[OKAY]Feedback on One-Minute Test Appreciated - francesanngray

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
francesanngray

Post by francesanngray » June 27th, 2019, 10:38 am

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 30th, 2019, 3:35 am

hi Frances and welcome to the forum :D

thank you for your test. I just listened to it and your reading voice is very pleasurable to listen to. No problems there already, I can hear that you enjoy reading.

For the technical settings, there are a few things we need to tweak though, before it's LV standard, I'm afraid. What program are you using ? If you record/edit with Audacity, I can give you some helpful step-by-steps if you wish.

Here is what you need to do.

1) the volume is definitely not loud enough. I was barely able to hear anything without cranking up the loudspeakers. Checker tells me you're only at 66.8 dB, but we accept between 86 and 92 dB. So you would have to amplify by 23 dB to get into the perfect average of 89. In any editing programme you can amplify the volume in post-processing, so could you please try to do that with your test ?

2) the background noise is a bit pronounced, especially now after amplification, because the noise of course also is amplified by 23 dB now ;) Again, editing programmes surely all have a noice-cleaning function. As I said, in Audacity I can tell you, with other programmes I'm not familiar with I'm afraid.

3) the bitrate is wrong. Yours is variable, we need 128 kbps constant. This usually gets set while exporting to mp3.

Could you please correct these three points and reupload and post the new link in this same thread, then I can have another listen to it. If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Thank you

Sonia

francesanngray

Post by francesanngray » July 31st, 2019, 6:00 pm

Hi, Kitty:

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to this....vacation, procrastination, etc. I have amplified my recording and fixed the problem with the settings. I'm not sure I have removed enough of the noise yet, though. Perhaps you could give it a listen. The file is at:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/One_Minute_Test2.mp3

Thanks. Fran

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » August 2nd, 2019, 3:05 pm

This is a nice and very acceptable recording with all the right settings, and you are now ready to start contributing.

One thing to remember however is to only use lower case letters in your filenames. Some old computers don't like capitals. There will be instructions on filenames to use in the first posting of each project.

Also, there are a couple of what we call "explosives" in your recording, where puffs of air associated with letters like "P" or "T" hit the microphone. These are hard to edit out of a recording, but can be easily eliminated during recording by putting your microphone a bit off to one side or above/below your mouth when speaking. Another option is using a "pop-filter" - a little screen between mouth and microphone to stop the air puffs while still letting the sounds of your voice through. (My son made me a cheap pop-filter by stretching a nylon stocking over a small picture frame I held between mouth and microphone.)

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 6th, 2019, 1:34 am

thank you so much, Todd, for helping out while I was away. :9:

And yes, Frances, the technical settings are all LV standard now. The advice Todd gave you for the plosives is something you could consider in future recordings.
francesanngray wrote:I'm not sure I have removed enough of the noise yet, though. Perhaps you could give it a listen.
Yes, I had another listen just now and I would maybe try to do a bit of noise-cleaning still for your first official recording, just so the sound is a bit cleaner.

Do you use Audacity ? If so, I can give you a step-by-step, if you want to tweak this issue a bit further. I cleaned the file a bit more on my computer and it does make a difference. 8-)

Just let me know if you need further help. I'm back from my holidays now and have time.

Sonia