[COMPLETE] The History of Philosophy by William Turner - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

kassiey wrote: May 18th, 2019, 6:35 am Hi!

Can I claim section1&2?
By the way there are too many difficult names in this book. Is there any pronunciation guide we can refer to other than merriam webster dictionary?

Thanks!
If you are worried about difficult names, can I encourage you to claim a different section? If you look at later parts of the book on Modern philosophy there will be more names you recognize or find easy to read. Consider for example section 45 or 46? They are short and contain names like “John Stuart Mill” which even if you don’t know him, should be easy to say! I think that would be an easier solution for everyone.
kassiey

Post by kassiey »

Elizabby wrote: May 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm
kassiey wrote: May 18th, 2019, 6:35 am Hi!

Can I claim section1&2?
By the way there are too many difficult names in this book. Is there any pronunciation guide we can refer to other than merriam webster dictionary?

Thanks!
If you are worried about difficult names, can I encourage you to claim a different section? If you look at later parts of the book on Modern philosophy there will be more names you recognize or find easy to read. Consider for example section 45 or 46? They are short and contain names like “John Stuart Mill” which even if you don’t know him, should be easy to say! I think that would be an easier solution for everyone.
Ok can I start with section 42&43?
Thanks!
daddo

Post by daddo »

Hello, I'd like to claim section 16 (Greek Philosophy: Chapter 13: The Stoics) please and thank you!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! Welcome to the project!
jmhpowell

Post by jmhpowell »

Hi! I'd like to read sections 13 and 14 (the two parts of Chapter 11, on Aristotle).

Since I'm relatively new here, I do have a question: how should footnotes be handled? I've read through the chapter and to my judgment it seems most of the footnotes are disposable. Should I simply omit them?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes please - I only give footnotes if they are exceptionally interesting and relevant! So usually I don’t!

If you want to give one, just say “footnote” then read it, then say “end footnote”.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Section 64 is PL OK :thumbs:
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Epip

Post by Epip »

Hello! Can I claim section 56 on Schopenhauer and the other post-Hegel Germans?

This is an awesome project--I'll try to pick up more sections later on if you like my work. :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Epip wrote: May 28th, 2019, 1:26 pm Hello! Can I claim section 56 on Schopenhauer and the other post-Hegel Germans?
Yes, I can hold that section for you, but please do your 1 minute test and get it approved first before recording for this project. Full details in your welcome email or linked in the Wiki at the top of this page.
Epip

Post by Epip »

Elizabby wrote: May 28th, 2019, 2:04 pm Yes, I can hold that section for you, but please do your 1 minute test and get it approved first before recording for this project. Full details in your welcome email or linked in the Wiki at the top of this page.
Thanks for that--I have submitted my One Minute Test for approval, and I'll reply here once I get the go ahead on that side. :D Very excited!

Edit: I have received the OK to go ahead, which you can see here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75169 YAY!
steelstrings

Post by steelstrings »

Hi I'd like to read section:

1 Part 1, Ancient Philosophy: Babylonia, Assyria, Egypt, China p7-15 Open
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Welcome to the project! You’re welcome to read that section, but please complete your 1 min test first. Full instructions are in the Wiki at the top of the page.
daddo

Post by daddo »

Hello @Elizabby, I want to give an update on my progress with section 16 and ask for some :help:

In this section, there are a lot of Greek words written in the Greek alphabet with no pronunciation or translation given. I have gone through and researched/practised how to pronounce each of these words in their original form, however I'm not sure how I should approach this when doing the recording. Should I pronounce the words as-is, should I say a translation, or should I pronounce the words and note that it is written in Greek?

Additionally, section 16 doesn't start directly on chapter 13, it starts with the two page introduction to Third Period - Post-Aristotelian Philosophy, so I wanted to discuss how I should go about it. My thinking is that after doing start of recording "Chapter 13 of The History of Philosophy. This is a LibriVox ... please visit librivox.org" I would read it as:
"The History of Philosophy, by William Turner. Part I, Section B, Third Period - Post-Aristotelian Philosophy"
followed by the two page intro
followed by "Chapter 13 - The Stoics"
followed by reading chapter 13 proper.

Ultimately I'm not quite sure and felt the need to run it by you. It feels like a difficulty in converting something that makes visual sense but doesn't readily convert to the spoken word. :hmm:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

daddo wrote: June 11th, 2019, 11:19 pm Hello @Elizabby, I want to give an update on my progress with section 16 and ask for some :help:

In this section, there are a lot of Greek words written in the Greek alphabet with no pronunciation or translation given. I have gone through and researched/practised how to pronounce each of these words in their original form, however I'm not sure how I should approach this when doing the recording. Should I pronounce the words as-is, should I say a translation, or should I pronounce the words and note that it is written in Greek?

Additionally, section 16 doesn't start directly on chapter 13, it starts with the two page introduction to Third Period - Post-Aristotelian Philosophy, so I wanted to discuss how I should go about it. My thinking is that after doing start of recording "Chapter 13 of The History of Philosophy. This is a LibriVox ... please visit librivox.org" I would read it as:
"The History of Philosophy, by William Turner. Part I, Section B, Third Period - Post-Aristotelian Philosophy"
followed by the two page intro
followed by "Chapter 13 - The Stoics"
followed by reading chapter 13 proper.

Ultimately I'm not quite sure and felt the need to run it by you. It feels like a difficulty in converting something that makes visual sense but doesn't readily convert to the spoken word. :hmm:
Hi, sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you - I'm having internet problems, probably due to the NBN rollout in my area.

This is the link for the text with the Greek rendered into English script: https://maritain.nd.edu/jmc/etext/hop09.htm

Yes, that introduction sounds perfect - the two-page introduction is too short to make a separate section so I've just included the introductions to each section with the first chapter.

Alternatively, if it's all too tricky, feel free to switch sections if you haven't started recording yet.