[Complete] The Life of Harriot Stuart, by Charlotte Lennox - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

The Life Of Harriot Stuart by Charlotte Lennox (1730 - 1804).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-life-of-harriot-stuart-by-charlotte-lennox/

The Life of Harriot Stuart, Written by Herself presents a complex and problematic view of self-creation in the eighteenth century. Within the novel, there is a constantly reoccurring theme of self-invention through fiction, which is echoed by the author's own use of the novel to shape her identity.

Published in December of 1750, Harriot Stuart gained critical praise as a successor of Richardson's Clarissa and by 1752, Charlotte Lennox had become a protégé of Johnson. Lennox's second novel reflects the influences of men like Richardson and Johnson. Their individual styles and commitments to moral and social education are evident in the arguments and plot of The Female Quixote.

Despite these associations with the didactic tradition, Harriot Stuart's resemblance to it is only superficial. Although Harriot makes gestures toward repentance and acknowledgment of her faults, the work of the novel is not to redeem Harriot's coquetry through marriage, but rather allow her to control her own identity through the manipulation of language as both coquette and narrator.

As coquette, Harriot Stuart uses the language of courtship to manipulate the perceptions of her male admirers. The object of the male gaze, traditionally considered a passive role, is a site of empowerment for the coquette as she exploits it to create and re-create herself in society's eyes. As narrator, Harriot uses the telling of her courtship as a vehicle of self-invention. In controlling the telling of her own history, she in effect reconstructs her identity.

Lennox, who arrived at London in 1742 with no recorded past, also engages in this self-narration as author. The history that Lennox claims for herself parallels that of Harriot Stuart, whose fictional autobiography was accepted, with Lennox's implicit consent, as the author's own.

The implications of Lennox's choice of an American autobiography raise two questions. First, what exactly was American-ness in 1750 and what did it represent to Lennox specifically. Second, how did this American quality manifest itself within Harriot Stuart as both fiction and autobiography.

The particularly ambiguous relationship between author, narrator, and heroine in The Life of Harriot Stuart complicates the reader's interpretation of Harriot's character and lifestyle. Along with the implications of Harriot's invention of her identity as coquette and historian, are those of Lennox's own self-invention as author through genre, gender, and geography. ( )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uGbh5di5rmyuJqTDjS8uVn1W1l9siBhZkvPk7KsVeJI/edit?usp=sharing
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Charlotte Lennox) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Lennox
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://xroads.virginia.edu/~MA96/owens/home.htm
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1750
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Life Of Harriot Stuart . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Life Of Harriot Stuart , by Charlotte Lennox. [Section Number] [Title of Section] "

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section Number] [Title of Section] "
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Life Of Harriot Stuart , by Charlotte Lennox. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    lifeofharriotstuart_##_lennox_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lifeofharriotstuart_01_lennox_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: Charlotte Lennox
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Life Of Harriot Stuart

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by cowguy02 on May 21st, 2019, 9:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Hello All,

Due to a lack of working computer, I have to stick to BCing right now. (In case you wondered why you had to drop out of all my reading and DPL stuff :( ).

MC and DPL needed and will be warmly welcomed!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hay, this is a long long book. I am not sure 4 sections would be enough. Do you have wordcounts?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

miss stav wrote: May 18th, 2019, 2:21 am Hay, this is a long long book. I am not sure 4 sections would be enough. Do you have wordcounts?
Good point as they are about 18,000 words each. I’ll try and break that down further. I’m going to go with each volume being 4 sections. (About 30 min each)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you.
When you've sorted out word counts, you can add extra sections (by clicking on 'add section'!) -- they will automatically go to the bottom but can be dragged into place if necessary. You need to stick to a maximum of about 8000 words per section (some fast readers will do more, but more steady pacing will come out at 8000 or less). If you need help, just holler... you can do a lot on an iPad, but sometimes you just hit a brick wall (been there, done that).
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Lynnet wrote: May 19th, 2019, 3:35 pm I will set this up for you.
When you've sorted out word counts, you can add extra sections (by clicking on 'add section'!) -- they will automatically go to the bottom but can be dragged into place if necessary. You need to stick to a maximum of about 8000 words per section (some fast readers will do more, but more steady pacing will come out at 8000 or less). If you need help, just holler... you can do a lot on an iPad, but sometimes you just hit a brick wall (been there, done that).
Woohoo! Thanks for taking this on. I’ll get those sections sorted out tomorrow. I may move the text to a google doc so we can do the sections easier. Would that work for you?
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

All Righty, word counts done, ended up keeping some of them shorter. Google doc is ready. I think all we need is a DPL and we will be good to go!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

cowguy02 wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:30 am All Righty, word counts done, ended up keeping some of them shorter. Google doc is ready. I think all we need is a DPL and we will be good to go!
I’ll DPL!
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

elsieselwyn wrote: May 30th, 2019, 6:57 am
cowguy02 wrote: May 20th, 2019, 9:30 am All Righty, word counts done, ended up keeping some of them shorter. Google doc is ready. I think all we need is a DPL and we will be good to go!
I’ll DPL!
Welcome to my new best friend! We will get you MW access soon. After that just get started when the sections come rolling in :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Elsie added as DPL.
miareads

Post by miareads »

Hi!

I'm new and would like to complete Section 2 of The Life of Harriot Stuart (Volume 1, Part 1). My pseudonym is Bella Giamani. :D Since I'm new, I'd like to see how that goes, and then take on additional sections. I'll be working on a web site to which I can link, but don't have it just yet.

Please let me know if there is any other information that I may have missed.

Thanks!

Mia
miareads
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

miareads wrote: June 9th, 2019, 2:03 pm Hi!

I'm new and would like to complete Section 2 of The Life of Harriot Stuart (Volume 1, Part 1). My pseudonym is Bella Giamani. :D Since I'm new, I'd like to see how that goes, and then take on additional sections. I'll be working on a web site to which I can link, but don't have it just yet.

Please let me know if there is any other information that I may have missed.

Thanks!

Mia
miareads
Hi there Mia! I see that you already did your 1 min test! Nice! :thumbs: so excited to have you join us today. A couple notes:

1) This is your reader page in the catalog https://librivox.org/reader/13405

2) Any admin can add you website

3) You need to have your section in within the next 2 months.

SO glad you found LV. Looking forward to getting you started! Just post if you have issues with the book and pm me if you need any general help.

~Luke
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

PL Notes for Section 1:

2:18 “author’s own” cut off a little

Also, could you delete some of the beginning silence? It needs to be a second or less (I always forget to do this :lol: ). At the beginning and end there is some white noise, which if it could be reduced by noise reduction would be great. If not, it’s not the end of the world :D
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

elsieselwyn wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 6:46 am PL Notes for Section 1:

2:18 “author’s own” cut off a little

Also, could you delete some of the beginning silence? It needs to be a second or less (I always forget to do this :lol: ). At the beginning and end there is some white noise, which if it could be reduced by noise reduction would be great. If not, it’s not the end of the world :D
Wait for it.... Wait... Ah here they are https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofharriotstuart_0_lennox_128kb.mp3 I believe that file should be ok now XD. And yes, that was a bit corny.