Multiple volumes in one project

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ej400

Post by ej400 »

So let's say for example, out of my curiosity, there's a 5 volume series you want to do as a SOLO. All 5 volumes are on 5 different gutenberg links, but there are only a total 10 chapters in each volume, which would make a total of 50 chapters in the 5 volumes. Since librivox can have up to 256 sections in one MW, would it be possible to make all those 5 volumes in just one project? Or would you have to record each volume individually at a time?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is possible, though most readers wouldn't do it. There is a degree of satisfaction for all concerned in having projects tucked away in the catalogue for safe reading :D
However general questions can only get general answers, Macaulays History of England has 25 chapters spread through 5 volumes and each chapter is about 4-8 hours reading depend on how interesting he finds that period. And we recorded it split into chapters and it took 6 years.
I'm a believer in the theory that group projects move faster in digestible lumps so people can see it finishing in their lifetime.

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

So let's say each chapter is 50 minutes long, then it's perfectly fine that we'd combine all the volumes in one project? I mean, I wouldn't do this with Edmund Burke, because each volume is extremely large, and because it doesn't have a connection with the previous volume. The subject changes greatly through all of them, and even in each volume. But if you were going to do a biography of say, Benjamin Franklin, and there were two volumes that had 6 chapters of 50 minutes each, than wouldn't you combine the two volumes into one project?
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Yes, it's perfectly fine to make one project from several short volumes. :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

specific answer to specific question follows :D :D
It's been done often - the only thing you need to be careful about is to not refer to chapter 1 etc in MW and claims, there is usually a chapter 1 in both books and it has caused a number of errors in completed projects.

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

annise wrote: June 21st, 2019, 3:12 pm specific answer to specific question follows :D :D
It's been done often - the only thing you need to be careful about is to not refer to chapter 1 etc in MW and claims, there is usually a chapter 1 in both books and it has caused a number of errors in completed projects.

Anne
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for letting me know
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I did it several times, knowing full well that the project would not be popular. See all of Fanny Burney's works for example. I believe that dividing works into volumes can cause real problems. For example, let's say I bc volume one and I don't know what I decide to stop volunteering here. I leave volume 2 to someone else and trust it would one day be finished. Many times, it takes years or is not finished at all. But if I start volumes 1 and 2 together... It doesn't matter if I stop volunteering here, the project would be finished. So I prefer it this way. To know that something I started would some day be finished. I don't plan to stop volunteering here, of course, but I know real life is unexpected.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

miss stav wrote: June 21st, 2019, 6:57 pm But if I start volumes 1 and 2 together... It doesn't matter if I stop volunteering here, the project would be finished. So I prefer it this way. To know that something I started would some day be finished.
As one of those who have spent much time at LV finishing up things left by ex-members I hope that is not a generally held view around here.
I'm quite happy to do it if the BC lets us know and the reason is good
I'm reasonably happy if they tell us and it's a project I am really interested in
I grin and bear it if they tell us even if I personally don't like it - I don't believe that LV should be my personal library
But if we don't get told and I just have to hope that there is a really good reason and the person has overcommitted ........

So let's hope others here do not think that way or LV would ground to a halt covered in projects that will not attract readers - I personall y hope then when I leave there will be nothing for others to feel they have to finish off.

Anne
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I don't expect to leave here any time soon and I also spend time finishing other people's stuff. However my view is that if I leave I want something complete that nobody else would have to plan or plant. I want to plant something and if I leave to let others see it bloom. I certainly don't intend to begin projects for others to finish, with full intention of leaving. I start things in order to see them through. I am sorry I could not explain myself.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

miss stav wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 12:41 am I don't expect to leave here any time soon and I also spend time finishing other people's stuff. However my view is that if I leave I want something complete that nobody else would have to plan or plant. I want to plant something and if I leave to let others see it bloom. I certainly don't intend to begin projects for others to finish, with full intention of leaving. I start things in order to see them through. I am sorry I could not explain myself.
Then finish all your projects, and then leave. That way you can make sure that there's nothing left for other's to finish. And yes, sometimes life does happen, and that's where we've got a lot of volunteers to back us up :D <smile>
annise wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 12:34 am As one of those who have spent much time at LV finishing up things left by ex-members I hope that is not a generally held view around here.
I don't see librivox that way. To be honest, if someone started a long project, and got into it well, I'm sure someone would be glad to pick it up. I don't see things as if it's like their just leaving us with a burden, it's more of a "yes, we can still complete this project", and that's what I like about librivox, is that we've got so many kind volunteers who are willing to help out.