[COMPLETE] Gems of Chinese Verse - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Gems of Chinese Verse by Various ( - ). Translated by W. J. B. Fletcher (1879 - 1933)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/gems-of-chinese-verse-by-various/
Translations of various Chinese poets' work. (KevinS)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/gemsofchinesever00fletiala/page/n7
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
      "[Poem title], by [author], translated by W. J. B. Fletcher. Read for LibriVox.org (optional: by [your name])." [/i]

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Gems of Chinese Verse, by Various. Translated by W. J. B. Fletcher."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    gemsofchineseverse_###_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the 3-digit section number (e.g. gemsofchineseverse_101_various_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by KevinS on September 15th, 2019, 10:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I hope you'll bear with me as I try to get this correct.

Will the full LibriVox disclaimer be required for each section? Most of the poems are rather short.

I would like the reader to identify the author along with the poem's title. Can that be made clear in the MW?

This looks like an ambitious project---and I suppose it is---but I think poetry is popular here and, again, the poems are short. I think we can get this done quickly.

I will read the preface, introduction, and translator's poem in one section which I think we would number zero.

I will also type in the poem titles before we get started to make it easy for readers to claim what they wish. (I think I have counted the number of sections correctly, but adding the titles will confirm my counting. Or should I guarantee this before we do anything more?)

Thanking all in advance. This I think will be a great addition to our global interest.

Oh, and if interest is lacking or lags, I will commit to finish the project myself.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

You as the BC can always add more sections when you want and request your MC to delete sections so it’s not a super big deal if you miscounted. I think short poems can use the abbreviated disclaimer, but an MC probably knows the more specific rules. Whenever the MW is up with the titles, I’ll probably hop back over and claim a few :D
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

elsieselwyn wrote: July 5th, 2019, 3:55 pm You as the BC can always add more sections when you want and request your MC to delete sections so it’s not a super big deal if you miscounted. I think short poems can use the abbreviated disclaimer, but an MC probably knows the more specific rules. Whenever the MW is up with the titles, I’ll probably hop back over and claim a few :D
Thank you! That's so nice of you!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

THIS LIST NOW PROOFED. Some of the orthography has been simplified.

POEMS BY

Li Po

The Old Pavilion
Return with Spring
Delights of the Palace
On the Frontier (1)
On the Frontier (2)
Absence
The Wife's Lament
The Crows That Caw by Night
Our Parting at Kinling Inn
Chang Liang
The Feast of Life
Ts'ung Shan
Coming Down from Chung-nan
Hsi Shih's Wedding
The Huang Ho Lou
The Moon Shines Everywhere
The Boating Party
Quitting Poti at Dawn
Kinling
Mr. Yung's Secluded Retreat
The Fallen Terrace
Tung Shan Cave
The Lover of Scenery
Age's Rime
Steps of Disappointment
Cattle Isle
The Northern Hall
The Water Pavilion
Lost!
To Ho Chien
The Autumn Fan
A Fruitless Visit to the Priest of the Tai Tien
A River Melody
The Return to Wen Chuan
To Have Loved and Lost
Soft Stillness and the Night Become the Touches of Sweet Harmony

POEMS BY Tu Fu

The Reinforcements
To Wei Pa --- of That Ilk
Hsi Shih
Ch'in Chou
Unable to Visit Judge Wang Owing to Rain
The Runners of Shin Hao (An incident of civil war)
The Lost Beauty
A Farewell
The Chariots Go Forth to War
The River's Brim
Homesickness
T'ai Shan
Duke Wu's Temple
The Music of the Spheres
Thoughts of Home
The Crescent Moon
To the Moon
The Tatar Horse
Pounding the Clothes
The Harvest Moon (15th of 8th moon)
The Waning Moon (16th of 8th moon)
The Fading Moon (17th of 8th moon)
The Setting Sun
The Pillar of the South
A Boating Party
An Autumn View
Yo-yang Tower
Snow at Changsha
A Farewell Ode
The Passing Shower
The Kindly Rain
The Geese Return
Dawn
My Reflection by Night
The Pair of Swallows
The Hall of Harps
The Temple to Yu
The Imperial Tombs
The Mocking Bird
Thinking of My Brothers on a Moonlight Night
The Bride's Lament
Chiang Tsun
The Firefly
Yu Hwa Gung
The Milky Way

POEMS BY VARIOUS AUTHORS

Wang Wei

Flower Love
Life's Road
To-day
A Silent Night
The Form of the Deer
The Moon
The Hunt
Hsiang Chi Temple
Chung-nan Hill
My Villa at Chung-nan
So Farewell. And if for Ever, Still for ever Fare Ye Well
Late Summer
A Mountain Retreat

Meng Hao-jan

Waiting
Springtide Dreams
Crossing the Siang at Night

Ch'iu Wei

On Jun Chou City Wall
The Pear Tree by the Side Door

Ch'en Tse-ang

Pereunt Etiain Ruinse
Evening
Chiu-hua Kuan in Spring

Po Chu-i

The Grass
A Mist Sketch
The Pond

Shen Ch'uan-ch'i

A Night on the Chi Pan Hills
The Old Retired Official
The Gorges of the Yangtze

Wang Ch'ang-ling

In the Spring

Chang Chiu-ling

Longing
The Solitary
The Waterfall

Ts'en Ts'an

Carpe Horas
Desolation
To Tu Fu

Wen Ting-hsun

Recollection
Sprigs of Willow (An allusion)

Chang Chi

Anchored by Night
The Retort Courteous

Ssu K'ung-shu

A Village Scene

Hsieh Neng

The Song of the Willow Flowers
The Falling Leaf

Chang Jo-hsu

Moon Thoughts

Ts'ui Tao-jung

Spring in the Harem

Po Hsing-chien

Whence Comes the Spring?

Wang Ch'ang-ling

The Neglected Beauty

Meng Hsiao

Leave Me Not

Ting Hsien-chih

An Invitation

Li Shang-yin

Hope

Chang Chung-sur

The Spring

Tu Shen-yen

The Autumn Moon

Wei Ch'eng-ch'ing

Absence
Eheu Fugaces

Liu Chang-ch'ing

Piao Mu's Tomb
A Winter Scene

Wang Chien

The Autumn Festival
The Ancient Palace

Lou Ying

Hsi Shih's Washing Stone

Chang Hsu

Peach Flower Cave

Hsu Chun

Disappointment

Tseu Kuo-fu

Fallax Puer

Yang Shih-ngo

The Tower

Tu Mu

Anchored at Night

Chao Ku

Regrets

Liu Ting-ch'i

The Brazen Tower

Wang Piao

Your Garden Flower (A Serenade)

Ch'ien Ch'i

An Autumn Night

Kao Shih

Moon Dream
None Shall Be Alone in His Appointed Times

Chu Kuang-i

Rustic Felicity

Wu Pi

The Amazon Corps

Tu Ku-yuan
The Pearl (Memoriam)

Lo Pin-wang

The Waters of E

Ho Chih-chang

Content

Liao Tsung-yuan

The Fisherman

Wang Chi

The Debauch

Wang Ch'ang-ling

Beauty in Disgrace
Longing

Chia Chih

The Pains of Love
The Fallen Garden

Ch'ang Chien

Parting
The Hall of Silence

Wang Chih-huan

In Mongolia

Li I

The Flute That Wails by Night
Yan Kuei-fei in Disgrace

Ssu Ma Li

The Dullness of the Harem

Liu Yu-hsi

The Ruined City
Tempus Eclax
The Wind of Autumn

Wang Chih-huan

The Stork Tower

Li Tuan

Desire

Tsu Yung

Snow on Chung-nan Hills
Su's Pleasaunce

T'ao Han

Tien Chu Temple

Sung Chih-wen

The Maid I Met on Kuei-yang Bridge

Ts'ui Hao

The Huan Ho Lou

Yu Liang-shih

The Hills of Spring

Chang Chun

The Autumn Seen from Yoyang Tower

Han Wu

A Ruin

Anonymous

A Lover's Dream

Author Unknown

Lenore
Last edited by KevinS on July 6th, 2019, 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, Kevin!

This really is an ambitious project.
Just setting up the MW will be a chore.
One suggestion for you to consider is to combine some of the shorter poems that are going to run under a minute. There are pros and cons, and I've done it both ways.

If you want the author's name read, just add that in the reading instructions, such as:
" At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
"[Poem title], by [author] read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that,"

While poetry projects do have a following, some might be put off by the Chinese names. There are some pronunciation guides given in the book, but it still may be a barrier to some. And the Archive text can be an obstacle
to some.

But, none of this means you can't do it, but be prepared for the long haul.
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: July 5th, 2019, 10:25 pm Hi, Kevin!

This really is an ambitious project.
Just setting up the MW will be a chore.
One suggestion for you to consider is to combine some of the shorter poems that are going to run under a minute. There are pros and cons, and I've done it both ways.

If you want the author's name read, just add that in the reading instructions, such as:
" At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
"[Poem title], by [author] read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that,"

While poetry projects do have a following, some might be put off by the Chinese names. There are some pronunciation guides given in the book, but it still may be a barrier to some. And the Archive text can be an obstacle
to some.

But, none of this means you can't do it, but be prepared for the long haul.
Thank you for the advice. It is much, much appreciated.

I've been moved by the surface simplicity of these older Chinese poems since I was seventeen, when I first was introduced to them. Deep feeling exists beneath what appears so calm and orderly.

I'll continue to think about the organization of the material.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Not for you specifically but for everyone - organising projects is critical for a project, so it's really better to do most of it before posting a new project. People seem to like to believe the BC knows what is going on :D
Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 6th, 2019, 7:01 pm Not for you specificly but for everyone - organising projects is critical for a project , so it's really better to do most of it before posting a new project. People seem to like to believe the BC knows what is going on :D
Anne
Are you suggesting that I not take silverquill's advice?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That is not what I said.
Larry's advice is good, he has done similar projects and as all single files must have the intro and outro, if you read them singly you would probably have less poetry than housekeeping stuff. But you need to decide that before posting. It is your project. If you now change it then from an MCs point of view you have created 180 odd sections which the MC will need to remove singly by hand. From a potential readers point of view, they may look at it, decide that arrangement won't work and never return . So if how you posted it is how you want it that is fine, but if it isn't, discuss it before posting

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: July 6th, 2019, 8:00 pm That is not what I said.
Larry's advice is good, he has done similar projects and as all single files must have the intro and outro, if you read them singly you would probably have less poetry than housekeeping stuff. But you need to decide that before posting. It is your project. If you now change it then from an MCs point of view you have created 180 odd sections which the MC will need to remove singly by hand. From a potential readers point of view they may look at it, decide that arrangement won't work and never return. So if how you posted it is how you want it that is fine, but if it isn't, discuss it before posting

Anne
I wish I had the experience to know what needs discussion or not. Instead, I try to make contributions. I thought what I presented was reasonable. I was then introduced to a kind soul's advice which I shall take to heart. I shall take your advice to heart as well, but it will be difficult for me to know what I do not know.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We have a forum called "Book Suggestions". This is the place to hammer out project details and ask for advice and suggestions.

The "New Project Launch Pad" is meant, as the name should suggest, for new projects that are ready to launch.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Availle wrote: July 7th, 2019, 2:46 am We have a forum called "Book Suggestions". This is the place to hammer out project details and ask for advice and suggestions.

The "New Project Launch Pad" is meant, as the name should suggest, for new projects that are ready to launch.
Again, the project was ready to roll. silverquill stepped in with helpful advice and I was not about to ignore him. He was being helpful while others, apparently, would prefer to be judgmental and chiding.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I am deeply sorry you don't find my suggestion as helpful as Larry's.
Can't win them all, can I? :D

At least it's good to know that you're not looking for an MC since you
KevinS wrote: July 6th, 2019, 3:20 am continue to think about the organization of the material.
Just let us know when you're done. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Availle wrote: July 7th, 2019, 5:21 am I am deeply sorry you don't find my suggestion as helpful as Larry's.
Can't win them all, can I? :D

At least it's good to know that you're not looking for an MC since you
KevinS wrote: July 6th, 2019, 3:20 am continue to think about the organization of the material.
Just let us know when you're done. :D
I don't really understand your advice. Should I ignore Larry? Do you agree with him? Should I have told him, 'No, thank you.'?