Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Well, I'm game! :wink:

I'm a wee bit busy myself at the mo', reading 'The War of the Worlds', so it's not
like I'm in any particular rush...

Just consider me 'on board', for whenever something happens! :)
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

A one act farce straight off the press at gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59778

Edit: whoops I meant to post this in Play Suggestions
Last edited by elsieselwyn on June 21st, 2019, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

elsieselwyn wrote: June 21st, 2019, 7:21 pm A one act farce straight off the press at gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59778
Looks like a great pick for the next One-Act Play Collection! :)
Tomas Peter
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Elizabby wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 1:50 pm Cori and I continued to do most of the short story collections - actually there is only one left that we didn’t do, and it was in fact the one with Scandal in Bohemia!
Actually, more than that....

Of the 5 collections:
- "The Adventures of ..." and "The Memoirs of ..." have collaborative readings, but not dramatized.
- "The Return of ...." and "His Last Bow" have been dramatized.
- "The Case-book of ..." is still under copyright (from 1927, so we're good in 2023)
Truth,
James
---------------------
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

In case anyone is looking for suggestions, here are a couple of serious and excellent plays by great authors in English translations :

William Tell by Schiller, which is about the courage of one man against a tyrannical government.

The Project Gutenberg EBook of The German Classics of The Nineteenth and
Twentieth Centuries, Vol. III, by Kuno Francke, Editor-in-Chief
http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/11692/pg11692.txt

The Cid by Corneille, which features a love triangle complicated by royal obligations, and a duel between a woman's fiance and her father.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14954
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

carolpelster wrote: July 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm William Tell by Schiller, which is about the courage of one man against a tyrannical government.

The Project Gutenberg EBook of The German Classics of The Nineteenth and
Twentieth Centuries, Vol. III, by Kuno Francke, Editor-in-Chief
http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/11692/pg11692.txt
Interesting that you should bring up this one. A scene from it appears in the current volume of The World's Story that Sonia is BCing:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=74619
https://archive.org/details/worldsstoryhisto07tapp/page/486

The full play would be nice to have. But that's quite a daunting cast list. I count over 40 named characters, plus extras! :shock:
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I've checked that Librivox does do NC-17 works such as the Erotica Romana and that piece by Kate Percival (https://librivox.org/the-life-and-amours-of-the-beautiful-gay-and-dashing-kate-percival-the-belle-of-the-delaware-by-kate-percival/). I was trawling around on Wikisource and came upon this surprising delight - https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Pearl

The Pearl is a collection of erotic tales, rhymes, songs and parodies in magazine form that were published in London between 1879 to 1880, when they were forced to shut down by the authorities for publishing rude and obscene literature. There are 18 volumes (plus a Christmas Annual in 1881), and they're not that long.

Some of the material's very shocking indeed :oops: but if anyone's up for doing some NSFW work, this would be the place to look.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The difficulty is with the source; the text that you link to has obviously been reformatted and may have been edited since its original Victorian publishing date. The Pearl doesn't seem to be available on Gutenberg yet. You'd need to find a scan of the original or, at least, a version published before 1924.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Peter Why wrote: August 9th, 2019, 8:30 am The difficulty is with the source; the text that you link to has obviously been reformatted and may have been edited since its original Victorian publishing date. The Pearl doesn't seem to be available on Gutenberg yet. You'd need to find a scan of the original or, at least, a version published before 1924.

Peter
I believe Wikisource is PD, which is why it's on Wikisource in the first place. Only 150 copies were printed per issue according to Wikipedia so I highly doubt there are originals that still exist!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wikisource is not necessarily PD. People post texts on there, and they can say whatever they want about it or even edit the text, and there's no checking them to PD sources.

So no - Wikisource is not reliable, and we don't use it.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

TriciaG wrote: August 9th, 2019, 9:58 am Wikisource is not necessarily PD. People post texts on there, and they can say whatever they want about it or even edit the text, and there's no checking them to PD sources.

So no - Wikisource is not reliable, and we don't use it.
I see. What about this? http://www.horntip.com/html/books_&_MSS/1870s/1879-1880_the_pearl_journal/
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Horntip has, under its Conditions of Use, the following:
I will not allow any person under 18 (21 in some areas) years old to view any adult content from this website. I will not allow any person who is under the jurisdiction of any municipality, city, state, country, or other governmental entity where viewing, reading and/or listening to adult content is prohibited by law, view, read and/or listen to content on or from this website.
.. which is not something that we can guarantee, as we put our recordings into the public domain.

I've no objections to us recording The Pearl, though I do find its supposed erotica rather heavy-handed, but we do need the certainty of freedom from copyright.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Unless someone is actually, imminently going to make it into a DR, I don't want to pursue finding a PD text. Heck - I'm prudish, so I wouldn't want to be the one to pursue finding a PD text anyway. :roll: At this point it's just a suggestion, correct? So we could cross the "where's a text" bridge if and when we come to it. (Unless someone else wants to put in research to find one, that is.)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It may also be a good idea to determine (should someone really want to pursue this) whether we have enough readers interested in it to successfully complete it. I have no idea how many characters would be required, but if it's a sizeable number, you may be waiting a long time to get enough readers. I for one will not record erotica.
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Whoa!

Heavy!

I shall leave you Dudes to sort this out amongst yourselves!
(I'm in enough trouble already!)

(;)
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...