Voice-activated microphone

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Hello,
I've done a few recordings on LV and although they're good enough to be PL OK, there's still some background noise. I'd like to do the noise cleaning but here comes the problem with my microphone – it's voice-activated so the gaps between my words are filled with silence instead of the noise (which appears again when I start speaking).
I can do the noise cleaning but it's more complicated because I have to look for some tiny section of the noise itself (which is difficult as the microphone turns off almost immediately). So, my question is: Is there any way to make the mic record all the time when I want to record and not just when I'm speaking? I don't use any special microphone, just the inbuilt one in my laptop (Dell Vostro).
Thanks for anyone's help :)
Kudrna
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There should be a setting somewhere to turn off the voice activation. Check in your Windows control panel for recording devices.

On a Win7 computer, you can right click on the speaker icon in your system tray, then select Recording Devices. Select the microphone, then click on Configure.

Other operating systems? I don't know. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

P.S. It also sounds like you might have noise cancellation turned on, since simple voice activation shouldn't remove noise from between your vocals. Look for noise cancellation as well, and turn it off. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 10:27 am P.S. It also sounds like you might have noise cancellation turned on, since simple voice activation shouldn't remove noise from between your vocals. Look for noise cancellation as well, and turn it off. :)
Thank you. I suggested to Kudrna that help would be available. The community never fails in coming to help!
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

You may also look into noise gates. These let you set a thread hold where all noise under that threshold is removed. There quite a few free ones for audacity. I don’t use audacity so I can’t offer a personal recommendation but upon a quick google search this one looked good https://sourceforge.net/p/audacity/mailman/message/26116585/
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

cowguy02 wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 3:25 pm You may also look into noise gates. ...
They work great. The only trouble is the resulting recording is completely unnatural. I'd rather have room noise than complete silence between sentences. Of course, every listener has their preferences...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

re dead silence. to quote a listener - it's spooky. Like listening to a dead person :D

Anne
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

tovarisch wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 3:52 pm
cowguy02 wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 3:25 pm You may also look into noise gates. ...
They work great. The only trouble is the resulting recording is completely unnatural. I'd rather have room noise than complete silence between sentences. Of course, every listener has their preferences...
Correct, the point is that with a noise gate you could noise reduce the files under the words. and with a quick noise room track mixed in you could fix your problem completely.
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Thank you all for your advice.
I tried to change the settings as Tricia suggested (I use Win10 but it's similar) and then I found the "microphone amplification" option. It was set quite high so I tried to lower it and eventually turn it off completely. I'd say it helped a lot and with a bit of audacity cleaning it'll sound much better than before.
However, if the noise starts again, I'll give a try to the noise gate option, it sounds great, too.
Thanks again for your help :)
Kudrna
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

So glad you got it working!

Yes I adore my noise gate. So much better then noise reductions because you don't do audio samples it takes the noise down as a whole. :D