[COMPLETE] The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 10 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

I hope I'd have picked up on it if Elsie's first submission hadn't been mono. :-) I'll spot PL when I get a free moment, probably lunchtime.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

TriciaG wrote: June 20th, 2019, 5:50 pm
note: I just realized that somehow I managed to record this accidentally in mono and not stereo :roll: . I don't think I can convert it from one to the other. If you want me to rerecord, I can.
Umm... our recordings are supposed to be in mono.

EDIT: If you meant this the other way around, you can make stereo into mono pretty easily. Let me know if you need instructions.
Edit: nevermind, adressed below. Many apologies for the confusion :oops:
Last edited by elsieselwyn on June 21st, 2019, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Foon wrote: June 21st, 2019, 2:17 am
elsieselwyn wrote: June 20th, 2019, 5:39 pm So here is Section 26 for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_26_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (36:00)

note: I just realized that somehow I managed to record this accidentally in mono and not stereo :roll: . I don't think I can convert it from one to the other. If you want me to rerecord, I can.
Thank you Elsie!
I see Tricia has already answered you regarding mono/stereo; just to be clear, did you only redo the corrections? Or did you rerecord the whole section? :hmm:
I just redid the corrections.
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Hi Elsie...

Thank you for making all those changes. Having spot-checked them, there are still a couple of points outstanding.

24:45 - Suetonius, cap. Iii - I think Iii probably refers to three rather than one-two.

24:58 - xi c. 13 - I clearly noted the time of this incorrectly and now can't find it! Sigh. Sorry about that - you can't get the quality of PLs these days...
elsieselwyn wrote: June 20th, 2019, 5:39 pm note: I just realized that somehow I managed to record this accidentally in mono and not stereo :roll: . I don't think I can convert it from one to the other.
In fact, it's the other way around - the file that you've uploaded is stereo but we need it to be mono. If you're using Audacity, it's easy to convert (at least in this direction - the other way round is a little more involved). First, select the track you want to convert from stereo to mono. There are many ways to do this, but I find the easiest is to click in the grey information box at the left of the track.. Next, click on the Tracks menu at the top of the screen, hover the mouse over the Mix option and you'll see a menu item to Mix Stereo Down to Mono. Click on that and the job's a good 'un.

Well, almost. While the track is still selected, click on Effect then Amplify, type 2.4 into the top box marked Amplification then click on OK. This will bring your section to the about same volume as the other sections so that a listener won't need to adjust their headphones from one track to the next.

Cheers,
Paul
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Anyway, sorry for the confusion everyone! Sometimes I can't read apparently and Checker was telling me it was in stereo (though I don't know how I did that). Well, here is the new audio in mono with even the most recent PL notes corrected:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_26_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (36:00)

P.S: the PL note that doesn't have the right time stamp is at 28:05 and I believe I corrected it
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've had recordings mysteriously become stereo. I think it happens when I accidentally bump that left/right slider to the left of the wave form. Because the left/right channels are then not equal, it thinks I want them separated, so it exports it as stereo. Perhaps that's what happened to you. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Thanks, Elsie. Everything spot PLs fine now. Thanks for your patience in going round the loop.

Cheers,
Paul
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you both!
Only a few sections left, the end is in sight! :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you Elsie!! :thumbs:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 27

Well done, Elsie. Another tough passage, both in the Latin asides but also in the subject matter. I was blushing just listening to it!

I've got two small suggested corrections:

1:19 Read "BC 529", text says "BC 524"

9:03 "v. v." In Biblical citations, this stands for "verses" rather than "5 5". Some bright spark in the Middle Ages decided that if "v." represented "verse" then clearly "v.v." or, more often, "vv." was the way to pluralise it.

It may be a day or so till I get around to section 28 - sorry about that but the next few days are a little busy. I've already checked the tech specs and they're fine, but I still need to listen to the content.

Cheers,
Paul
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 28

Just some small points:

11:33 "xcvth" and "xcist" should be 95th and 91st respectively

16:04 Repeated phrase "The same writer..."

22:47 "18th" should be "17th"

25:05 "dragons l'Imperatrice" should be "faire l'Imperatrice". "Dragons de l'Imperatrice" occurs in the previous line, so take care to correct the right one.

C'est tout! Merci bien.

Cheers,
Paul
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you Paul! :thumbs:

Readers needed:
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Thank you, Elsie.

Section 27 Spot PL OK
Section 28 Spot PL OK

I'm relieved those sections are done. At the risk of being misunderstood, that's enough sodomy to last me a lifetime...