[COMPLETE] The Tomb of Tut Ankh Amen by Howard Carter - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Chapter V is up - we found something! And after some digging up and filling in and digging up and filling in, and digging up again, we finally get to open the tomb...

Chapter VI is up too - the door is torn down, and we stand in the antechamber. It's messy, and it's hard to set a foot in front of the other, and before doing anything, we have to clean up and out...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Oh, the excitement! PL OK :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Chapter VII is up - we take a closer look at the objects in the antechamber and marvel at their beauty, which unfortunately doesn't really translate into the black and white photos that are given... *sigh*

Chapter VIII is up - where we finally get to take pictures of everything that is in the antechamber so that we can clean it out. And a fine mess we have in there that we need to clean while we're at it...

Chapter IX is up - where we get a 95 year old rant about tourists. 'nuf said.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

SEction 9 is PL OK :thumbs: I agree with Carter on the things like old fingerprints, hasty mess, etc. Somehow it speaks more deeply than a perfectly arranged object of any kind would. More PL incoming.
EDIT: Section 10 is OK
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Piotr!

Section 13 about the lab work is the longest, about twice the pages as the previous chapters. I guess he has a lot to say about the preservation of things, I'm curious!

And just yesterday, during editing, I realised that I should have said "Volume 1" in the intros because there are two more coming... :? Oh well, I'll indicate it on the catalog page.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

SEction 12 is PL OK :thumbs: So many important remarks!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Piotr, I guess tourists don't change much?

Chapter X is up, an extremely interesting account on how to preserve old wood and clothing. I wonder how much technology has changed in the last 95 years...

Chapter XI is up too, and deals with the opening of the sealed door that's leading to the actual burial chamber. Given what they found in there, I am wondering how exactly the tomb robbers got those huge things out of the tombs - just cutting stuff up into little pieces? :hmm:

And with this, my work is (mostly) done! Still need a decent cover though and I have an idea, just need to find the right image... If ever so possible, I would love to get this into the catalog this month.
Thanks already for listening!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Chapter 11 is PL OK :thumbs: I'll listen to the longer ones today evening or tomorrow morning.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you! Don't worry, there's no rush - I still haven't found the one picture I want to use... :?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

And the longest section is PL OK :thumbs:
I liked the description of the various tasks that an archealogist has to perform. Daunting indeed. :shock: (In this respect it reminded me of a project I PLed in which the job of a lighthouse operator was described.)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Piotr for sticking with me - or rather: with him. :wink:

I'm out all day, but I might get to catalog when I'm home. Otherwise another day or two won't hurt...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Finally, I managed to decide on a cover... I wanted this image from the beginning, but I wasn't too happy about the quality. Couldn't find it elsewhere though, I hope it's not too obvious.

Anyway, thank you Piotr for your patience, we're done and catalogued:
https://librivox.org/the-tomb-of-tut-ankh-amen-vol-1-by-howard-carter/

:clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com