah, yes. Come to think of it, I recall that now (that a text is required).

Carry on...
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Not to interfere, but there is already an 065, and 066 is in progress - this would need to be 067 I believe.
https://librivox.org/short-science-fiction-collection-065-by-various/
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
kirk202

Post by kirk202 »

Thanks Maria, I'll make the change.
Kirk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I suppose this is a bit off subject, but I'd like to know how broad my choices are.

Is the 'science fiction' from before 1923 been mostly recorded? We are mostly choosing from magazine published work that has no known copyright owner?
kirk202

Post by kirk202 »

It's confusing. Most of the short SF stories were published in SF magazines in the mid 50's to 60's and I don't believe they were under copyright at the time, but don't know for sure. I find almost everything I narrate here on Gutenberg.org, if they have it listed it's pretty safe that the work isn't under copyright.
Kirk
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

KevinS wrote: July 9th, 2019, 10:25 am I suppose this is a bit off subject, but I'd like to know how broad my choices are.

Is the 'science fiction' from before 1923 been mostly recorded? We are mostly choosing from magazine published work that has no known copyright owner?
Kevin,

This is a solo project. Kirk intends to read all 20 stories in this on himself.

David O
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

MW is started. Moving this to Going Solo to avoid confusion.
kirk202

Post by kirk202 »

:thumbs:
Kirk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

dlolso21 wrote: July 9th, 2019, 10:33 am
KevinS wrote: July 9th, 2019, 10:25 am I suppose this is a bit off subject, but I'd like to know how broad my choices are.

Kevin,

This is a solo project. Kirk intends to read all 20 stories in this on himself.

David O
Ohhhhhh! I see. I will look for a group project and ask my question there.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Frankly, I don't think this should be considered the 67th SSFC. It could be put together like BT has often done as some sort of anthology. You seem to know which stories you are doing so you should be able to put some summary together for them and name it. Calling this the ssf067 will set a precedent for the collection being shanghaied anytime someone wants to do this sort of thing. You can submit as many stories to the collection as you want. If you want it to all be you, then you could start your own named collection. That way if you continue to do this you can number them and anyone looking for your scifi recordings will be able to find them instead of coming across all the other SSFCs that are by a group of readers.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

alg1001 wrote: July 9th, 2019, 5:16 pm Frankly, I don't think this should be considered the 67th SSFC. It could be put together like BT has often done as some sort of anthology. You seem to know which stories you are doing so you should be able to put some summary together for them and name it. Calling this the ssf067 will set a precedent for the collection being shanghaied anytime someone wants to do this sort of thing. You can submit as many stories to the collection as you want. If you want it to all be you, then you could start your own named collection. That way if you continue to do this you can number them and anyone looking for your scifi recordings will be able to find them instead of coming across all the other SSFCs that are by a group of readers.
Amy,

The original summary said "20 SF stories" so I suggested that Kirk look at yours Short SF Collection summary as an example.

David O