[COMPLETE] The History Of The Devil by Daniel Defoe-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: June 25th, 2019, 3:36 pm Back soon with MW
Excellent!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I filled in the MW with the names of sections and Kevin’s submissions. I will PL them shortly. Hopefully I did it okay and I named the sections to your liking, Stav.

P.S. I committed to keeping the MW updated for you as well as being your DPL.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks, Elsie, if Stav doesn't like the titles she can change them. And add word counts if she wants them
Sorry, Stav - I didn't make things clear to Elsie. All I asked was for her to add the reader's name from the dropdown but I wasn't clear enough - I'm still upset that the software change robbed you of that ability :( . I've apologized to Elsie for not making it clear but from now own she will only do the name adding
And you can do all the rest of the BC duties :D

Anne
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, thanks you all were busy. Ok I wee the titles and would add the page numbers to the mw for future readers. It is really nice to have your help with that, however I learned to do it so you don't have to feel responceible.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I added the page count. I would like to split every chapter above 30 pages, as every page is about 2 minutes of reading and that would be too long, and add a separate section for the conclusion. Would you please be able to add 7 sections to the mw?
Elsie, with a new screen reader I can manage the mw. It is more dificalt so I welcome help. However, in order to make things fair for both of us, can we agree that you update the mw only if I did not within 24 hours of a new claim or submition? I would not like you to do it strate away because there is no reason. Thanks in advance,
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I will add them Stav, but you may be able to do it yourself,
on the page where you edit the MW there is a row of buttons saying Add New Section, Add new Reader, assign reader sections.
However that is easier at the beginning, now you would have to get them into the right places - they are added at the bottom
I'll try and match what you want

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Done - I could only find 4 pages over 30 so I added 4 and one for the conclusion . Let me know if I missed something

Anne
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

miss stav wrote: June 25th, 2019, 9:02 pm I added the page count. I would like to split every chapter above 30 pages, as every page is about 2 minutes of reading and that would be too long, and add a separate section for the conclusion. Would you please be able to add 7 sections to the mw?
Elsie, with a new screen reader I can manage the mw. It is more dificalt so I welcome help. However, in order to make things fair for both of us, can we agree that you update the mw only if I did not within 24 hours of a new claim or submition? I would not like you to do it strate away because there is no reason. Thanks in advance,
Stav.
Ok! That works for me! :D
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you both. I will split the chapters tomorrow. I would try to add sections myself if I need, but I am used to the fact only admens can do it so I asked.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I was just saying, so maybe you wouldn't have to wait around for me. It's always much easier to have the right number of sections in the template though in the first place. So you can add sections, but only admins can delete sections. But I'm not sure how the screen reader would cope with moving them into the right place.

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'd like to take Section Two, please, but I'm having trouble with all the 'blanks.' Might you help me?

But before I enter upon any part of his history, the nature of the thing calls me back, and my Lord B—— of —— in his late famous orations in defence of liberty, summons me to prove that there is such a thing or such a person as the Devil; and in short, unless I can give some evidence of his existence, as my Lord —— said very well, I am talking of nobody.

[It's here next where I get confused.]

D—m me, Sir, says a graceless comrade of his to a great man, your Grace will go to the Devil.

D—m ye, Sir, says the D—— [Duke or Devil or what? Can't they say 'Devil'? Surely one can say Duke.], then I shall go no where; I wonder where you intend to go?

Nay, to the D——l [Devil? Can I say it?] too I doubt, says Graceless, for I am almost as wicked as my Lord Duke.

D. Thou ar’t a silly empty Dog, says the D— [Duke, right?!], and if there is such a place as a Hell, tho’ I believe nothing of it, ’tis a place for fools, such as thou art.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think section 2 is OK but just be careful about claiming until Stav works out what she wants
As to your question .. I have no idea what was in the writer's mind so I'd probably just use D dash and D dash L rather than try to second guess him. It is defined as humour, maybe it's a joke? or a statement about how silly it is to write d__n when everyone reads to themselves as damn? Who knows. But it is up to Stav

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: June 26th, 2019, 4:10 pm I think section 2 is OK but just be careful about claiming until Stav works out what she wants
Ass to your question .. I have no idea what was in the writer's mind so I'd probably just use D dash and D dash L rather than try to second guess him. It is defined as humour, maybe it's a joke? or a statement about how silly it is to write d__n when everyone reads to themselves as damn? Who knows. But it is up to Stav

Anne
Yes, I'm waiting for Stav to give permission.

I think you're right in there being humor in the blanks. I suspect the readers of the time knew exactly about whom Defoe was writing.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure, section 2 is all yours. And I would read the d--m as is. It's funny.