[NOT LV] Volunteer to read stories aloud to marginalised communities

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Rob19

Post by Rob19 »

If you’d like a simple way to volunteer remotely, that benefits people the world over as well as yourself then look no further!

We’re Audrey, a community of readers and listeners who read stories aloud together. Shared stories bring us together and the act of reading aloud brings words to life.

We’re now aiming to bring the magic of reading aloud to marginalised communities in need of some uplifting soul connection that inspires, and unites. With this in mind we’ve created the Audrey Phone. The Audrey Phone allows isolated people to listen to a short story simply by pressing a button. The story is read aloud in real-time by a volunteer just like you.

The time commitment is small, but the difference to someone’s day, enormous.

Audrey Phones are currently placed in temporary accommodation for refugees in Calais, with Traveller communities in the UK, and we’re looking to send them further afield to hospitals and sheltered accommodation.

Not only will you be benefiting the listener, giving them vital human connection and care, there are numerous emotional and physical health benefits for you as a reader. Reading aloud is a soulful and uplifting experience!

If spending as little as 5 minutes a week reading a short story to soothe a stranger sounds like your cup of tea then please get in touch at rob@readwithaudrey.com. All it takes is a simple app download and a willingness to read.

For an image see here
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Interesting!

Is it two-way communication?

If it's just one-way (the reader speaks, the listener listens), then would it be simpler to use recordings, such as ours here at LV?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Rob19

Post by Rob19 »

Thanks for your interest. Yes, it's v much a two-way communication :)

Usually each person briefly shares a friendly intro before the story begins, and they chat afterwards - often about something connected to the story that's been read.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm sorry, I removed your image, it was quite huge and we prefer to keep our forums free from images of all size (for people who have slow connections and all).

Anyway, sounds a worthy thing to do - good luck with it! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Rob19

Post by Rob19 »

That's completely fine. I totally understand - it did come out way larger than I expected :)
Thanks for your good wishes.
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

That sounds really fun! I just signed up on your website
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]