COMPLETE[PLAY] The Drummer, or, The Haunted House - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, TJ! This means that I can already finish out the cast list, so that the prologue is now Ready for PL!

All act 1 lines present and accounted for!

I have one optional picky suggestion, which I leave up to you. It sounds fine as is, but might make more sense with a different pronunciation. At 3:10, you have the sentence, "For ought I know, he might flea thee alive, and make Parchment of thy Skin to cover his Drum with." I think that here we have an alternate/archaic spelling in the word "flea" which probably means "flay." If you like to redo this line with this pronunciation, that would be good, but on the other hand, the servants are all uneducated and might mispronounce things anyway, so I leave it up to you.

Looking forward to the next one! :thumbs:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, here's Lady Truman Act 5 again, file is the same up to the second half of the Epilogue (from 4:48 onwards).

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drummer_ladytruman_5.mp3 (5:49)
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: June 29th, 2019, 11:37 am Thanks, TJ! This means that I can already finish out the cast list, so that the prologue is now Ready for PL!

All act 1 lines present and accounted for!

I have one optional picky suggestion, which I leave up to you. It sounds fine as is, but might make more sense with a different pronunciation. At 3:10, you have the sentence, "For ought I know, he might flea thee alive, and make Parchment of thy Skin to cover his Drum with." I think that here we have an alternate/archaic spelling in the word "flea" which probably means "flay." If you like to redo this line with this pronunciation, that would be good, but on the other hand, the servants are all uneducated and might mispronounce things anyway, so I leave it up to you.

Looking forward to the next one! :thumbs:
Thanks, Devorah!

I was wondering about the "flea" -- I even said "skin" by mistake the first time I read it -- so I got the meaning straight off... I corrected it. The corrected sentence is still at 3:10:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drummerorhauntedhouse_butler_1_128kb.mp3

The rest of the play is already recorded and mostly edited. It'll be along soon.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks to both of you! Because of the American holiday we have this week, it may be a few days before I can do any more on this. I'm leaving to go out of town July 10, and I'm hoping I can at least get act 1 ready to go before then.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Both PL ok, thank you!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

And the Preface is PL OK also!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks TJ!

Act 2:

Missed a few Butler lines in the opening scene with Vellum:

Sir, here's a strange old Gentleman that asks for you; he says he's a Conjurer, but he looks very suspicious; I wish he ben't a Jesuit.

I wish he ben't a Jesuit; but he says he's nothing but a Conjurer.

Sir, here is the Conjurer—What a devilish long Beard he has! I warrant it has been growing these hundred Years.

Act 4 PL ok!
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: July 8th, 2019, 11:11 pm Thanks TJ!

Act 2:

Sir, here's a strange old Gentleman that asks for you; he says he's a Conjurer, but he looks very suspicious; I wish he ben't a Jesuit.

Sir, here is the Conjurer—What a devilish long Beard he has! I warrant it has been growing these hundred Years.

Act 4 PL ok!
Thanks, Devorah!

I cut my sections out and pasted them onto a Word document -- a method that clearly doesn't work very well... :shock:
I'll fix that right up for you. :D
benderca

Post by benderca »

benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: July 8th, 2019, 11:11 pm Thanks TJ!

Act 2:

And here's Butler, Act 2, with the three missing lines (right at the beginning):

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drummerorhauntedhouse_butler_2_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, TJ. Act 5 PL ok. But I have another note on Act 2. I hate to give you notes on the same lines twice, but there it is. :|

In your first two lines, the contraction ben't means "be not," to essentially mean "I hope he's not a Jesuit." As it is now, it sounds in both lines as if you're saying that you hope he is a Jesuit.

Take your time, though. I'm leaving in the morning for five days. I wanted to at least get act 1 ready before my trip, but I've been working more lately. :?
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: July 9th, 2019, 10:25 pm Thanks, TJ. Act 5 PL ok. But I have another note on Act 2. I hate to give you notes on the same lines twice, but there it is. :|

In your first two lines, the contraction ben't means "be not," to essentially mean "I hope he's not a Jesuit." As it is now, it sounds in both lines as if you're saying that you hope he is a Jesuit.

Take your time, though. I'm leaving in the morning for five days. I wanted to at least get act 1 ready before my trip, but I've been working more lately. :?
Oh, that makes sense. I was wondering why he wanted him to be a Jesuit -- I figured he wanted a priest to chase away the spirit. But now I think he is hoping it is not a door-to-door missionary. He feels pretty strongly about this to say it twice... :shock: Okay, I'll get that to you shortly.

Thanks!
TJ
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Act 1 is ready for PL. Take your time, Beth. I know you've got some medical stuff coming up, so no need to rush on this.