Yay - thank you!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Hi Tricia,
I like the Catechism of Familiar Things in your suggestion list.
Looks like just one or a few chapters will be plenty long enough...lots of:
"What is this?" ... "It is this."
"What is that?" ... "It is that."
"Is it really?" ... "Yes, indeed."
...LJB 😴
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

First part of Rules of the Road is PL OK. And yes, you read it in such a way that I need to get up and walk around a bit. LOL!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Rules of the Road, part 2 -

I think the first part of this recording is a repeat of the previous section. I was having deja vu. :shock: Quick spot check of more of it, and I am more sure of this.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

TriciaG wrote: July 8th, 2019, 9:47 am Rules of the Road, part 2 -

I think the first part of this recording is a repeat of the previous section. I was having deja vu. :shock: Quick spot check of more of it, and I am more sure of this.
Tricia, I know what you mean about deja vu. There is a good-sized section of the text that is very nearly a repeat of the previous section.

On pg 8 of the pdf, it begins for the first time under the heading "Rules of the Road at Sea Adopted by all Important Maritime Nations". This section contains 26 provisions labelled "Article 1" through "Article 26".

This section ends on pg 12 of the pdf, and is immediately followed by a section under the heading "Rules of the Road in Harbors, Rivers, and Inland Waters, etc". This section contains 24 provisions, labelled "Rule 1" through "Rule 24", and they are in most cases a word-for-word repeat of the earlier section, with very few changes.

This repeated section ends on p.16 of the pdf, and the rest of the text is different than anything before.

I wished I could just skip over the repeated section entirely, because then I would have been able to fit the entire reading into a standard length under an hour long. But I thought LV had a rule that we had to read everything as printed, without omitting anything, even though in this case this meant re-reading most of what I'd already read.

If LV rules are strict about reading everything exactly as written, then I guess there's nothing we can do. On the other hand, if you would allow me to remove the repeated part, I'd be delighted to do that! Then we'd have a recording of less than an hour -- and the listener wouldn't assume that I'd carelessly read the same thing twice!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Would reading from a cookbook be too interesting for some to be calming? I could read it in a soothing monotone.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Maria -

Had I looked at the text, I guess I would have seen that, and then you wouldn't have had to type the explanation. :roll:

Well, people have submitted "selections from" or "Part of" in this collection, so you could omit parts of it. On the other hand, I'm okay with two sections that have a lot of the same information. I'm hoping people would be so far asleep that if they go to the next section, it wouldn't be noticed anyway. ;) Or it would be on another night, so they wouldn't be listening back to back.

It's up to you. You could do "Rules of the Road at Sea, and Rules and Regulations for Pilots." Or just keep both sections.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: July 8th, 2019, 3:56 pm Would reading from a cookbook be too interesting for some to be calming? I could read it in a soothing monotone.
Well, like the intro says, what is really interesting to some is boredom incarnate for others. Some of these sections I do find interesting. :) I think your cookbook would make a good text for this project!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: July 8th, 2019, 4:24 pm
KevinS wrote: July 8th, 2019, 3:56 pm Would reading from a cookbook be too interesting for some to be calming? I could read it in a soothing monotone.
Well, like the intro says, what is really interesting to some is boredom incarnate for others. Some of these sections I do find interesting. :) I think your cookbook would make a good text for this project!
I thought I would do bread and rolls.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

TriciaG wrote: July 8th, 2019, 4:22 pmHad I looked at the text, I guess I would have seen that, and then you wouldn't have had to type the explanation. :roll:

Well, people have submitted "selections from" or "Part of" in this collection, so you could omit parts of it. On the other hand, I'm okay with two sections that have a lot of the same information. I'm hoping people would be so far asleep that if they go to the next section, it wouldn't be noticed anyway. ;) Or it would be on another night, so they wouldn't be listening back to back.

It's up to you. You could do "Rules of the Road at Sea, and Rules and Regulations for Pilots." Or just keep both sections.
Okay, with your permission, I decided to cut out the repetitious section.

I don't want you to have to PL the entire thing again, though.
Please check my Intro and Outro, to make sure I've removed any indications of "part 1" and "part 2".

And if you don't mind, would you please proof-listen to about a minute on either side of the 36-minute mark, where the two sections joined up, to assure that I eliminated the Intro/Outro stuff from each end of the join.
With the repeat now removed, the first part should end with "...and that this act shall take effect and be in force from and after the first day of September, anno Domini eighteen hundred and eighty-four, approved March 3, 1885", and it should then segue smoothly right into "Rules and Regulations for the Government of Pilots of Steamers..." without anything in between.

So here's the info all over again:
• Name of your story -- Rules of the Road at Sea
• Author -- U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (1895 edition)
• Source from which you read -- https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100519619
• The link you copied from the uploader to your file -- https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins004_rulesofroadatsea_usgeodeticsurvey_128kb.mp3
• Length in minutes:seconds of your file -- 59:13 -- (Yay! It comes in under one hour!)

Sorry for causing you the extra work. Thanks for your help and patience!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No worries! I'm glad we could work it out to your satisfaction. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Rules of the Road at Sea, Revised: PL OK!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

TriciaG wrote: July 9th, 2019, 8:07 am Rules of the Road at Sea, Revised: PL OK!
Thank you, Tricia!
Actually, my guy Brian just informed me that this would not be likely to put him to sleep, but rather to keep him awake with great interest. But then, he used to teach boating courses for the Coast Guard, so he is not your typical listener. A listener like me would certainly be quickly snoring. [zzzz...]
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

LOL! Yep! "Obviously, soporific dullness is in the ear of the listener, and what's Tedium Incarnate to one person will be another person's Passion and Delight." ;)