COMPLETE[DR]DR Scene and Story Collection, Volume 002 by Various - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

BetsyWalker wrote: July 7th, 2019, 6:45 am Has the Narrator of "The Diamond Necklace" been assigned? I'm a little confused as I see that the story's title has been assigned. Will that person be reading the Narrator? If not and if the Narrator is still Open, I'd like to read it.

Betsy
Hi Betsy! I am the BC of that play so I thought I'd jump in and explain. You can definitely read the Narrator. When I offered that story, I did not plan to read that role, so I left it open for claims. However, if every other part had been assigned and that was holding the story up, I would jump in and read it. But you have offered to read it, so have fun doing so!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Thanks Elizabby,

That's good to know - I'll see if I can download Betsy's Duchess, just to check that I get it right -
but I think waiting until all parts are available before fiinal edit is the better option.

Best Wishes for your recovery!
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Oh Dear!

My idiocy is showing again!

Here is what I can see in the MW on page 1.

74 Duchess (a dog) BetsyWalker 7:05 Listen PL OK

I've scrolled up and down several times looking for 'Link' - am I looking in the right place?
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

johnnyenglish wrote: July 7th, 2019, 8:47 am Oh Dear!

My idiocy is showing again!

Here is what I can see in the MW on page 1.

74 Duchess (a dog) BetsyWalker 7:05 Listen PL OK

I've scrolled up and down several times looking for 'Link' - am I looking in the right place?
The underlined blue "Listen" in that line is the link. (When you put your cursor over it you should see the file name show in the lower left corner of your browser window - if you are using Firefox anyway.) I can right click on the "Listen" to download and "save file as" some-name-of-my-choice on my computer.

Since our usual practice at Librivox is to have people wait until the entire project is cataloged before downloading, we don't expect people to be doing this other than the DPL to proof listen. Here in a dramatic work project, other people may need to access an individual file (editing, rhythm matching, timing comparisons, whatever) and they are then allowed to download.

Thanks, Todd
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Thanks Todd!

That worked a treat! :wink:
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: July 7th, 2019, 7:42 am Hi Betsy! I am the BC of that play so I thought I'd jump in and explain. You can definitely read the Narrator. When I offered that story, I did not plan to read that role, so I left it open for claims. However, if every other part had been assigned and that was holding the story up, I would jump in and read it. But you have offered to read it, so have fun doing so!
Thank you! I will enjoy this a lot. It's the first time I've taken the part of a Narrator. Do I say "Narrator read by Betsy Walker" before I read "The Diamond Necklace By Guy de Maupassant...." or after that intro? In the script it looks like you've added everything I need to say and the file naming instructions are clear to me, too. Do you have any advice about Narration that I might not intuitively know?

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
lymiewithpurpose

BetsyWalker wrote: July 7th, 2019, 11:35 am
lymiewithpurpose wrote: July 7th, 2019, 7:42 am Hi Betsy! I am the BC of that play so I thought I'd jump in and explain. You can definitely read the Narrator. When I offered that story, I did not plan to read that role, so I left it open for claims. However, if every other part had been assigned and that was holding the story up, I would jump in and read it. But you have offered to read it, so have fun doing so!
Thank you! I will enjoy this a lot. It's the first time I've taken the part of a Narrator. In the script it looks like you've added everything I need to say and the file naming instructions are clear to me, too. Do you have any advice about Narration that I might not intuitively know?

Betsy
First of all, have fun with it. Don’t be hestitant to give your narrator a personality if you’d like (of course you don’t need to if you don’t want to). Then, just like any other dramatic part, make sure to give pause when characters are talking. The hardest part for me narrating dramatic readings are making the interjections (such as ‘he said’) natural sounding. What I usually do is record the entire sentence, then just cut out the characters words. Overall, if you just try to enjoy it it will show!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

BetsyWalker wrote: July 7th, 2019, 11:35 am Do I say "Narrator read by Betsy Walker" before I read "The Diamond Necklace By Guy de Maupassant...." or after that intro?
Ah, sorry just saw this section. When I narrate I usually put my voice credit at the beginning so the editor can easily find it and rearrange it as needed. For me, I don't mind as much as long as it gets in there somewhere.
Campbell
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Okay - here's my upload of the Narrator for "The Diamond Necklace". I thoroughly enjoyed being the Narrator! There is one small section that I had to re-record and insert. I had a very hard time getting the tone the same. I am so sorry. Please let me know if it's a problem and I'll try again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drsceneandstoryvol002_thediamondnecklace_demaupassant_128kb.mp3
Duration: 16:51

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
lymiewithpurpose

BetsyWalker wrote: July 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm Okay - here's my upload of the Narrator for "The Diamond Necklace". I thoroughly enjoyed being the Narrator! There is one small section that I had to re-record and insert. I had a very hard time getting the tone the same. I am so sorry. Please let me know if it's a problem and I'll try again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drsceneandstoryvol002_thediamondnecklace_demaupassant_128kb.mp3
Duration: 16:51

Betsy
It is PL OK, nice work. Hope you enjoyed it, you were wonderfully expressive. I know what section you are talking about, I think it's OK.
Campbell
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: July 7th, 2019, 4:53 pm
It is PL OK, nice work. Hope you enjoyed it, you were wonderfully expressive. I know what section you are talking about, I think it's OK.
Very glad to hear that you think it won't be a problem. I hate it when that happens, though. I am thinking that I may need to set up a small sound-proofed "recording box". I saw one somewhere on one of these LibriVox introductory videos when I started participating. I think it might really help with sound quality. Thanks! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW updated.

Thanks, Todd
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

johnnyenglish wrote: July 4th, 2019, 11:15 am Hokely Dokely!

Let's try this again!!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/anunexpectedresult_jackackland_roe_128kb.mp3

Run time 15:18 - according to 'Checker'

I really hope that this works! (I do NOT want to listen to myself reading this again! :lol: )
Todd, this is PL OK in case you need it for the MW. But I do have it downloaded already.
April
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

Elizabby wrote: May 28th, 2019, 2:18 pm Hi Todd! I’m here to help with managing the MW as co-BC and I can do some PLing as well if that’s needed.

I would also like to offer a Sherlock Holmes short story - The Adventure of the Dying Detective. I’ll have to script prep it though, so that will take me a few days.

Link is here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2347
Hi Beth,

I don't know if anyone has caught this yet, but there is one line on page 8 of the Sherlock Holmes script that is color coded for me, but should actually be Dr. Watson:

"It was on account of your special knowledge that Mr. Holmes desired to see you. He has a high opinion
of you and thought that you were the one man in London who could help him."

I've finished recording my section, now I need to edit... (and I did quite a few takes, some more mean and nasty than others...). :twisted: