Help with using chromebook for LV

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
artdecoliz

Post by artdecoliz »

I'm new and just found out that Audacity isn't available for my Chromebook.
Does someone know how to record on a Chromebook?
Liz
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I've been trying to look into options for working with audio on chromebooks too, because I'm gonna have to teach with them this fall. I think the only options will be online web-based programs. Soundcloud, apparently, allows recording through their web app or something?

I haven't gotten too far in my search, and I have no idea whether it'll be easy to get LV specs right in any of the online options. hopefully it's possible though!
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Searching the forums, we don't have any definitive answer or instructions. Here are two threads on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=74491
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=70892

If someone is successful using a Chromebook, it would be great to hear back from them about what they used, how they set it up to do our tech specs correctly, etc. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ej400

Post by ej400 »

artdecoliz wrote: July 1st, 2019, 9:54 pm I'm new and just found out that Audacity isn't available for my Chromebook.
Does someone know how to record on a Chromebook?
Liz
Unless the google play store will add audacity, then Chromebooks could use it. But that is not the case. The only way you'd be able to use audacity, is by downloading a version for apple, linux, or windows. Those are the only current versions, so unless you have one of those, your unable to use audacity :(

You can however, record from a chromebook, although the only recording system I found, was a small download, that could only record 20 minutes or so.

I'm actually writing this from a chromebook (not like that matters). Anyway, I also looked around to see if there was a way to check tech specs, but again, the checker download only works for apple/mac, linux & windows. It would make my life much easier to DPL things, if I had found a checker for chromebook.

Not trying to discourage you, but I'm only sharing my experience, and hoping that chromebooks will get some better upgrades soon.