COMPLETE The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France (1844 - 1924).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/crime-of-sylvestre-bonnard-by-anatole-france/
Noted historian sets out to locate and research a rare manuscript: the French version of -- "The Golden Legend" -- and meets the daughter of a woman he once loved. Complications follow. ( David Crosby)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2123
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: i haven't read the book yet.

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France. [Date/Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Date/Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename crimeofsylvestrebonnard_##_france_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. crimeofsylvestrebonnard_01_france_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

We strongly encourage new readers to record a chapter or two in a group project before taking on a solo recording of an entire book. Group projects that are looking for readers can be found here.
viewforum.php?f=2

Also, here is the url of an etext of the book.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2123

edit: I've added you as a reader for LV with the display name you mention above. You can change your display name but not your username at any time.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

No response from reader. Moving this to "book suggestions" to keep the launch pad tidy. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
LeadDogDavie

Post by LeadDogDavie »

I have posted Part 1 of The Crime of Silvestre Bonnard: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/Silvetre_Bonnard.mp3.

On rechecking my instructions, I think I did not give the file the right name. I'll go back and upload in the proper format. (This is my first attempt; there are a lot of things to remember. I'll get better as go along (hopefully).
LeadDogDavie
LeadDogDavie

Post by LeadDogDavie »

OK, the file has now been uploaded in the correct format (hopefully) to:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/crimeofsilvestrebonnardbyanatolefrance_part1_france_128kb.mp3
The length is 23:37
I do not have an MC assigned yet.
LeadDogDavie
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Moving this over to the Launch Pad for you. I will not be able to MC this for you, but someone will be along to do so.
Please do not upload any more files until you have a MC.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Welcome first-time BC
This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator (BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs/edit

Instructions for BCs and DPLs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

ID3 tags will be added during cataloging so you don't need to add them to your files.

If you have any questions, let me know. Sections can be added by you or deleted by me. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) volunteers. If you already have someone in mind as DPL just let me know.
I've added some information to the MW merely as a suggestion. Feel free to make changes. I have also suggested using section numbers in the intros and outros as some files may include a single "day" while others may include two or more days. Sections can be 70m long but many readers prefer that they be 20-40m in length. I have shortened the file names and indicated that they should be uploaded to my folder (craigdav1). When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. The link from the uploader goes in the "Listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. You should also change the "status" to "Ready for PL". Be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.
Some of the contents of the MW will appear in the final project page that listeners see and it will be used to create the ID3 tags that appear on their mp3 player. Again, welcome to your first solo project.
DaveC
LeadDogDavie

Post by LeadDogDavie »

How do I get to my "Magic Window?"
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The table in the first post (at top above this post) is called the Magic Window. Once you have set yourself up with a new password, login using that password and then click on BC Admin (just below the MW and on the left side). If you are not logged in it will ask you to do so. The section compiler will then appear and you can now add information to the MW (e.g. section titles).
LeadDogDavie

Post by LeadDogDavie »

Jesus, I hate to be such schlemiel, but The only way I can get into the forum is using my old forum password. Once there I can't find the Magic Window. I have tried to sign in using my workflow password and I get an error message telling me my password isn't recognized. Sorry. I know you volunteers have better ways to spend your time. D
LeadDogDavie

Post by LeadDogDavie »

I think I figured it out and the next section is logged in my Magic Window as Ready for PL.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Congratulations on getting into the MW. Things will get easier, I promise. The file was uploaded to my folder but the filename isn't correct. All file names should have the following format:

crimeofsylvestrebonnard_02_france_128kb.mp3

The section numbers, of course, are different for the different sections (02 here because you are uploading section 2).

Change the file name, upload to my folder and then put the new link in the MW, replacing the current link.

Before you do that though:
1. If you wish to open and close each section with the date or chapter number then I would recommend each audio file only contain 1 date/chapter. This will result in some sections being rather short (perhaps 5m or less). If you decide though that you want each file to be longer (and thus containing more than 1 date/chapter) than I would recommend the intros and outros contain the section number as shown below.

START of recording (Intro):
"Section [number] of The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
"The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France. [Date/Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Section [number] of The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard by Anatole France. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
Only if applicable, say:
"[Date/Chapter title]"

END of recording:
At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Section #]"
If you wish, say:

2. the volume is very low and should be amplified up to 89dB (your file is 81.4dB).
LeadDogDavie

Post by LeadDogDavie »

I have changed the file name to the correct format and replaced the old file name in MW. Let me know if I got it right. Also, I would appreciate any comments on how the recording sounds. I have always enjoyed Anatole France, but I find that I am stumbling over the pronunciation of all the French words. The combination of summer schedules and my difficulties navigating the site have slowed me up. I'll try to be quicker and I am sure that more frequent use will imprint the site navigation on my brain and I won't be reinventing the wheel with every upload. I will adjust the record volume to 89db. Did the low volume compromise the first two sections? Thanks again for your patience.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The reading of section 2 is very good. My comments are as follows:

00:00 - Begin the intro with "Section 2" followed by the rest of the intro that you have recorded.
25:28 - In the outro you say "end of section." You should say "end of section 2."

Finally, As I previously noted the volume is low (81.4dB, should be 89dB) and should be amplified.

Some of our listeners are visually impaired and providing the section number at the beginning and end of each file makes it easier to keep track of where they are in the book. For a book without chapter numbers, the section numbers are useful in this regard.

Section 1
As you correctly did for section 2, upload section 1 to my folder (craigdav1). The file name should be:
crimeofsylvestrebonnard_01_france_128kb.mp3

Section 1 has low volume (82.1dB) and should be amplified before it is uploaded. Also, the intro and outro probably need the section number added.